The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Apparently, I'm out of touch when it comes to feed

My perpetually somewhat hard keeper has decided this year that he is no longer a hard keeper. He is at a perfect spot now in his weight. I've been cutting back his Fibergized Omega all spring, and last week I got to the point where I added a ration balancer to the little bit of FO he's getting. Well, apparently RBs and Toby don't agree, as he's been unfocused and hypervigilant all week!

I Haven't had to shop for feed in a couple of years, and was surprised when I turned to my go-to Pennfield to realize that most of the line is now gone (I intellectualized that this had happened, but it didn't really sink in until last night!). I ended up on the Nutrena site, and the feed calculator thing gave me some options, but I am unfamiliar with any of their feeds....beyond what they left of the Pennfield line, that is.

So, any suggestions for a lower calorie, high fiber, low NSC, preferably textured feed? Horse is a thoroughbred with a very high metabolism that is in moderate work. He basically has free choice forage (high quality pasture 12-15 hours a day- this is why he's approaching almost fat- and high quality hay in his stall). I will not feed Purina. Price point is not a concern. Since he is boarded, I want simple suggestions (no "well, you shouldn't feed that processed crap! Feed oats and alfalfa pellets and beet pulp...." I'm a big enough PITA boarder to not want to be any worse than I am). I have access to most feed brands, but I've fed Pennfield for going on 10 years, so, besides Triple Crown Senior, and a brief encounter with Cavalor, I'm totally out of touch!

1 members found this post helpful.

No way would I change the feed if he's been doing this well on it. Keep your F.O. Just diminish the amount if he's getting chubby. In summer on good forage, he might do with little more than a handful. As a last resort, you can slow down his hay eating with a net.

I second the Triple Crown products, they are great.

I am not sure what you have available where you are located, but I have a hard keeping TB also and I use a product from Haystack called "Special Blend" which is: Alfalfa, Timothy, Beet pulp, Flax, Rice Bran, Canola. Steamed into a pellet. NO Molasses or other binders. Low NSC, high fat (6%).

If you could find something comparable where you are at, that might be good enough. Check with some other feed stores to see what brands they carry. Look for a "Mom & Pop" type - you'd be surprised!

Triple Crown Lite is sort of like a ration balancer in that it has a higher concentration of vitamins/minerals than most feeds but at a normal (12%) protein level. They recommend feeding no more than 4 lbs per day. It's low in fat, calories, and NSC and high in fiber, but it is a pellet.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

2 members found this post helpful.

I feed TC Lite to my easy keeping, out-full-time guys. I don't even make it to 4 lbs in the summer, though, so I add a multivite from SP. I looked at ration balancers but the Lite seems to do the trick by itself mostly.
    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

My somewhat easy keeping QH gets a pint of TC Sr and a multi vitamin rather than a ration balancer. He just doesn't need the calories.

For a ration balancer, Buckeye Gro N Win is my fave.
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Oregon, sitting on my couch looking out the window at a mountain

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    My perpetually somewhat hard keeper has decided this year that he is no longer a hard keeper. He is at a perfect spot now in his weight. I've been cutting back his Fibergized Omega all spring, and last week I got to the point where I added a ration balancer to the little bit of FO he's getting. Well, apparently RBs and Toby don't agree, as he's been unfocused and hypervigilant all week!

I Haven't had to shop for feed in a couple of years, and was surprised when I turned to my go-to Pennfield to realize that most of the line is now gone (I intellectualized that this had happened, but it didn't really sink in until last night!). I ended up on the Nutrena site, and the feed calculator thing gave me some options, but I am unfamiliar with any of their feeds....beyond what they left of the Pennfield line, that is.

So, any suggestions for a lower calorie, high fiber, low NSC, preferably textured feed? Horse is a thoroughbred with a very high metabolism that is in moderate work. He basically has free choice forage (high quality pasture 12-15 hours a day- this is why he's approaching almost fat- and high quality hay in his stall). I will not feed Purina. Price point is not a concern. Since he is boarded, I want simple suggestions (no "well, you shouldn't feed that processed crap! Feed oats and alfalfa pellets and beet pulp...." I'm a big enough PITA boarder to not want to be any worse than I am). I have access to most feed brands, but I've fed Pennfield for going on 10 years, so, besides Triple Crown Senior, and a brief encounter with Cavalor, I'm totally out of touch!
    If he's at a perfect spot in his weight, why change anything??

I've succumbed a couple times over the years to buying into "my horse needs feed" but I always end up going back to plain hay pellets to mix in a vitamin/mineral supplement or vitamin e or salt or whatever it is they might need.

I tried a ration balancer recently but it made my mare whacko and my gelding less whacko but still a bit "off" - took them off it and they are back to themselves.

Back to just they hay pellets for me.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Triple Crown Complete or TC Senior are great if you can't do a ration balancer. High quality forage is always the best.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    If he's at a perfect spot in his weight, why change anything??

I've succumbed a couple times over the years to buying into "my horse needs feed" but I always end up going back to plain hay pellets to mix in a vitamin/mineral supplement or vitamin e or salt or whatever it is they might need.

I tried a ration balancer recently but it made my mare whacko and my gelding less whacko but still a bit "off" - took them off it and they are back to themselves.

Back to just they hay pellets for me.
    Good question. And one I'm asking myself! I think I figured since he's getting so little, I need to make up the difference in vit/min somehow.

I think the Triple Crown Senior meets all of the needs you mentioned. Check the numbers on TC Lite too (I'm not sure about them). Also, if you go to Triple Crown's website, there is an option to do a chat with a nutritionist and they can help pick the right feed for him. Of course, they will only suggest TC products, but it might be a good starting point.

TC 30% ration balancer made my QH high as a kite. I've now tried it 3 times, same reaction. I switched to Nutrena Balance and he's doing great.

I really like TC Senior and Complete, but you do have to feed a minimum of 5 lbs.

Cargill Ag is the conglomerate that owns Nutrena, parts of Purina, and various milling outfits around the world that actually make Triple Crown, Stable Mix, and God knows what else. It's just really, really hard to get completely away from the corporate feed. TC Sr. is very high fat*, 1% NSC, but if you want to stay away from pigginess, the TCLite is the better bet. I think it's low cal.

*16% iirc. I'll go out and look at my sack and correct here if I'm wrong.

Good question. And one I'm asking myself! I think I figured since he's getting so little, I need to make up the difference in vit/min somehow.
    Well, you could always just add a good old vit/min supplement. I don't know what you have access to, but there are a ton out there - around here, we even have some formulated by local companies specifically for the needs of the area. And most are ~$20/month for the basic line.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I'm not sure why people keep recommending TC Senior, as I consider parallel to Fibergized Omega. It's what my retired guy eats and what Toby would eat if I couldn't get FO. I want something a little less high octane. Probaby lower fat. But it seems tricky to find less fat but still keep the fiber up.

Well, looking purely at the numbers, Pennfield's Ultra Performance has lower protein (12% instead of 14%) and fat (10% instead of 12%) with similar fiber (15% instead of 16%). Not sure if that's low enough for what you're thinking, though.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Another vote for Triple Crown Lite.

And I am pretty sure that in THIS part of the country, Southern States manufatures the TC feeds themselves.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I'm not sure why people keep recommending TC Senior, as I consider parallel to Fibergized Omega. It's what my retired guy eats and what Toby would eat if I couldn't get FO. I want something a little less high octane. Probaby lower fat. But it seems tricky to find less fat but still keep the fiber up.
    If I read everything correctly, your normally hard keeping TB is actually doing so well that you cut back his Fibergized and added a rb to make sure he is getting enough vitamins and minerals because you were feeding the Fibergized at below the recommended amounts. But you think the rb made him too hyper.

I'd stop the rb and add a vit/min supp if you really feel it's necessary, or bump up the Fibergized a bit. Or, you can't get the Fibergized any more? I'm a little confused. I do well with skinny tbs by feeding TC Senior and TC 30%, really love the TC Senior. But I'm not riding them, just fattening them up to go back to the track. It is low NSC, though, mostly beet pulp and a pellet.

The more affordable edge of Eventing Heaven, VA

You might want to consider the Mccauley's M-10; no corn no soy, iirc. 10% protein, designed to be something of a ration balancer without the protein punch of a typical RB. It has become quite popular, and gotten a lot of good feedback from folks using it.
    Leap, and the net will appear - A Salty Piece of Land, Jimmy Buffett

Not really .... there are quite a few products that are low fat, low starch, and high fiber, but they're primarily pellets rather than textured.

Have you looked into TriCounty Feeds? I think they're local to you and they produce a (textured) product called HyFybe that's 11% protein, 6% fat, 20% fiber, and 15% NSC.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"