The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default boarding scam - nicely written though!

Got an email yesterday asking about boarding, it sounded legit so I replied, but her response today made me laugh - because Michigan is not south of Texas, now is it? Other than that, and the "pay the shipper for me" she did a good job on it -

1st email-

Hello There,
    I'm Pauline,i need to board my horse away from home for three months as i will be traveling for vacation with my family, I have the coggin and health certificate,i will need a full stall boarding or a pasture for the three months .. Let me know the price and any other requirement ...let me know a if space would be available by 08/28/09

Regards

Pauline

2nd email-

Hello ,
    Am really happy to have the breakdown and requirement for the boarding,i will be travelling for my vacation,am having less time to check the place out as my time is limited and have to meet up with my flight arrangement and other issues here before leaving ...am intending to move down to your area after the boarding expires ,that is why am having my horse moved down from NC

About my horse:
    NAME:Miami
    Year of birth:2001
    Sex:Gelding
    Height : 15.0 hands
    Base Color : Bay
    Breed:Thoroughbred
    Feed:Hay and Grains
    Registration Not registered
    Deworming due:2nd week of every three month
    Papers:Insurance,health certificate,Neg coggins
    Last Boarding:06/05/08
    Boarding stable: Golden Equine LLC
    Mailing address: 7907 Ken Bluff Dallas,
    Texas 75254.

Description:
    Good mannered and very sweet. Has been started under saddle with no problems. Up to date on everything. Very easy going and smart. Gentle and willing. Will be a very nice horse. No bad habits. Leads loads ties bathes and stands for vet and farrier.He is very smart and a very fast learner. He is not a spooky horse but very inquisitive. He is a smaller type and well balanced. He would be a perfect prospect for High School Rodeo; Goat tying, Barrels or poles. He loads and hauls great, doesn't become stressed. He also is easy to have shod. He loves people..
    I dont have much time as am busy preparing for my vacation but will have my hauler bring him..i would love to have the following info to make payment ahead to reserved a pasture or full stall boarding at you ranch,email the following info
    Your Name
    Addres
    City
    State
    Zip Code
    Phone number

The boarding start immediately you have the payment with you and it will include the hauler's fee as they receive their fee at the point of delivery ...I will be looking forward to have the contract for boarding for filling and signature.

I'll be glad to read from you soon

PAULINE
    "I gave my life to become the person I am right now. Was it worth it?”

Wow! It was pretty good. I wonder whose ad they copied to get that info on the horse?

Sounds good to me. Where does she mention Michigan in the emails you posted? How do you know this is a scam? I don't trust people that only send emails and why you?

she doesn't mention Michigan, but since thats where I live....

its a scam. the horse is located in NC but the barn address is in Texas. the barn does not exist, btw, or at least not according to Google. it eats "hay and grains", among other odd things. and she wants to send me money to pay the shipper, which is the most obvious one.

lots of people make their first contact by email but follow up with a farm visit, phone call, etc.

and why me? because scammers contact thousands of people and they get our addresses off of the internet - just search for " horse boarding in Michigan" and you can have my email address too.
    "I gave my life to become the person I am right now. Was it worth it?”

Default Why can't people figure this out....

Did you ever receive a funny joke, or horse related story? You then forward it to everyone in your address book. Email list sellers eventually get this email too. They harvest the address out of it, sell them to the scammers, and Viola EVERYONE gets these $hit emails from scammers.
    You want to save your friends, when forwarding emails copy and paste ONLY the JOKE delete all the email addresses....
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
    http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

Classic scam, but I am curious though, she's sending the boarding payment along with the payment for the hauler. Hauler gets paid when horse is delivered. So, do they actually deliver a horse? Or do they later email and say they have to use a different hauler and they require payment before delivery?

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    Did you ever receive a funny joke, or horse related story? You then forward it to everyone in your address book. Email list sellers eventually get this email too. They harvest the address out of it, sell them to the scammers, and Viola EVERYONE gets these $hit emails from scammers.
    You want to save your friends, when forwarding emails copy and paste ONLY the JOKE delete all the email addresses....
    I have a friend that JUST DOES NOT GET THIS! I tell her over and over as nice as possible, delete all the email names, out address in the blind copy and send, I finally told her DO NOT send me any more emails unless they were personal ones. She still sneaks one in once in a while, LOL! "Here's one I thought you would like, sorry!" She is so addicted to email forwards!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

We got the exact same email as the OP. I answered, asking for more information on her horse but never heard a thing back. I too, thought it sounded pretty "scammy" .

Quote Originally Posted by crewgirl34 View Post
    Classic scam, but I am curious though, she's sending the boarding payment along with the payment for the hauler. Hauler gets paid when horse is delivered. So, do they actually deliver a horse? Or do they later email and say they have to use a different hauler and they require payment before delivery?
    At some point the story would change and you would be asked to wire the money to the shipper.
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

ah that explains why I keep getting these emails to enlarge a non existent organ of my body...its because i get funny jokes forwarded to me via email!
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Quote Originally Posted by crewgirl34 View Post
    No, they have her wire the money to the hauler ahead of time. The check is fake, they get the wire code and pick it up in Nigeria, and when the check comes back she's out the money.

It's interesting how you can so clearly see the pattern after seeing enough of these!

The info looks to be grabbed off of an internet sales site.

Default I got this one...

And too many others to mention. Mine had Miami too, but in the first part it was a gelding, second part he had a sex change to a mare & name change as well. Here's what I wrote back:

Dear Asshat,

We are on to your scams and we have alerted all proper authorites as well as being on all the message boards.

Rot in hell scum.

They ACTUALLY responded with "thank you for your reply" and went on with the "I'll send money, blah, blah, blah...."
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    I have a friend that JUST DOES NOT GET THIS! I tell her over and over as nice as possible, delete all the email names, out address in the blind copy and send, I finally told her DO NOT send me any more emails unless they were personal ones. She still sneaks one in once in a while, LOL! "Here's one I thought you would like, sorry!" She is so addicted to email forwards!
    ME TOO! I have tried to teach all my friends JUST DELETE THE ADDRESSES and BCC WHEN YOU SEND JOKES but they do not get it. No wonder I get so much spam.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
    Here's what I wrote back:

Dear Asshat,

We are on to your scams and we have alerted all proper authorites as well as being on all the message boards.

Rot in hell scum.

They ACTUALLY responded with "thank you for your reply" and went on with the "I'll send money, blah, blah, blah...."
    The first few emails are always prescripted and are generally sent out by a junior person in the organization. They are sending so many emails, they don't have time or interest in reading what is said back. All they want to know is if you sound interested (i.e. are communicating). Once they are sure you're interested, they pass you up to a more senior member who will start to respond to some of your direct questions, but will still try to rely on scripts to save time and to move things along in the direction he wants.

I was contacted by this person a month ago! Total scam!

Brookside Guest

Default boarding scam

Hi,
    I just got the exact same email scam. I also am in Michigan. Of course I responded because I was busy and distracted. Did you report this? To whom?

winnielante Guest

Default very creative

I recieved two different version of this in the past 24 hours.

From Sarah:
    Hello There,
    I would be glad to board my horse at you barn,i read about you on craigslist,i would be happy if you can get back to me with the cost and requirment to board my horse for four months as i will be traveling to Australia for Business summit..i have the coggins and recent health papers ..
    Looking forward to read from you asap..

Then the next Message from Sarah:
    Hello,
    Thanks so much for the breakdown,i just got your mail now,i will be leaving for Australia soon but will have my mover bringing Simeon down to your barn,the time of the boarding falls between my vacation,i will be sending the payment ahead to make reservation for a full stall for him... The price for the boarding is reasonable and would like you to send me the following info in email,for me to mail out the payment to you via ups or fedex.email me the info in the following order:
    Full Name......
    Address......
    City.....
    Zip Code.....
    Phone number.....
    I will have the payment mailed to you as soon as possible and my mover will bring him down,the payment will include the hauler's fee as they accept their fee at the point of delivery ,please they will be responsible for the delivery and picking him after the agreement expires,i will also have them bring coggins and health document of simeon with them..i would love to have the agreement mail to me for signing and will have my hauler bring it with the neg coggins
    About stallion:An Arabian Breed geldin,Age 12 years,He has been all over the county to different horse events as my living lawn chair. You can count on him to be calm no matter how crazy everything else is. I have taken him too many different arenas and shows and he is always the same, reliable boy. he would be so great for a returning rider who wants to trail ride with friends and alone and needs a horse they can count on.
    He is very honest and kind, he does well in large groups, but is easy to ride alone as well.. he is very healthy and has always been barefoot. he trail ride with friends and alone and needs a horse they can count on.He is very honest and kind, he does well in large groups, but is easy to ride alone as well.. he is very healthy and has always been barefoot. he trailers like a champ, ties, clips, bathes the normal stuff.
    That is all i could say about him,i will be looking forward to read from you..
    Regards
    Sarah

I love how this horse is both a stallion and a gelding at the same time. "Proud Cut" I'm thinking

And today another version form "Mira" ::

Hello,
    How are you today,i was looking for a good barn to board my horse my four months and saw your advert,i went throught it and found out you have the facility to provide either full stall or pasture boarding for the period...pls get back with the requirements to have my horse board at your barn for this period..
    About my horse
    Name: Sammy
    sex:Gelding
    Breed:Arabian
    Paper available:Insurance,worming ,tetanus and coggins
    Intending Date for Boarding: 25/08/09 Let me know if you have a space available for this time and get back to me with the details required to reserved a space for her i;e cost for boarding for each months either PASTURE,FULL STALL OR PADDOCK
    Looking forward to read from you
    Regards
    Mira.

If I had the time I would play this game for a while but it's hard to justify wasting the time.

Default I just got this! And via ATT relay service

I cannot believe this, got a boarding inquiry via an ATT relay service operator, as in a request from someone who is hearing impaired. It gave me an email address (aol) to respond to the boarding request which I did, and I got this back. I had to reread it a few times, wanting to give any prospective client particularly one who may be hearing impaired a prompt response via email, but when I got to the meat and veg about the $$ I knew it was a scam. What a waste of time, they are so creative.

Would like to email back and ask for references and the name of the vet issuing the health certificate and his lic# and see what I get back. Again, just more waste of my time. UGH.

Just chiming in that they are now using relay service to make themselves sound legit.

Default Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner

I got this EXACT one with TTY call added in.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyhill View Post
    Got an email yesterday asking about boarding, it sounded legit so I replied, but her response today made me laugh - because Michigan is not south of Texas, now is it? Other than that, and the "pay the shipper for me" she did a good job on it -

1st email-

Hello There,
    I'm Pauline,i need to board my horse away from home for three months as i will be traveling for vacation with my family, I have the coggin and health certificate,i will need a full stall boarding or a pasture for the three months .. Let me know the price and any other requirement ...let me know a if space would be available by 08/28/09

Regards

Pauline

2nd email-

Hello ,
    Am really happy to have the breakdown and requirement for the boarding,i will be travelling for my vacation,am having less time to check the place out as my time is limited and have to meet up with my flight arrangement and other issues here before leaving ...am intending to move down to your area after the boarding expires ,that is why am having my horse moved down from NC

About my horse:
    NAME:Miami
    Year of birth:2001
    Sex:Gelding
    Height : 15.0 hands
    Base Color : Bay
    Breed:Thoroughbred
    Feed:Hay and Grains
    Registration Not registered
    Deworming due:2nd week of every three month
    Papers:Insurance,health certificate,Neg coggins
    Last Boarding:06/05/08
    Boarding stable: Golden Equine LLC
    Mailing address: 7907 Ken Bluff Dallas,
    Texas 75254.

Description:
    Good mannered and very sweet. Has been started under saddle with no problems. Up to date on everything. Very easy going and smart. Gentle and willing. Will be a very nice horse. No bad habits. Leads loads ties bathes and stands for vet and farrier.He is very smart and a very fast learner. He is not a spooky horse but very inquisitive. He is a smaller type and well balanced. He would be a perfect prospect for High School Rodeo; Goat tying, Barrels or poles. He loads and hauls great, doesn't become stressed. He also is easy to have shod. He loves people..
    I dont have much time as am busy preparing for my vacation but will have my hauler bring him..i would love to have the following info to make payment ahead to reserved a pasture or full stall boarding at you ranch,email the following info
    Your Name
    Addres
    City
    State
    Zip Code
    Phone number

The boarding start immediately you have the payment with you and it will include the hauler's fee as they receive their fee at the point of delivery ...I will be looking forward to have the contract for boarding for filling and signature.

I'll be glad to read from you soon

PAULINE
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
    http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com