The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not sure about breed but I vote grey horse. That's a pretty light tail and in the pics it looks like he has some roaning on his face. A friend of mine once brought home what she thought was a great deal on a child's horse. She thought she got an 8 yr old black hony that turned out to be a still growing 3 yr old that would end up grey and looked a lot like your guy. Enjoy him and bless you for taking him on.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

he's very skittish, and is a big ball of energy. He never seems to just be relaxed.
    Sounds like my dear, departed TB mare--look at his eyes in that one pic, and his legs, they're a bit light (from the knee and hock on down) to be full QH....
    "I'm not much into conspiracy theories, but if everyone thinks alike you don't need a plot...." comment I read on a Yahoo board years ago--but it still rings true!

my first thought actually was part TB--but agree that likeliest mostly QH--perhaps from racing stock. Look at pics of racing 2 and 3 yr old QHs. He should be handy as a pocket in a shirt.

i see appendix(qh/tb),with a mix of appy in there somewhere.

I go for a roan colored qH. I don't see appy at all in him or much of anything else. I'm sure he is probably not full qh but thats what he looks like and just a roan. I don't think he is going to gry. Probably stay like he is and maybe get some more roaning on him. He looks great by the way.

And like I say about my daughters qh pony, he is a quarter this and a quarter of that.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

His color is definitely very interesting. His tail is silvery gray, and his face is starting to gray out...you can kind of see it here:

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...160cb6446e.jpg

His muzzle, above his eyes, and on his jaw are graying out...he even has a small gray star. One of his pasterns is also gray speckles.

However, his body has shades of brown mixed with black and white hairs.

I'm excited to see what color he really ends up, lol. He's definitely one interesting mix, that's for sure.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I wonder....they can test mutts for heritage, can they do that for American Warmbloods, too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I wonder....they can test mutts for heritage, can they do that for American Warmbloods, too?
    Ya know, I was thinking about that too the other day! Lol. I see those DNA kits of dogs all the time...I wonder if they can do that for horses?
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Several years ago I spoke with Dr. Cothran at a college in Kentucky about testing a horse of mixed parentage to determine what breeds the sire and dam were. At that time he told me it would be impossible to do it because he couldn't isolate the "markers", especially in a horse like a QH that had so many different breeds of horses in its background. Perhaps things have changed by now.
    "I'm not much into conspiracy theories, but if everyone thinks alike you don't need a plot...." comment I read on a Yahoo board years ago--but it still rings true!

A friend and I went for many years to catalog sales.
    We would walk around and guess at breeding and then look it up and practically all the time we were right, those characteristics that a certain line was known for, we could pick those offspring that had it in them close up.

That is what I was thinking, when I said he reminds me of so many of the Colonel Freckles colts in some features.
    Another that had similar breeding was his 3/4 brother Freckles Playboy and he also, as you can see here, had some resemblance in that long face with the higher set eyes and that kind of attachment of the head and neck:

http://www.bohlmanquarterhorses.com/...0pictures.html

Of course, this is a way out guess, because it seems that we will never know.

He does seem to be graying and with all that brown, he may stay dark for a while yet.
    We had a Hollywood Gold gelding that was that color until he was four.
    In fact the breeder, our neighbor, had registered him as brown.
    He had turned white by the time he was ten.

Your colt seems to be in good hands now and hopefully he will settle in for you and make a good horse.
    He is lucky that he ended up in your hands.

About 2 years ago I called the dna testing place for dogs and asked about horses, because I would loveee to know what a few of mine are for sure. They said the were working on it but it was yearrrrsssss away before they would have it. There were to many factors and lines that it makes it very difficult and it's probably anywhere from 5-10years from being possible.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole