The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Confused about a breed class at Devon!!

What's the difference between the PA yearlings class and the non-thoroughbred yearling class at Devon? I want start showing my Oldenburg foal on the line and he was foaled in PA. I 'm not sure of the rules at the bred shows or what the advantages are for each one. Is the PA yearling class a mix of local TB's and WB's? Doe's the non-tb yearling class have more competition since it's open to all? He has great conformation and will go to the inspection and breed classes at Dressage at Devon in the fall, but I want to plan for next year! Which would you suggest?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lil capezio.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	29094  
    Thanks, Lauren

A lot of people do both classes. Generally the numbers are higher for the non-TB classes, since the PA bred are limited to just those foaled in PA. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks! Wasn't sure if you could do both! Also for the breed classes at Dressage at Devon, I guess I would enter my 2010 colt in the ISR OLD 2 & under class, but would I have to wean before the show or do most people bring the mare & foal? It's at the end of September. I wasn't going to wean until mid October. I just thought it would be hard to judge a weanling to a 2yo?
    Thanks, Lauren

Regarding DAD, I brought my foal (unweaned) with dam to show in his foal class, his breed class, produce of dam (with his older sister) and get of sire (with ditto). I thought he would trot better with dam and it was still about two months from the time I wanted to wean him. Many of the youngsters ARE weaned so depends on one's state of affairs.