The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Harvesting Amnion

I was just told of a friend's mare that was horribly injured today in the field (leg, possibly hurt on the fence). Mare is hopefully going to be ok, but is facing a long road to recovery and has a NASTY wound above her hock.

Now, since my mare SHOULD foal tonight.... I offered her the amnion. So how do I harvest it for her???????? I remember something about a mix of distilled water and vinegar..... how much of each?

Also, since I really don't have those two items sitting around my house tonight - can I clean it in clean water (I have very very clean/deep fresh well water to the FL aquafir) and put it in the freezer or the fridge until tomorrow am when I can actually get the vinegar and distilled water? I have 1/4 of a gallon of distilled water and that is it left - should I mix it or hopefully it is enough to put the amninon tonight?

Thanks in advance!!!!
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

HillsideH posted this

Okay guys; here's the instructions. The original article this was taken from was in Equus magazine in July 1998. It originally came from Auburn University; I will post both Auburn's lab method and then the kitchen method for those of you to do it at home. I want to preface this by saying that I'm not a veterinarian, so before you use amnion on your horses, you should check with a vet to make sure it is appropriate for your horse/situation. Another thing I want to clarify is that you should use only a "fresh" amnion; prefarably from an attended foaling so that you can grab it as soon as it hits the ground. You don't want to use something that has been ground into the stall or pasture for hours before being found. You also only want to use a placenta this is clinically normal, and obviously not one from a mare infected from placentitis. I also want to clarify that the amnion is the white membrane from foaling; not the thick reddish "placenta". Often you will have to peel the white amnion from the placenta, depending upon the situation.

Auburn's lab method:
    1. Flush the amnion with copious amounts of tap water. Remove any ground in dirt.
    2. Place the cleaned amnion in a one-gallon plastic container, cover with a 2 percent povidone iodine saline solution and refrigerate 24 hours.
    3. After 24 hours, spread the amnion on a sterile drape, and cut into segments *5x10 cm in size. * You can cut any size that you need, actually.
    4. Rinse the pieces sequentially in four sterile baths, the first three with physiological saline, the final bath with 0.25 percent acetic acid.
    5. Place dressings into sterile specimen cups containing 0.25 percent acetic acid and freeze.

*This is the method that we use and it works great. It has been reccomended to me that ideally you would dispose of the amnion after a year, and replace with fresh. However, I have used amnion up to 3 years old and it has been fine.

The Kitchen Method
    1. Same
    2.Mix 250 ml of a stock 10% povidone iodine solution (Solution NOT Scrub) with one liter saline solution to make a 2% mixture. You can get these from a vet or pharmacy.
    3. Spread the amnion on a towel washed in antibacterial soap and a splash of bleach. Using scissors soaked in alcohol and a pair of sterile gloves, cut into segments.
    4. You can use tupperware, cool whip containers, etc. washed and rinsed in boiling water for your sterile baths. The first three in physiological saline, the last in 5 percent acetic acid. The acetic acid is plain old white vinegar (not apple cider). White vinegar is 5% acetic acid, so dilute with 20 parts water to one part vinegar.
    5. Sterilized baby food jars make a good substitue for speciment cups. Place the dressings into containers with 0.25 percent acetic acid and freeze.

Some tips: It is easier to cut around any large vessels in the amnion, rather than through them. You can cut the dressings to any size that you prefer. This is a messy, rather nasty job and if your spouse/significant other is home, I woudn't do it on the kitchen table !

Thanks.. I actually found the recipe. But since I have none of that avail to me tonight... can I harvest, clean and store in the fridge overnight then put it in the vinegar/distilled water solution? I would think yes, but don't want to mess this up for her!
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Anissa - you may want to ask you friend with the hurt mare to go shopping for you while you're watching your pregnant mama......
    Good luck with the foaling!
    Siegi
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Quote Originally Posted by acottongim View Post
    Thanks.. I actually found the recipe. But since I have none of that avail to me tonight... can I harvest, clean and store in the fridge overnight then put it in the vinegar/distilled water solution? I would think yes, but don't want to mess this up for her!
    I've never used anything except water (no vinegar, no iodine-- just plain tap water), washed it well, cut into desired sizes and stuck it in the fridge. IMO, doing that much for your friend should be just fine. During the months I needed amnion for a degloving injury on my mare, I was perfectly happy and grateful that my friends saved entire afterbirths in buckets of water in their barns. I got the amnion after the vets checked that it no parts were unaccounted for, and did all the washing/cutting/refrigeration/freezing myself. The stuff worked great.

She is in Jacksonville I'm in Marianna - 3 hour difference so that won't work LOL.

If we can do this, we'll meet on I-10 tomorrow and swap amnion. Such a nice mare she has too.... really hope this works for her.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    I've never used anything except water (no vinegar, no iodine-- just plain tap water), washed it well, cut into desired sizes and stuck it in the fridge. IMO, doing that much for your friend should be just fine. During the months I needed amnion for a degloving injury on my mare, I was perfectly happy and grateful that my friends saved entire afterbirths in buckets of water in their barns. I got the amnion after the vets checked that it no parts were unaccounted for, and did all the washing/cutting/refrigeration/freezing myself. The stuff worked great.
    Really? this will still work? I know that I've used amnion before and had very good results, I just didn't have to harvest it and prepare it.

When I did it I rinsed it real good then put it in the fridge in clean water, completely covered with water then processed it the next morning.

She is in Jacksonville I'm in Marianna - 3 hour difference so that won't work LOL.

If we can do this, we'll meet on I-10 tomorrow and swap amnion. Such a nice mare she has too.... really hope this works for her.
    If she needs more after she is through yours, I have a mare "due" in about 3 weeks (she just started with a small bag). I was going to harvest it anyway. I am in St. Augustine.
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

Really? this will still work? I know that I've used amnion before and had very good results, I just didn't have to harvest it and prepare it.
    Yes. It's my guess that it works best prepared with nothing but plain water. When we started using amnion, my mare's injury was developing masses of proud flesh in response to daily washing (per vet school instructions) with betadine scrubs. The proud flesh was so bad that the vets at NC State were recommending skin graft surgery. It was at that point that my personal vet brought over a sheet of amnion he'd stuck in his freezer, suggesting that it would soothe, protect and nourish the wound instead of irritating it, which seemed to be stimulating the proliferation of proud flesh. The results were immediate and excellent. I "harvested" and prepared 2 complete amnions over the course of treating my mare, and never considered using anything but water with iodine/providone/betadine definitely contraindicated (and, I would imagine, vinegar as well because of its irritating/stinging property).

Hope you've gotten that amnion to your friend by now, and that her mare comes along as well as your filly did

Thanks Fish! that makes me feel much better!!! My mare still has not foaled so we are still waiting. sfs - I will let her know. Not sure if she actually comes on COTH or not, but will def let her know about your offer.

She isn't sure how the mare got injured (mare is on 30 acres of field essentially by herself, I think there is one other horse out there) and of course managed to find SOMETHING to try and take her leg off. Wound is above the hock, down to the bone, through tendon/muscle and took 40 stiches to get back together. They aren't sure if the stiches will hold or not due to location. The mare was apparently gushing blood and they went through a few towels trying to stop the bleeding while the vet arrived.

Now Lady just has to foal out so that I can get her what she needs!

The reason the amnion is prepared the way that the instructions state is to minimize the risk of infection when applying it to a wound. Amnion in and of itself is certainly not sterile and once it has touched the mare, bedding, anything else during the birthing process it is loaded with bacteria. Hence the reccomendation for soaking in the betadine solution. Also note that the betadine is rinsed off in three sequential baths of saline, so there should be minimal betadine left on the amnion. The acetic acid is also a very weak solution, so there should be no stinging involved. I'm sure that amnion rinsed and processed only in water would be safe most of the time, but I would rather play it safe when dealing with wounds and not introduce any bacteria that could be lurking in the amnion into the mix.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

That makes sense. I ended up not having my mare foal last night so I can get the supplies this am, so I'm not as stressed about it. The cleaning it isn't as big a problem, I still have some betadine in my med cabinet, although I normally use Novlasan now (wonder if you can use that instead??). I was just worried, I would save it, clean it, then loose it because I couldn't "save" it with the vinegar/distilled water solution.

I keep saying I'm going to save one sac a year but never end up doing so. I even looked at Cory's which was beautiful this year and didn't save it.... Oh well. At least this one will go to good use!

I have some in my freezer she could have until your mare foals. I'm located 8 miles from Canterbury Show Grounds, Gainesville Fl. My brother lives in Orange Park/Jax, he is coming to visit on Sunday and could carry it home with him on Sunday evening if that will help.

That is awesome!!! Thank you so much. Sent you a PM with contact info etc.

I do so love this community!!!!

hey everyone, I am the one with the injured mare. Thank you all so much for the advice and encouragement. A huge heartfelt thanks to Anissa for starting this thread for me! A second heartfelt thanks to Heather for giving me some of her amnion this afternoon. I removed Abby's wrap this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised. She had some swelling but not an awful lot of drainage (guess this is a good thing?). I rewrapped her with a sheet of the amnion, let her graze some, then back to the stall for her.
    I love how the horse community comes together so quickly for the love of our horses. Keep up the jingles that my special mare will continue to heal and stay healthy, you guys are all the best!

Warm regards,
    Wendi

Wendi - with any luck at all we'll have more amnion for you soon!

The community and care for our horses on this board is prob one of the things I like most about COTH.

Huge Jingles for Abby - I saw the photos and while the wounds look horrible it doesn't look as bad as it could have!