The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by concertogrosso View Post
    I believe in the well bred Holsteiner (or cross with TB) for international eventing. Just look at Cavalier Royale, a Holsteiner stallion that stood Ireland, he's uncle of one of our stallions. He produced extremely well, had two horses in this year's Rolex for example.

Windfall the famous Trakehner bred lots of mares and his kids are doing well in sport, and there are of course other warmblood breeds that are good for eventing.
    There is still such a variety of breed blood at the upper levels I see no way to narrow it down to one breed, especially one warmblood breed, as most warmblood breeds are not pure stand alone entities, they have heavy influence from other WB breeds plus others. Trakehners and SFs have always done well, mostly because they are a lighter type with more TB influence (and some Arab, in the case of Traks) than the other breeds.

The only blood seen in nearly all upper level types is going to be TB. Whether on its own, or crossed into WB, Irish, or even QH and Arab. Other than that, there is no narrowing it down to one that beats out the rest. Eventing is about types, not breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthehorse View Post
    There is still such a variety of breed blood at the upper levels I see no way to narrow it down to one breed, especially one warmblood breed, as most warmblood breeds are not pure stand alone entities, they have heavy influence from other WB breeds plus others. Trakehners and SFs have always done well, mostly because they are a lighter type with more TB influence (and some Arab, in the case of Traks) than the other breeds.

The only blood seen in nearly all upper level types is going to be TB. Whether on its own, or crossed into WB, Irish, or even QH and Arab. Other than that, there is no narrowing it down to one that beats out the rest. Eventing is about types, not breeds.
    Yeah, try saying that on the breeding forum

Default Reality Check: Tempermeant???

So Coal Creek's brother is for sale. So a relative of the Foreman turns up on Canter. So there's a gorgeous homebred with a floaty trot that always catches your eye on the drive home.

But ask yourself this: does the horse have the temperment? Few among us can ride like Buck or Philip. Few of us can sit chilly while our OTTB checks out of the building. Most horses are athletic enough for the task. The better question is: does the horse have the BRAIN for it? I think this is the risk people rarely consider when shopping for UL prospects, were wooed by breeding and flash, but ask yourself if you're not only prepared but able to deal with the mental highs and lows of your upper level potentialed youngster.

Sometimes it's best to just jump! Grab the laid back one on the track with the calm eye, good hind end, and nice sloping shoulder. Cross your fingers and hope!

Your next UL prospect might be in your neighbor's field!

We have a Competition/Training Partnership Program that allows riders "on a budget" acquire a quality mount. Although we primarily breed jumpers and hunters, some of our jumpers would make super eventers. Perhaps you could investigate this type of arrangement with other breeders?
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    We have a Competition/Training Partnership Program that allows riders "on a budget" acquire a quality mount. Although we primarily breed jumpers and hunters, some of our jumpers would make super eventers. Perhaps you could investigate this type of arrangement with other breeders?
    Is that John Brown riding in Ocala video?? He is great to ride with!

Quote Originally Posted by nextyear View Post
    Is that John Brown riding in Ocala video?? He is great to ride with!
    If the video is of a man riding, then yes it is John Brown- He's been our trainer for the last year and we LOVE him. He's been great with all of the young horses, he's so knowledgeable and so much fun!

Nextyear, do you currently ride with him?

Crap, you guys are killing me. I've had my eye on Cause I Like It for a while now. I really, really like her...and my dad would kill me if I brought another horse home!

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    Crap, you guys are killing me. I've had my eye on Cause I Like It for a while now. I really, really like her...and my dad would kill me if I brought another horse home!
    How many horses do you have? And how can I enable you?

Three, two of whom are retired and comparatively little trouble--the third is my eventer, and he is enough of a PITA for any six horses. If I got another one, I think we might all be out on the street! I'm just going to continue drooling from afar!

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    How many horses do you have? And how can I enable you?

If people would just start answering my phone calls like this, I'd be a much happier woman

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    Nextyear, do you currently ride with him?
    Yes, he comes to our farm about once a month or so, John is great!!Very insightful and everyone loves riding with him.