The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fake Tails

I'm going to a show this weekend with my chestnut mare and she has the shortest tail. It look real dinky. Especially since she's such a nice mare. It's a schooling show and was wondering what people's feelings are on fake tails?

Personally I don't find them necessary for a schooling show. Most times I don't even see horses wearing them at C, B, or even smaller A shows, only at the really big A shows. But that might be because people are really good at blending them in I guess haha

But if you really think it will make the overall presentation of your horse look better and you can blend it without people knowing it's a fake tail, I see no reason not to go for it whenever you want
    Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
    RIP Tall Tales

I think that they look silly. The never look like a real tail to me.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

If you can put it in well enough to look natural, definitely go for it! IMO you can never put too much extra effort into your show turnout, no matter what rating it is!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    I think that they look silly. The never look like a real tail to me.
    That's probably because when you saw all the GOOD ones, you didn't know they were fakes.

To the OP: I wouldn't personally worry about it at a schooling show, but if you do something bigger and want to dress up that hind end a bit, go for it! I wouldn't recommend buying one "off the shelf," though. Go to your braider -- or if you don't have one, go to whoever does the big barns in your area. The braider will custom mix a tail for you that will be the right thickness and length for your particular horse. She will also show you how to install it properly.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I can't abide them.

But that's just me.

And I can make a really nice mud knot, and have been known to use it.

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...earMudknot.jpg

This was how we sent a horse into the ring at Upperville two years ago. It caused a stir, in quite a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    That's probably because when you saw all the GOOD ones, you didn't know they were fakes.

I wouldn't recommend buying one "off the shelf," though. Go to your braider -- or if you don't have one, go to whoever does the big barns in your area. The braider will custom mix a tail for you that will be the right thickness and length for your particular horse. She will also show you how to install it properly.
    Ditto!

I just bought a beautiful one from The Show Pen for my dark, dark bay horse with a mostly black tail.

But for a chestnut horse, I would probably have a braider make one. If you know how to properly put one in, you can put it in without even braiding the tail down.

With a good fake tail, you can't tell the difference from that or a real one.

My horse has a nice tail, but I wanted it to look a little fuller, especially since we venture over to the breed circuit side of things. Her tail colors are very mixed- black, chestnut, flaxen, but I found an extension through The Show Pen that matches perfectly, and when it's in you have to take a double look to try to figure out if its all natural.

if you are good at putting one in you can never tell a horse has one on. I love to use them at shows. I think they really add to a horses overall apperance if you can get one in and you can't tell it's a fake. On the flip side, if you cannot put one on her a "hide" the fact it's a fake I would just hold off since it's a schooling show.
    Good Luck

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

If a horse's natural tail detracts or distracts from an overall polished appearance, I'd use a fake.

My personal pet peeve is that so many people now use them on horses that have perfectly normal tails, it makes horses with decent natural tails look skimpy unless they have one, too.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

If you are going to try it - do a test run with it in first. My first horse (move up from ponies) had a thin, short tail and we put a fake in. He proceeded to carry both tails a la Arab and looked ridiculous.

I think a "tail enhancement" can balance the hip on a horse when braided. I don't like the look of the one-pounders that the QH people use, but a nice 1/4 to 1/2 pound tail looks terrific on most horses.

Properly matched and trimmed, then attached correctly, a fake tail is pretty hard to distinguish from the real thing.

My gelding wears one, my mare finally grew enough tail that she can go without this year.

I would definitly for a C, A, AA show or even a really nice local circuit. I dont think its necessary for a schooling show but you do what you want

I hang a lot of fake tails when I braid, and generally find that the people using them have horses with less than adequate natural tails. Every once in a while, I'll come across one and roll my eyes, but they never end up looking terrible.

My horse has a moderate tail. I could probably get away with using a fake, but I don't really find it necessary. A barn mate recently picked up a very modest tail for her mare who's a little bit spindly looking. It's made a world of difference taking the angles down on an otherwise severe looking horse.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

I wouldn't worry too much about the tail if it's a schooling show. If you must, then make sure you have somebody who knows how to put on a fake tail and make it look natural for you.
    Proud owner of 2 Oldenburgs

I rode a horse for a friend of mine (who is a braider) at a small local show. The mare had a scrubby tail which of course embarrassed her braider mom. And so a fake tail was used and it looked great. But the mare tended to wring her tail so halfway through the last course....she lost her fake tail while executing the small buck to lead change It was pretty funny. I am very glad that happened at a small show. I might have been a bit embarrassed if it happened at a bigger show But if you use one, make sure it's fastened correctly and if your horse tends to flip or wring their tail....maybe don't use one

Never had to use one. My boy has one thick tail. I guess if you do a really nice job, and blend nicely, it would be okay. Since it's just a schooling show, its not nessesary but you can experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    My horse has a nice tail, but I wanted it to look a little fuller, especially since we venture over to the breed circuit side of things. Her tail colors are very mixed- black, chestnut, flaxen, but I found an extension through The Show Pen that matches perfectly, and when it's in you have to take a double look to try to figure out if its all natural.
    I have a question??? Don't the rules for breeding and conformation classes forbid use of artificial appliances???? And a fake tail falls in that catagorey.
    Like the "Young Hunter Under Saddle" classes where they have to strip. And mind you a well placed fake tail certainly enhances the picture but over abundance of tail just screams FAKE

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    I have a question??? Don't the rules for breeding and conformation classes forbid use of artificial appliances???? And a fake tail falls in that catagorey.
    Like the "Young Hunter Under Saddle" classes where they have to strip. And mind you a well placed fake tail certainly enhances the picture but over abundance of tail just screams FAKE
    I think wattie is talking about breed shows (AQHA, Paints, etc) not the USEF breeding classes. 99% of the exhibitors at breed shows use fake tails.

My advice to the OP would be to use the tail at any schooling show you can get to--it will give the horse a chance to get used to it.