The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Need help guessing the breed.....except I really have no answer!

So I took some pictures today of my rescue pony, and was amazed at how far along he has has come since I got him in December....covered in horrible rain rot, scrawny neck & butt, and skinny as a rail. He now has gained lots of weight, built muscle, and has a shine to his coat.

This is about a month after I had him...rain rot was starting to clear up....I regret not taking pictures of the day I got him...poor little guy was in horrible shape.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...55b6a57b3c.jpg

I was told he was a QH mix. Now I think he has to have some saddle-type horse in him, because he has a somewhat upright head carriage, and when he runs, he sticks his tail straight out, lol.

My vet thinks he's part Appaloosa, due to mottling of the muzzle.

So far....QH, Appaloosa, Arabian, Pony, lol.

He's about 14.1 hands, 2 1/2 years old (Vet believes he's a Fall 2007 baby). I figured I'd see what CoTHer's think! I'll probably never know what he really is, but I'd like to hear other people's thought's on what breed he might be!

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...7b2efb7c02.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...6e4a3f44b5.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...95ff75c2ba.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...71dbbc9d5e.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...11f26bd8af.jpg
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

All I see is quarter horse and, if your vet is right, appy, which many of them do have heavy quarter horse influence.

He seems to be in what we call the ugly duckling phase of growth, that so many colts go thru about that age, where nothing fits too well.

There are some very popular quarter horse lines that are lighter built like that and when not crossed carefully, end up with a few parts that don't match, but the parts themselves are not bad.
    If he was AQHA, I would say there may be some Colonel Freckles somewhere in there and that is always a plus, as they have a terrific work ethic and are sensible and accomodating with it, don't tend to get hot when they get fit.

His leanness, the extra low hocks that tie in so nicely, some seem to have a tad short hips as he seems to in one picture, good neck attachment, but a little shorter topline to the neck right now in some pictures may make it for him a little bit harder to move right, until he learns to carry the energy over his back to the front and the longer face, typical of geldings bred like that, that is hung onto the neck in what I call the woodpecker look.
    I have seen many such built colts called Cricket.

I would not be surprised if, by the time he is a mature horse, about six or eight years old, you won't even recognize him as the same colt and he may look all quarter horse, considerably more massive, although still light and athletic, plus a few maybe, possibly appy characteristics as the mottled muzzle and white sclera, if that is there and remembering that some quarter horses also show those, just not as much or as many of them as appys.

Many quarter horses do pull their tails over their backs when running excitedly, not necessarily only arabians do that.

The thing with a horse without papers or a confirmed history is that we can guess until the cows come home, but we will never know what all is in there.
    For most anything we want to do with any one horse, other than breeding or breed activities, no one cares.

I would give him time to grow up and, once mature, then see what you have.
    Your guess then may be easier, or still a puzzle.

well, that is certainly NOT an appy tail.........he looks really good......not a clue to the breeds, just obvious you have done a great job

He looks more Quarter to me than anything else.
    You've sure got him looking nice and healthy now!
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

My guess QH ~ enjoy your new boy ~ please update as he grows and sparkles.
    Last edited by Zu Zu; May. 2, 2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: general fix
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I don't think he's any part Arabian. Too sloped on his haunches and the tail is placed well down his butt. I don't know QH that well, but he seems to have the forelimb muscling not seen on a TB. So QH would be my guess. But I'm no expert so take it for what it's worth.

American Warmblood
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

All I see is QH too! The mottling on his muzzle could also be graying, he may end up a gray.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

This is why so many horses on the BEHS website are labeled grade. It is just too hard to tell!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

I'm goin' out on a limb here--I say half App or POA and half TB....

I see no Arab and as someone else said there is a lot of QH blood in the App lines....

Whatever breed he is he's darn handsome and you have him looking spiffy! Enjoy....
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

I don't see alot of TB in there really....to solid.

I would have to say a LOT of QH.....and maybe a touch of morgan with those withers and the way his neck is set?

my guess, Morgan appy/QH cross. perhaps some perch draft in the back there somewhere.

Well he looks QH to me, with a somewhat goosey rump and low gaskin, not at all ASB. TWH maaaybe, but he should have some gaiting action naturally.
    Very cute! You've done a good job.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    TWH maaaybe, but he should have some gaiting action naturally.
    Oooo...I could see the Tennesse Walking Horse maybe....but a very small about.

You can see a little bit here what I mean of the Coronel Freckles head set and face features in this foal:

http://ongaresca.com/scheda-cavallo.asp?l=en&id=294

That and his behind, his well filled in middle, not waspy behind as so many that age can be, the shape of the hips and tail set, that, if I was looking at several colts, would say this one of yours may have Coronel Freckles way back in there somewhere:

http://www.aqha.com/foundation/hallo...20Freckles.pdf

If you click on the little horse icon, you can see a picture of him as a mature stallion:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/colonel+freckles

Anybody's guess, but it is fun to guess.

As others have stated, he looks QH. Especially based on his gaskin. His shoulder doesn't seem so straight in the most recent pictures either. He certainly looks like he enjoys having his picture taken!

You've done a fantastic job. Here's to wishing you many happy years of partnership with this guy. Where did you rescue him from?

http://www.nokotahorsesforsale.com/images/154p1t.jpg
    Compare him to this photo of a Nokota horse.

He's a healthy, happy, shiny, spoiled horse breed!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Looks all QH to me, too.

My APHA carries his tail just like an Arab when excited. It's pretty funny to see the little bulldog racing around, tail held like a flag over his considerable hindquarters.

Thanks for all the guesses! Very interesting about the Coronel Freckles! He def. doesn't have the typical Appy tail, lol. It will be interesting to see how he fills out as he ages. I guess I never really knew much about QH conformation....interesting to see majority of people agree with the QH route!

I call him my "Craigslist rescue". His ad said he was a 2006 gelding who was super quiet, and had basic training. Even had a rider on his back.

Went to this farm in the middle of nowhere to find all the other horses in decent shape, and then there was this poor guy.....standing in a tie stall, super skinny, incredibly infected rain rot covering his whole body, as well as a ton of bite/kick marks (very low man on the totem pole). He seemed very friendly though, despite his poor state.

I was looking for an event prospect, but couldn't bear just leaving him there. Bought him cheap.

Find out later owners lied....he's a 2007 baby, and a late one (which means he had a rider on his back when he was a late 1y/o). Also has some incredible issues....hates having his mouth handled, was very head shy. As he's gained strength, he's no longer "quiet and easy".....he's very skittish, and is a big ball of energy. He never seems to just be relaxed.

But he seems to want to trust people, and is very friendly. My plans are to back him this fall, and see where he goes. He's come a long way...will let me bridle him, saddle him, halter him, and isn't quite as headshy. Long way to go though.

Breed doesn't matter as far as how much I like him...but it sure makes me curious! Thanks for all the guesses!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred