The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do I sell my horse?

Removed.
    Last edited by Meggan82; Mar. 7, 2011 at 06:15 PM.
    Canada - where summer means that the ice is too thin to skate on............

Hmm seems like you have two options -

a) find someone local that is horseless who wants a horse to free-lease or ride regularly and get him back in work that way

b) on his past pictures and glory, sell him for less "as-is" not in work.

Oh yes and everyone lives in igloos and travels by dogsled.

PS before someone calls me cranky I swear there was a laughy thing there but it did not show up and now when editing, I don't see that option. What's with that?

PPS and speaking of skating on thin ice, why can't you place an ad spelling out what you are looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    Oh yes and everyone lives in igloos and travels by dogsled.
    ..and herein lies the reason I was hesitant to post on here at all. I was hoping for constructive advice.

Isn't there a riderless horses thread you could post on? I just retired my horse, and can afford to keep another one, but not to buy another. A free-lease situation would be awesome for me. Alas, I am in California. But surely there are others who might want a horse to ride to get in to shape.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Default put him on the net

equine.com and warmbloodsforsale.com are pretty good sites.
    Good luck finding him a good home.

Have you considered just leasing him out so he is there for you when you can get back to riding? Could be a paid lease. Perhaps offer a lease to own as an option? This gives people some level of comfort that the horse will be what you say he is once he gets fit.

I suppose it depents too, as to how much you want for him, and if he has a proveable show record. Someone is more likely to take a risk on an out of work horse if he has scores at a higher level, than they would an unproven horse. It will also help if you have video of him from when he was fit.

if he was formerly a higher level horse, an up and coming trainer may be interested in taking him on to sell on commission without charging you so much, as it will be a good opportunity for them.

I sometimes take horses on commission with the owner paying expenses (feed, vet, farrier), so you may find a similar situation available at one of the smaller barns if you present it to them.

Good luck.

Karen

Sent you a PM.

Hi There,

I'm on the opposite side of the state....but have you thought about placing an ad on the NCDCTA site and maybe on NC Horse News?

I would also send emails out to all the local dressage instructors and see if any of them have students looking for horses.

Another suggestion that has worked for me before.
    Is there a local University around that has an equine program (or not). I have advertised for barn help/rider and gotten some great help in the past. Typically someone thathas had to keave their horse home whilst at school and is dying to ride. Maybe that will get your horse going again and more marketable. There are so many out there right now he really needs to be in work for you to get anything for him.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cottagefarm View Post
    Another suggestion that has worked for me before.
    Is there a local University around that has an equine program (or not). I have advertised for barn help/rider and gotten some great help in the past. Typically someone thathas had to keave their horse home whilst at school and is dying to ride. Maybe that will get your horse going again and more marketable. There are so many out there right now he really needs to be in work for you to get anything for him.

Good Luck!
    I recently ran an ad in our local paper looking for a junior rider needing a horse to show this summer. I am pleased with the results. We are in an area with a lot of schooling shows, fix a tests, and horse trials. An 18 year old young man near by has been riding one of our horses for about two months now. He has primarily done eventing and his dressage was his weakest discipline. He is a good rider and works at it.

The horse stays at my place so I pay for his upkeep. I also had to supply some tack. I pay for his lessons with my instructor. He pays for his schooling shows, fix a test, etc. The rider will get a commission when the horse sells even though I am doing all the advertising, marketing, etc.

In the meantime the horse just went up for sale as he is now fit enough for someone to try. I cannot justify paying riders in this economy. So this has been a very good solution.

BTW, try not to be offended if someone makes you a low ball offer. That is just the way the economy is now.

I used to live in that area and always rode horses like yours. I grew up horseless and needed something to ride.

NC Horse News message board is a great place to post about this horse to find someone to ride. If you are willing to pay a few dollars a ride for gas, Im sure you could find a teenager to help you out.

Good Luck!

I sent you a PM, we are in NC and offer very reasonable marketing board. We have a good track record.

I really think how you advertise him depends on his price range.

IMO under 10k just put up an ad saying he's been out of work and you're getting a steal of a deal.

Over 10k I would do as others suggested post (Craigs list FTW) for a rider who wants to exercise (obviously check them out) and get him back in work maybe have the rider take x lessons per week.

Over 30k pay the 950 a month for a pro and get him back in gear and sold.
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.