The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default lessons in NC?

Can anyone please give me some suggestions/recommendations on good eventing barns that provide lessons in the Fayetteville, NC area?

Looking for a place that preferrably might have some lesson horses to ride; doesn't have to be super fancy nor geared towards a lot of showing, just a nice, solid, well run place with good basic instruction up to Training Level. The possiblity of boarding and putting a horse into training at a later date would be very nice as well.

I live in Fayetteville also and make the drive to Raeford for my my boarding and riding. It's a little bit of a drive but completely worth it. I've yet to hear of a barn that meets your requirements within the city.

You're welcome to PM me and I can put you in contact with some people that might be able to help. Good luck!

Thanks! Pm sent!

Denise Adomoines just built a beautiful morton barn on 254 acres! Beautiful with a pond! She has lesson horses and does boarding as well. Great person and instructor! PM me and I will give you her number!

It is only 20 mins out of Fayetteville, near Erwin. Her husband fought in Iraq and passed away there. Lets try and support her!!

She is also looking for a working student/someone to feed nights in exchange for board.

Heidi Lord
    Fast First Farm

It's worth it to do your homework in that neck of the woods, and honestly, to travel to Southern Pines.

Yes, there are ALOT of ugly mean hearted people that like to talk down about people they do not even know! Risking injury to their students on a regular basis

Ok...that fills me with confidence...

Give me some knowledge...what's up with checking out Southern Pines?

If it's anything like around here, I'm sure the ratio of good, professional places is vastly outnumbered by fly by night, dicey places, and there is a lot of back stabbing and trash talking....yay

Meaning that, you do not have to drive all the way to Southern Pines to find good instruction! There are some great trainers locally!

Denise is fabulous and is Charlie Plumb's stable manager as well. She is closer and less expensive. If she does not work, she may know of some others as well.

Good Luck! It just upsets me when people talk about others they do not even know and never have anything good to say! Especially when they live in California!

I myself, showed jumpers in New England for a long time and was New England and Vermont Jumper Champion. Also did dressage for 20 years, and now Event for the last ten. I live on the coast but you will find most people that Event very nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Domino'spal View Post
    Meaning that, you do not have to drive all the way to Southern Pines to find good instruction! There are some great trainers locally!

Denise is fabulous and is Charlie Plumb's stable manager as well. She is closer and less expensive. If she does not work, she may know of some others as well.

Good Luck! It just upsets me when people talk about others they do not even know and never have anything good to say! Especially when they live in California!
    JUST because I am in THAT kind of mood. . . and I know both Denise (and Charlie) AND 53. . .

53 lived and trained here for quite awhile prior to her move to the left coast. Her suggestion was not a slam at Denise.

Sounded like it

I think there's a greater concentration of both good instruction and cattyness in Southern Pines, but anywho...

Depending on where you are in Fayetteville, you could also travel down to Sanford and try out Karen Mahaffey.

Considering that during the winter you can't throw a rock without hitting a 4* rider, and during the summer you just have to kind of aim a bit, I don't see what's wrong with suggesting the SP area.

Remember that google and the USEA database is your friend. :-)

Jennifer

The problem with most of the BNRs in the So. Pines area is that they don't usually have lesson horses, which is the OPs problem (I think she said that she is planning on getting a horse in the future, but currently does not have one?). There are quite a few of the lesser known riders that have horses to ride, though - Shawna Dunlap, Kris Hamilton, Andrea Glenn, and Karen Mahaffey come to mind.

Denise is your best bet in the Fayetteville area, as I'm sure she has a horse for you to ride. If, for some reason, you cannot get access to her place (Erwin is about 20-30 mins from Fayetteville/Fort Bragg, depending on which side of town you live on), I'd go straight to So. Pines. There isn't anybody else in Fayetteville that events.

Btw, I also know Denise, 53, Dana, AND Charlie, as I've been here in town a while (7+ years), and 53 wasn't slamming anybody.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Default I actually just asked this question a few months ago!

Yay, great to learn there's another eventer in Fayetteville! I actually asked about instructors a few months ago, only difference is I do have a horse who is boarded in Vass, so I got several names from the So. Pines area. Here are some recommendations:
    Lynn Doki, Walhalla Farms, Aberdeen--dressage rider, I've ridden with her once and she is good, but no school horses.
    Christan Trainor, Vass, eventer--ridden with her once also, she seems good so far, but again, no school horses
    David and Lauren O'Brien, Kincora Farm, Vass--eventers
    Karen Mahaffey, Erin Lea Farm
    Andrea St.Hilaire-Glenn at Glenbaer Farm, Carthage--this one does have school horses, or says she does--I tried to get up with her and it never worked out--do let me know if you are able to have a lesson with her!
    Nanci Lindroth at Windfall Farm--eventer
    Will Faudree at Gavilan Farm--eventer
    Denny Emerson at Tamarack Hill--eventing, but only here during the winter months

I haven't really worked my way down the list yet. Good luck!
    The hooves of the horses! Oh witching and sweet is the music earth steals from the iron-shod feet. Will Ogilvie

Thumbs up

Briana Atwell Owen-2nd Chance Farm in West End-has lesson horses that event/dressage. We go to events-great family atmosphere-we have a few people that come from the Fayetteville area. PM me for her phone number if interested-she is really good. She will also travel to you.

Thanks all, for the suggestions and advice.

I'm helping my daughter to look (probably should have mentioned that in the OP) -- she's stationed at Ft. Bragg, and would like to get back into riding. Mostly lunge lessons to improve her seat to begin with and go from there (she'd really, really like to work on improving her position and timing, can't get enough of that sort of work). She's more "into" jumpers, but also likes eventing and likes to train her horses in all three phases (I encourage her to train in all three phases -- being well rounded is important). A lot of showing isn't her goal, but working on getting better is (she doesn't have the time or budget at this point in her life to be showing a lot). She would also be looking to bring her horse out at some point in the future If she can swing it, she might even bring both of her horses out. She would really want to feel confident about where she was putting them though.

I know her pretty well, and if she has a fault it's being a bit too nice and too soft spoken. Her ideal barn would be one where everything was neat, orderly, and calm, with an emphasis on basic horsemanship. She would definitely not do well in a loud or dramatic environment, or one where being a "showgirl" is the end all be all -- jumping out of airplances doesn't phase her; a lot of people being dramatic, chaotic, or showy does
    So that's what we're looking for.

Should would do great at Denises then, small barn, very quiet.

All the other trainers are great too! Some people do not need to ride with an upper level rider!

Good Luck!

Denise has some great lesson horses too! And again, is the widow of an Army Helicopter Pilot!

Quote Originally Posted by regalace View Post
    Andrea St.Hilaire-Glenn at Glenbaer Farm, Carthage--this one does have school horses, or says she does--I tried to get up with her and it never worked out--do let me know if you are able to have a lesson with her!
    I second this recommendation. Andrea is a very good horseperson and her horses are fun and honest.

(My two youngest mares have been in training with Andrea for over a year. They're very happy there. )