The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hated that overhead view of the Derby

Am I the only one? This is the first Derby I've been near a TV to watch in years. The folks had NBC on, so that's what we watched. I found it irritating and thought it depersonalized the race.

While it was a good angle to see the horses manuevering and changing positions, I much prefer the "old school" camera angles.

1 members found this post helpful.

I sort of get why they did it b/c the overhead view of last years race was so amazing but this year with all the mud I couldn't tell who was who!

You can really see how closely Borel sticks to the rail. It's just mindboggling. Inches, not feet.

I think they switched to that during the live race for two reasons: 1) there are so many tents and things in the infield, the y would have blocked the view of the race; 2) Mine That Bird's move last year was so amazing to see from above that they were hoping for similar
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Good point. I'm ashamed to say I did not look up Mine That Bird's Derby run -- but will do so now.

When did tents start popping up in the infield, obscuring the view?

I actually LOVED the over head view. I totally enjoy going back to see the winners and how they got to the finish line. I wish they would use it in a "window" box so you could follow it start to finish, but with the classic view also running, main screen.

I felt that the entire broadcast was more about the people involved than the horses. It's disappointing as I love to watch the horses in the paddock and the warm-up - they really are beautiful. With the overhead shot - it is more like watching a NASCAR race than a horse race.
    Equestrian art is closely related to the wisdom of life - Alois Podhajsky

i dont mind occasional flash-overs to the overhead view, but i dont want to watch the entire race in overhead. i'd much rather see a replay in overhead, rather than watch the entire race from above. i think this type of broadcast really looses the personal feeling of being in the race, the essence of the grit, the power, etc involved in a race of that many top young horses....

1 members found this post helpful.

Same here! What a crappy angle.

kentuckyderby.com has a traditional view video.