The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Camelot Auction Horse Is Going To Be Famous

From the ABR Camelot forum:

Hi 63Magnum,
    This Appy at Camelot is the spitting image of Hayseed with the zig-zag blaze and colorful spotted blanket! I have been drawing Hayseed for nearly thirty years now, since 1981. My publisher 'discovered' him in a blog I had up about him last September, and the rest is history with him as the star of my very first-ever children's book, "Hayseed's First Race"!

Sharla Sanders of The Second Race horse rescue and I have been keeping our eyes peeled for that real-life Hayseed to promote my book, and this guy is IT! I came across his pic last night and although the photo showed him facing away from the camera, goosebumps just broke out on my arms and I couldn't get him out of my mind.. then when I saw the photo of him looking at the camera.. I said to myself, this IS Hayseed!!! I sent the link to Sharla and she agreed with me and got cracking on bailing him out....with luck, he is going to become the most famous slaughterhouse rescue in the entire nation! Please do join Hayseed's fanpage on Facebook and stay posted for updates!
    Sally

Awesome!!!

While it is wonderful that this particular horse is now destined for stardom via the lady's book, it is important to point out that at a purchase price of around $800 at the horse dealer's place he was not on the direct route to slaughter. They purchased themselves a nice horse to be the spokeshorse of the book. IMO, no "rescue" here.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    While it is wonderful that this particular horse is now destined for stardom via the lady's book, it is important to point out that at a purchase price of around $800 at the horse dealer's place he was not on the direct route to slaughter. They purchased themselves a nice horse to be the spokeshorse of the book. IMO, no "rescue" here.
    <sigh>
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I'm with Bill.
    One thing that hurts the anti-slaughter side of the 'fight' is promoting misinformation, and imo promoting this horse [priced at over $900 iirc] as one who would have been slaughtered is not necessarily 100% accurate.

wrong. this horse was in the kill pen waiting to ship last night (sunday night). The way camelot works is that the owner, frank, will buy the low-balling priced horses at the sale and put them in his "kill pen" to shipto canada/mexico every sunday. there never used to be an option for these horses until a rescue in NJ started working with Frank to find the horses a second chance, rather than putting them right on a truck to the slaughterhouse.

This appy was the last horse leftover from last wednesday's auction...and yes...he was in the kill pen. Frank never used to mark up the prices, he used to keep them at the price he would get from the slaughterhouse...but he's caught on just like any other of those selling out of feedlots. People think its OK to call these folks "dealers" because of their price mark-ups but these folks need to understand that, besides the price mark-up...these horses are still standing in a kill pen and WILL go on the truck to the slaughterhouse at the end of the week if someone doesnt take them. they are not dealers, they are kill buyers who mark up the price of the horse to private buyers like any other kill buyer...the bottom line is that these horses are standing in a kill pen...waiting for the truck to come.

thanks for taking this guy in....hes very lucky!!!

everyone wants to believe they "rescued" anything they bring home.

haven't you guys ever seen "Finding Nemo" when the dentist explains to his patient where the little clown fish he just added to the tank came from?

yes I have six rescued horses, four rescued cats and a rescued dog at home. I did in fact rescue them all ... from someone who wouldn't have spoiled them as well as I do!

p.s. PICTURES please!! I have four Appaloosas. love them!

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl88 View Post
    Frank never used to mark up the prices, he used to keep them at the price he would get from the slaughterhouse...but he's caught on just like any other of those selling out of feedlots.
    Actually Frank asks for the price he bought the horse for through the sale +$50 profit above that and then $$ for the coggins. He's priced that way from Day #1

Yup, he's caught on that a horse in the killpen of his will get sold to the rescues, which is why this horse ended up in the pen it did instead of the resale pen... so that the rescues would jump up and buy him.

People think its OK to call these folks "dealers" because of their price mark-ups but these folks need to understand that, besides the price mark-up...these horses are still standing in a kill pen and WILL go on the truck to the slaughterhouse at the end of the week if someone doesnt take them. they are not dealers, they are kill buyers who mark up the price of the horse to private buyers like any other kill buyer...the bottom line is that these horses are standing in a kill pen...waiting for the truck to come.
    Frank is a dealer who formerly sold some horses to a killbuyer/hauler. ANYONE can go there and buy a horse if they want to.

ETA:
    This appy was the last horse leftover from last wednesday's auction...
    Not true either, there was a TB there, #50 who is sitting there to be run through next week...

I'm just glad he was bought before he ended up in the auction circuit and then unknown where he would end up. If all goes well with his QT he will be at Belmont Park for promo of Sally's children's book. I cannot post pictures but go to this link and scroll down for a picture. http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexb...Reading+%3E%3E FOR SOME REASON THIS LINK TAKES YOU TO ANOTHER PAGE, LOOK ON LEFT UNDER RESCUE CAMELOT AUCTION THE PICTURE IS ON PAGE 1 Also this is a link to "Hayseed's" fan club, look at the drawings of Hayseed and this horse really do look like him. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-o...8123936?ref=ts

The way camelot works is that the owner, frank, will buy the low-balling priced horses at the sale and put them in his "kill pen" to shipto canada/mexico every sunday.
    Really? Frank doesn't have a field he tosses horses into to then choose from for shipping for meat of selling to 'rescue' buyers?

Nothing against Frank. He sounds like as decent guy as anyone who is willing to sell a horse for meat can be, all things considered, and he's just trying to make a living.

But, I'm not buying that the horses that Frank buys go directly into a pen that ships the next time a truck heads out. Not that he doesn't occasionally have one that ships directly but I can't believe it is a foregone conclusion unless the horse is obese and worth more on the hoof, elderly, injured/lame or sick or an obvious behavioral issue. That would be pretty lousy business on Franks part and horse traders are pretty slick at deciding how to best squeeze a buck or two out of a sale.

He is a dealer. He decides based on his current inventory how he is going to fill his next order from the slaughterhouse based on what he has and which ones he thinks he has potential to profit from in another way (i.e. rescues).

Back when I was growing up in NJ, I went with a horse dealer to New Holland, Harkers and Camelot - wherever he was going when I did not have to go to school. Sometimes I would ride the horses for him at the auction. He bid on them in the ring, bought them outside and bought them out of the kill pen.

He never called it rescuing, he called it smart buying and taught me how to find a good horse at the auction for a great price. I learned who to trust and who not to trust. Frank, as I remember, was on the OK list.

I do not get, nor will I ever get the whole 'rescuing' thing. I think it is just a way for some people to say they are more special than someone else who did not buy the horse at an auction.

This must be a record. The original post, one relevant reply, and then immediately into the slaughter pit fiasco. Unbelievable. Can't you people just give it a rest for one-tenth of a second?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

This is no about slaughter, it is about the facade of horse rescuers and how they are not necessarily saving any of these horses from 'certain death'.

FancyASB....Congrats!

FancyASB, it is very cool that you will have a famous horse
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Can't you people just give it a rest for one-tenth of a second?
    Nope. Never.

I'm not surprised it degenerated, as Guin says.

But in this case there is a reason. I think it's great that this horse will find a way out of his auction-house predicament; that's most important. But his rescue is premised on his meeting some job requirements. Had he not looked like a fictional horse....

The "bought at an auction where some horses go to slaughter" is accurate and a nice story. But this isn't quite the same as "rescuing" one. All in all, I think the OP is doing a good thing. I only split hairs here because of the way that the combination of euphemisms ('rescuing' 'rehoming') and political correctness has made some parts of the horse business a real mess. Just tell the truth as accurately as you know it, and it's all good. JMO.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    FancyASB, it is very cool that you will have a famous horse
    uh, FancyASB isn't the person who bought the horse.

AS far as rescue vs. non rescue... I think in this case it's just pretty cool that someone found a real life horse who looks just like their fictional horse they've been drawing for years.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    uh, FancyASB isn't the person who bought the horse.

AS far as rescue vs. non rescue... I think in this case it's just pretty cool that someone found a real life horse who looks just like their fictional horse they've been drawing for years.
    OOPS! But that's what I was so excited about too!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

The "bought at an auction where some horses go to slaughter" is accurate and a nice story. But this isn't quite the same as "rescuing" one. All in all, I think the OP is doing a good thing. I only split hairs here because of the way that the combination of euphemisms ('rescuing' 'rehoming') and political correctness has made some parts of the horse business a real mess. Just tell the truth as accurately as you know it, and it's all good. JMO.
    IAWTC. I have to sometimes correct people that I did not "rescue" my OTTB, he was not being abused or thrown away, he was no longer making money as a racehorse so his trainer sold him and I bought him. There was no rescuing involved, just a purchase.