The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Happy Horse Home Study Course "Retirement Party"

Has anyone succumbed to the 8 million marketing e-mails and ordered the course before it is "retired" and we have to pay the SIGNIFICANTLY increased price for the new course?

If anyone does have the course, is it valuable for someone already showing 3rd level or is 80% of the course geared to lower level riders?

Guess I have been on the fence about it but don't want to pay $600 for hours and hours of lessons on how to get your horse on the bit and what a half halt is.

I am also one that learns better by DOING than by being subjected to lots of theory talk so am unsure if I will have the discipline to watch all the DVD lessons (since I don't have a DVD player and big screen TV in my arena and can't watch them while on my horse - LOL!)

I do have access to good training on a regular basis but am always looking for ways to improve, especially when riding at home.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

There are 20 lessons, the last one is on flying changes.

I am a lower level rider and it's been helpful to me, not the least in helping me retain some semblence of sanity this past winter.
    ETA: I believe you can copy the CD's to an iPod
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

The course is excellent IMO. What you get out of it will depend on how you approach it. Jane went to great lengths to provide the same information by audio, video and text to accomodate all learning styles.

If you are open to different perspectives and want to know the details of why and not just how, you might like it. If you're one of the people who buy books and skip to the chapter on whatever it is you are working at the moment without regard for the prerequisites, you probably won't like it. YMMV.