The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default The Look of Eagles

I think that's Jimmy Woffords term about the look in the eye of a horse with real heart and drive. I was at the Rolex jog-up Sunday morning. The new venue there afforded a great view of the horses as they were presented. A lot, and I mean a lot of them had "that look" in their eye as they came out and stared at the crowd as if to say "you want a peice of me? You think you can handle this?" Pretty incredible and those images have been rolling around my brain case all week.

You know... I was just thinking about this too!! Didn't get to go to Rolex But....

The wonderful Mr Mark and Hoofclix caught this pic of my pony which I thought was "the look"

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=730570966

He's Awesome and he knows it!!!

riderboy is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Yeah! Great picture.

I had a TB mare that would never look right at you, she always looked over you. And it was like she was looking at something far, far away. I don't know what that "look" is called, if anything, but she was impressive!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I was so pleased when this year my young one seemed to have grown into a major cocky bastard (though he is still a prankster). He dares me to hit him with the whip, dares other horses to catch him when he bites them, and has more desire to chase a running deer than to spin around and flee. Bob must have given him "the talk". Bob is on constant duty, no games. He never sees problems, only solutions. Dont let his burly exterior fool you, he is a thinker, never met a question he couldnt answer. I feel like instead of being happy-excited, he is more like, proud-excited. Like, 'you can count on me, Im the man for the job, and Im honoured to do it.' AJ is still in the 'weeeeeeeee' state of mind about fun stuff. He needs more Bob talks.

If only I had a combination of both, eh? It would be unstoppable.

I know "the look"-- I see it every day. It is not always easy to catch on film but I have tried. Here is one attempt: Taco in the mist

http://www.newlineza.com/supremesultanavisweb.jpg From a saddlebred view point - Supreme Sultan

One thing I've noticed is that the tbs who have that "look" are really in the big time eventing - don't notice it on the tbs racing - just kinda mad look like "I'll get you!" as opposed to thinking sorta look. Make sense?

I dunno about this one. The look when there's nothing to look at (I don't mean the mare just mentioned. I mean just standing around the barn or something.) isn't something I'd like too much. GM once mentioned that perfect combination of "chicken and brave." Too brave and/or too arrogant can be too difficult or inconsistent (I'm thinking--without actually knowing him except through heresay--Windfall...and other stallions, too).

"The Look" when there are other horses and people around OR when it's apparent that there are jumps to be jumped--now THAT is a look that excites me!

Maybe I'm just getting too old for that other look?
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

It's a "middle distance" stare that sends a chill up your spine. Think Courageous Comet at either Rolex jog!

Smile

I know I lurk more than I post, but I have to share some old and lovely photos of my precious mare. I believe she was born with "The Look of Eagles".

I hope I do this right:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=df4106fcda
    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
    -- Winston Churchill

I do think that sometimes they are born with it and sometimes they earn it! Fleck had to earn it. He wasn't born with it... and he's sorta a chicken, but.... our journey has really given him more confidence and now...he has the look. He's almost getting too cocky, so yes....pwynn I do agree with you some... Too cocky and they can get into trouble and get tricky to ride. Sure... you want them to have that fifth leg and take charge if need be, but they also have to be rideable! Fleck's finally at that perfect place....he's a heck of a horse and he knows it, but we're also a nice team so that he listens. It's AMAZING!!!

And...ha ha... Fleck has many other "looks"..... the I'm a goober look, the What the heck do you think you're going to do look, the I can't believe you are making me do this look, the muhuahuahaaa look.... hee heee. He's such a character!

And good old "Classic Fleck".
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=730570966

I used to ride a mare who had the best "Look of Eagles"...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liztoth...7594530730640/

The mare I own now has more of the "Look of Starving Puppy Dogs"
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by ezmissg View Post
    I know I lurk more than I post, but I have to share some old and lovely photos of my precious mare. I believe she was born with "The Look of Eagles".

I hope I do this right:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=df4106fcda
    Your mare is gorgeous, but I had to look twice, and then again when I saw your name...one of my best friends has the VERY SAME first and last names as you - and your surname is NOT exactly Smith or Jones!!!

Again, your mare is just lovely....
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by RunForIt View Post
    Your mare is gorgeous, but I had to look twice, and then again when I saw your name...one of my best friends has the VERY SAME first and last names as you - and your surname is NOT exactly Smith or Jones!!!

Again, your mare is just lovely....
    I've heard there is someone else out there running around with my name! I remember about 10+ years ago someone told me there was one who lived in Mississippi and worked for Bryan Meats (division of Sara Lee)....

And, Miss G thanks you for the compliment! She is 22yo now and is recovering from an extensive and EXPENSIVE dental and sinus surgery. And, she acts like she doesn't even know she's been sick. Still going strong. These old photos confirm why I'd spend every last cent I've got for her.
    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
    -- Winston Churchill

Dan had it. What was amazing about it tho was that he would turn it off to look at people he loved.... The change in his eye was so obvious. He always knew exactly who he was. That is the real deal.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I don't know that Cyriz has the "look of eagles", but he certainly "hunted" the next fence and always looked so damn happy in his xc pics. This one of him and Christan in the water at The Fork is one of my fav pics of him.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...007FK-1835.jpg

And this is from his very first event with Clark (they won!! Open Novice). He was so happy and proud of himself, not to mention ready to go again at the end!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...riz/xc9244.jpg
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

I have always thought my mare has a certain "look" to her...
    hope I did this right!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1580884_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1393324_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tuttifruitti View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that the tbs who have that "look" are really in the big time eventing - don't notice it on the tbs racing - just kinda mad look like "I'll get you!" as opposed to thinking sorta look. Make sense?
    Oh no, I have to disagree. I've seen it on racing TBs many times. They carry it with them where ever they go.

Here's one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0017.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	29078