The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Castille Soap users...

How often do you oil tack after using castille soap? I recently got some to clean my boots, and am going to do a thorough tack cleaning with it as well. Is there any oil that seems to work better than others? I usually use Hydrophane.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Flexalan.

I foxhunt and my tack gets disgustingly nasty. Salt, mud, water, filth - blech.

Flexalan is da bomb.

http://www.flexalan.com/product/8.aspx

Every time I clean with castille soap I oil. I usually use a neatsfoot compound. I usually only use castille soap when my tack is really dirty - especially my bridles, it really gets the grime and sweat off.

I never use any soap on my field boots. I use Castile every time I clean tack (it's all I use, usually) and I oil saddles every 6 months or so, or after a major rain, and bridles and breastplates every couple months, or after rain. I event and trail ride a lot, so everything gets seriously gross.

After I clean with Castile I apply a coat of glycerin. I only oil if my tack is really dry. Maybe once or twice a year.

I never use any kind of soap on boots - just damp sponge.

I use Leather Therapy most often to follow thorough cleaning. Perhaps every other time - maybe more often? It depends on what the tack 'needs'.
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Every time I clean with castille soap I oil. I usually use a neatsfoot compound. I usually only use castille soap when my tack is really dirty - especially my bridles, it really gets the grime and sweat off.
    Pure neatsfoot oil is better. Neatsfoot compound can contain petroleum products. Not the best thing for leather.

Honestly, neither of our saddles feel like they "need" any oil. Both are very supple and soft. Both could benefit from a thorough cleaning, though. Do I NEED to oil them ever if they don't seem to need it?
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    Honestly, neither of our saddles feel like they "need" any oil. Both are very supple and soft. Both could benefit from a thorough cleaning, though. Do I NEED to oil them ever if they don't seem to need it?
    Maybe not. I oil mine a couple of times a year. I bring my saddles home, take the stirrups off, clean every inch with glycerin/water and let dry. I then warm a little neatsfoot oil in the microwave and apply a thin coat. That's it...nothing fancy and I'll put up the condition of my stuff against anyone's. It's all in beautiful shape, even the old stuff.