The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse not happy about having 1 shoe nailed in.

As many of you know, my horse has had lameness issues since Jan. Unfortunately, he still isn't 100% sound to me. I decided to try hind shoes to see if it would make him more comfortable behind. Well, my farrier came out and put the left shoe on and everything was fine. When the farrier was nailing in the two nails closer to the toe on the right hind, my horse kept trying to pull his leg away and rush down the aisle. He was fine with the other two nails being put in that are farther back. My farrier said that this can happen when they are sore somewhere.
    What do you think? He has never reacted like this when he has had shoes put on and this was only 1 hoof.

The farrier is likely correct. Did he apply hoof testers? The vibrations from the shoe being nailed could indicated pain higher up as well.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Hoof did not test positive. He has great feet. So I'm thinking there is still something wonky in that hind leg. Do coffin bones test positive from hoof testers if they are sore?

That can be a sign of shivers, or sometimes EPSM.

An x-ray of the foot will tell you if there's something going on inside the foot to cause the reaction.