The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Texas Rose Novice - anyone done it? Tell me about the course!

What are your thoughts about the course? I've been hibernating these past few months but my pony is itching to get out Thinking about signing up for Novice at TRHP... Our last Novice was Corona ... haven't done much this season and want to go do something fun and pretty!

Any advice? Good, bad, indifferent? I've done a CT at TRHP but that was before the XC course was installed!

Novice peeps - is it average, easy, hard? I've schooled N/T at GW and MCP but only competed Novice at Corona so far.

Thanks!
    Mandy and Joy

I did not do it but I walked it in feb. and the course was...well random. But you have to remember the course was thrown together in less than a month when the facility changed course designers so they were planning on working on it more after the first show. I also believe that they are moving ALL the cross country, not the ULS like they originally planned, from the hill to the flat ground they were hoping to build a 1* and 2* course on. So if both are true then I don't really know the course and I don't think anyone but the facility would.

I hope they don't move the course to flat ground, part of what I liked about it was good use of terrain. In one area they placed a coop in the middle of a long sloping downhill gallop (where the ground leveled out a bit), then at the bottom they placed a wider house type fence....so it caused you to balance more than just a coop randomly stuck in a field.
    Besides the water jump, which I'm sure was a work in progress, the whole course was well put together and had some thinking questions on it, but with nice straightforward jumps. Hubby and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't say difficult, but I thought my horse came out stronger after the experience...might be silly to say at novice, but we both came away with a bit of knowledge and feeling pretty proud of ourselves. Also LOVE the dressage ring- it was above the huge warm up ring, and seemed just removed enough from all the action that I was focusing on my test and not what was going on around me.
    My only minor complaint isn't really a complaint, but just the way it is...the trailer hookups are so far from the barns you have to drive out of the facility and down the road, and the dirt access road was actually on the cross country, so not usable. Of course if they move the cross country then maybe that road becomes open. Since I tend to forget things, and make a million trips to the trailer, it required better planning on my part.

The only scary thing about this show is the cost. I might wait until the fall to see if I can afford it. I hope they use the terrain and don't move it to flat ground also, because it was much more fun, especially for people that are from further south Texas, where everything is flat.

well by flat I didn't mean flat because it still has hills its just no where near as steep as the current one. But I've heard from multiple people that they have in fact moved the xc to that area so im guessing it'll be like their first show all over again!

I LOVED the facility. Spread out, but GREAT warm up areas, and super footing in the rings.

I loved the terrain! Coming from flatland, it was really fun...but we were huffing and puffing (ok, *I* was huffing and puffing!) by the end. The last jump was a maxed out table after a looooong uphill gallop.

Difficulty wise, I'd say it's between MCP and GW, with the latter being slightly more difficult.

It's gonna be hot, though.....
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.