The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What saddle do your male SO or male students ride in?

What saddle do your male SO or male students ride in? If your SO is a serious rider what type of saddle does he own or if he finds your saddle comfortable what do you own?

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I'm so used to women riders that I've never considered men riding in an english saddle. A lot of the male riders I've met prefer western saddles, but I'm wondering what type of english saddles work for men. They make different bike seats for men and women. Do men simply buy a larger seat size and the proportions all work out? I remember teaching children's riding lessons a while back and the beginner boys always had a better seat than the girls for the very practical reason that if they leaned forward it was really uncomfortable for them.

I'm going to look up some pro male riders and see what their preferences are but I'd like to hear from other COTHers what they think works or doesn't work.
    Last edited by Marengo; May. 2, 2010 at 06:49 AM.

This is a good question, I am wondering the same thing for my SO. Let me know what you find out! I think the right size seat is important to start, riding in my saddle certainly hasn't worked for him.

I ride a Stubben Scout. See http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/stu09Scout.html

It is a very comfortable seat. It has 10 d-Rings for stuff. It was designed post WWII by Stubben as their police/military saddle. It is clearly made for the male anatomy (in those days there were no female mounted police officers or soldiers).

My wife has tried it and does not like it. On the other hand I can ride her Siegfried VSD/DL without issues.

IMO either the Scout or the Siegfried is suited to the male rider.

G.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I always ride in Western. Tried English saddles but never found one that fit me because they were always fit to women with different bodies.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Black Country Equinox II.
    It's an english style endurance/trail saddle with dressage type flaps and stirrup position.
    He LOVES it. He is perfectly balanced in it and loves to gallop across fields in it.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Husband has an old County Competitior, with a very wide twist. We found a Collegiate AP, not sure of the model, for son. Also a wide twist. They both like their saddles, had no problems with soreness, except when not riding much, which happens to everyone. When riding fit, they would go all day with no comfort issues.

They ride sizes appropriate to their bodies, 17" I think. The old hand width behind your rearend to the end of seat. Both medium sized guys, not big or small boned.

Neither was that wild about Western saddles after they got good fitting English ones. Of course my Western saddles are very narrow twists, being picked for MY comfort. Their saddles are comfortable for me to ride in the ring, school a horse in, I just prefer Western for going trail riding.

Husband said he has advised some other males to look at the wide twist saddles, when shopping for new saddles. He said they were happy with those wider saddles. Most of his male riding friends are fox hunt folks, so comfort is EVERYTHING after some hours out in the field.

If you are shopping, he will just have to sit on a lot of saddles, try to find what fits him well.

Our problem was that most saddles were not wide enough to fit our Sporthorse animals with the WIDE shoulders and some height to the withers. So any saddle had to fit horses first, THEN the guys. Lots more to choose from now, than when we first got the Sporthorses years ago.

I ride Passiers and Stubbens...German saddles tend to fit guys, Crosby's are famous guy cripplers.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

My husband rode in a Wolfgang Solo dressage saddle from Custom Saddlery for a few years. It was a 19" saddle and fit him well. We don't have a need for it anymore, so we just put it on consignment with Custom Saddlery...

Mr. PoPo rides in Reactor Panels - both for dressage and jumping. He hasn't complained about the boys, so I assume all is a-ok!

My brother rides in an ancient (we got it used long ago) close-contact saddle (the square-cantle style, brand unknown but it's Swiss or German--Kloster?) and likes it. He has always actually preferred the cc style, while I am not a big fan, but now have a horse that likes a PDN so I ride in one I got off eBay. For dressage he uses my old Wintec Isabel. No problems with either.

DH rides a number of different horses and prefers saddles depending on which horse he is riding. He has:

County Competitor 18" this one is old.

Passier Grand Gilbert 18" this one is also old

Devacoux 17 1/2 this one is newish

County Innovation 17 1/2 jump this one is newish

Barnsby Cirrus 17 1/2 this one is oldish

All of these saddles seem to work fine for him.

Agree on the German saddles! We have a Stubben Seigfried VSS (extra forward flap). Mr. Seven doesn't ride often anymore (his horse passed away and since we no longer have them at home, he doesn't have another - yet). But he's tall (6'4") and the Stubben is both comfortable and has a forward enough flap to take up his leg. But he's also ridden comfortably in my Passier saddles, because I usually get a very forward flap too.

My husband rides and jumps in a Bates Caprilli Close Contact saddle with a long flap. He's 6' tall and thin and rides in a 17.5" seat.

My trainer also rides and jumps my horses in these saddles. (He is 6'2" and thin.) My trainer had a Collegiate Parfaire for a while that he (trainer) really liked. Mr.Phaxxton, however, was not a fan of the deeper seat and found it uncomfortable.

Like women, no one saddle is going to work for all men. Every one will have his own preferences, likes, and dislikes. The most important element for comfort is that it's the correct size.

No different! My personal favourite "brand names" are Barnsby and Fieldhouse.

My hubby is very much a beginner rider, but he has tried several (4 or 5) western saddles and disliked them all. He's only 5' 5" and 140 lbs. but he prefers an 18" english saddle.

Default Stubben

After 40 plus years I started riding again at age 60......I had a lightly used Tucker Equitation GEN II saddle, for the "Lady" who is now my Bride.....it was sold as she stopped riding due to surgery....it was very comfortable

I bought a lighly used ( as in two times ) Stubben Gaited Pleasure Saddle......It has turned out to be a great saddle for me.....The price was right too at $750.00....It was on Ebay (No Sale) and I contacted the owner, who had two of these saddles in different colors or sizes....She admitted to being a saddle addict.......

It is much like a dressage saddle with long billets and a deep seat......
    Berkley

My husband prefers either my old 17" Pessoa genx or his 17.5" Pessoa Legacy XP that he settled on after trying a handful of others. Sat him in a Stubben once and he complained extensively the whole ride. Seems like everyone has their own preference...

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    I ride Passiers and Stubbens...German saddles tend to fit guys, Crosby's are famous guy cripplers.
    For dressage:

My husband uses a Passier GG.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s