The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Schneiders Fly sheet- fit? opinions?

My horse has the mosquito mesh fly sheet from schneiders already, but it's rubbing his withers. I talked to Schneiders, and they feel like their Soft Micro Mesh sheet would be better as it doesn't have a seam over the withers. I need a really breathable fly sheet for him as he is turned out 24/7 and it gets very hot here. So, any opinions on the fit/durability/quality of the Soft Micro Mesh?

I'm not so convinced about the words "soft" and "fly sheet" in the same sentence. It seems like it would fall apart if your horse is very hard on it.

I have a Turtleneck for my gelding and it doesn't rub at all. It's really durable too, and very breathable. You might check into those as an option.

I have 3 of the soft white Schneiders fly sheets and they have lasted 3 seasons. They are more durable than they look and the best part is they are easy to sew small repairs myself. They seem to sweat the horses a lot less than the stiff plastic coated blue plaid fly sheets, maybe reeflect sunlight better? However, here the heat factor is strong high altitude sun, not oppressive humidity.

I have one Schneiders light blue mosquito sheet and like it also. However, it fits one to two sizes smaller than the other sheets. I had to use it on a smaller horse than it was bought for. You may need a larger size in the mosquito sheet to stop the rubbing.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I bought my horse an open front one and he ended up with rubs, so I got one that was closed front and have had no issues. Now looking through their site I am disappointed that they discontinued any closed front fly sheets.

I live in FL and have kept mine on him during the day out in a pasture and he comes in fine, maybe a little sweat but that is typical. Unfortunately he managed to rip off the bellyband part one night but other than that I love how it fits and feels. I love the fleece at withers and the euro fit style as well as the tail flap.

One thing I do have issues with from their blankets are the leg straps do not hold up. The snaps break and they get stretched out so am always replacing those.
    nothing is truer than the truth...