The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default just throwing this out for the feed gurus....

I am feeding my 17 year old, fit and active TB mare Nutrena Life Style Senior feed. She is doing better on it than anything else I have tried.
    For years on these forums I have heard people raving about what great feeds the Triple Crown feeds are and skipped over them because the feed was not available here. (You could get it but you had to order it because the dealers didn't stock it.) Well, suddenly it IS available. A nearby feed store is carrying it.
    So, is there anything that anybody can tell me about why Triple Crown might be a better feed than my current Nutrena Senior? It costs $5 more per bag, I am happy enough with Nutrena that I am not eager to jump into an experiment, but I am interested in opinions.

Nobody can give you any black and white about whether a given horse will do better on the TC

I can tell you it's probably the lowest sugar Sr feed out there, high quality, and is pretty darn palatable.

If you're happy, she's doing well, there's no real reason to try.

You MIGHT find (but only if you try LOL) you could feed less, since it's lower in sugars, and potentially spend less $$ even though it's $5 more per bag.

How much do you feed now?

I am feeding about 5 pounds a day. I was feeding less until the fly season started driving her crazy. She also gets beet pulp and Amplify.
    I am all about the least processed feed/grainlike feed possible.
    Lower sugar is always a good thing.

Last I knew, that Nutrena Sr was 19% NSC. The TC Sr is 11%. So, as far as Sr feeds go, the Nutrena isn't too too bad, particularly compared to Purina Sr which is in the mid 20's.

It would be interesting to switch her to the TC Sr and drop the Amplify and see what happens

If that worked, it would be nice.
    Have to think about that. (While using up the brand new Amplify.)

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Can I hijack for a moment? I'm currently feeding my 13 yo gelding and a 28 yo boarder gelding with light Cushings. It's summer and they've been each getting literally 1 cup of Purina Sr every day with their vit/min supplement. They live out 24/7 and always have access to a shared stall that they use whenever it's too hot, too windy, too rainy, too cold.

As we go into winter I know I'll have to up my gelding to 2-3 # of feed as he can't eat enough hay to keep his weight up. Last winter he did just fine on Purina Sr.

Since the 28 yo is a bit ribby (owner's preference due to the Cushings) I know I'm likely to need to supplement his hay to keep his weight up and I'll need to feed something else. My options are somewhat limited and what I know I can get in low carb are:

Purina Wellness
    Nutrena Safe Choice
    LMF Low NSC Stage 1

I'm assuming the LMF is my best choice?