The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dare Cribbing Strap--How is it different?

Anyone who uses this "new" strap?

My Saddlebred just seems to have funky conformation where the cribbing strap goes. The French collar leather covered metal piece isn't shaped right/narrow enough to be effective no matter how tight the strap is. The Nutcracker collar doesn't hit him at the right place either. Tried the Miracle Collar. Despite their claims, I had to have the sucker so tight I was afraid it would harm my horse. A cribbing muzzle is out because a. he can crib with it and b. he actually cribs more because it makes him fret.

How is the Dare really different? Anyone had it work when all the others have failed? I really would like to know more about it before I drop $70.

And to answer questions before they are asked, yes we are managing him as best we can for ulcers. (He's actually scheduled for a new scope). He's cribbed since he was two, long before I bought him. (He's now 10.) 24/7 turnout isn't an option as the bugs make him fret so that he cribs worse and/or paces and drops weight. Now that the bugs are here he'll be in days and out nights. Between the fretting and the cribbing he loses weight, so I'd like to find a viable solution.

We used the Dare cribbing collar on a TWH that cribbed horribly. I was able to find the person who bought him as a 3 year old in Tennessee and he cribbed then. The Miracle Collar had to be pulled so tight it would bloody his forehead. The Dare collar is a single strap with a wedge shaped block on the underside that makes it difficult for them to pull back and arch their neck. It's loose until they arch. It worked great on him in combination with other things - cimetidine for ulcers, 24/7 turnout with a shed and electric fence, no buckets or feeders he could crib on, free choice hay/pasture, and a mild mannered buddy he could play with. All of this virtually eliminated his cribbing. He was starved when we got him and would crib after he ate and whenever he felt stressed. I liked the Dare collar better than the other collars we tried.

Thanks, JetsBuddy! That's just the kind of feedback I was looking for.

The Dare cribbing collar did not work for me at all. My horse was a hard-core cribber.

The only collar that worked was a front-strap tight Miracle Collar. I used fleeces (washing them or replacing them weekly) and had minimal issues with rubs--just on the side. The leather French collar did not deter him a bit. A metal nutcracker would work so-so, but it had to be super tight. Sometimes it worked to rotate the nutcracker with the Miracle Collar (they hit different spots).

Muzzle wasn't an option, as I wanted to encourage as much food intake as possible.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Default Used It.

I used it for two weeks. In two weeks, the following was my experience:
    1. It controlled cribbing on a level comparable to the french strap.
    2. It created rubs and sores within three days.
    3. The square portion which sits under the horses throat does prevent the collar from spinning, but it does not prevent it from sliding back.

Also, I think for the quality, it is overpriced. It could use some modifications.

I can add a different twist...I had 2 cribbers and do not use any straps/collars..I have never found one to be effective and I feel the benefits do not outweigh the risks...Just my opinion;-)

There is much more research done on cribbers to include..cribbing has a genetic link, cribbers have a high acid content in the lower gut, prone to ulcers, beet pulp helped my cribbers, free choice hay and free choice turnout...some feel the cribbing reduces the risk of colic even though they can get gas colic...pros & cons to both I guess!

So..my cribbers I checked for ulcers, put on Succeed, free choice hay, water & turnout and they crib little to none now
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakend. ~Anatole France~
    www.EquineKneadsLLC.com

I have a 14 year old OTTB gelding who is a hardcore cribber. He will crib on ANYTHING, including trees. I bought him from a friend of mine who had him for 7 years and he cribbed the whole time he was with her, so I'm assuming it started during his 7 years on the track. I knew I wasn't going to be able to break the habit, but I hoped I might be able to make a dent. My friend had tried the Miracle Collar on him and it rubbed him raw and didn't make a dent in his cribbing so we decided to give the Dare Collar a shot. He still cribs, but it isn't nearly as effective and because of that, he's put on at least 75-100lbs and looks FANTASTIC. I've never seen him look this good! Since coming off the track he's always been out on pasture with buddies, but he's kind of a loner and seems fine with standing in the barn cribbing by himself so we've been really happy with the effect the collar has had. It did cause some rubbing, but we monitor it and take it off for a bit if we feel the rubs are getting too bad. I also have him on Tractgard to help with digestion, reduce chances of colic, etc, and I have found Tractgard to be very effective at this, both with the TB and with my 7 year old Chincoteague Pony who tends to get grass colic in the spring.

I would definitely recommend the Dare Collar to anyone having trouble with a cribber. It may not be a cure-all, but it worked well enough for us that we feel we got our money's worth .
    Proud mom of a Chincoteague Pony

I really like the Dare collar!! A horse we had shipped in to try for DD is a cribber, oh, did we not mention that? Started with a miracle collar, helped a little. The Dare collar stopped the cribbing completely. They do have to be snug, if it's spinning it isn't tight enough. We've used it about six months now and no rubs and no cribbing!!

I bought a 16 y.o. confirmed cribber who is lives in an aluminum pen, i.e. cribber's paradise. I've seen too many horses rubbed raw with Miracle Collar so I ordered the Dare.

I am so impressed with it. It is soft, smooth, and comfy on the side against the horses neck and doesn't leave a mark on the horse. As long it is on snugly - not tight - it works great. He may try to crib once or twice but he can't and gives up.

It does look rather stiff and uncomfortable when you first see it but it is so soft and flexible. I have no regrets at all putting on my horse. I would recommend it to anyone.