The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nut case neighbor freaking out my horses.

I have a neighbor that is rather essentric to put it mildly. Well actually he's nuttier than a fruit cake. I try to get along with him and he's harmless but geesh he can work my last nerve. Well he has this thing about birds roosting in his tree in the front of his house. He takes fire crackers and sets them off under the tree to "get rid of them". This freaks out my poor horses. Izzy has no idea what the noise is and has probably never been exposed to such and she was just in a tizzy. (Izzy's in a tizzy. LOL) She would jump and run and carry on and of course my two (who have been exposed to the insanity) chime in because its just thier nature to be upset when the "herd" is upset. Now Jelly doesnt react as much but Danner was getting fired up because poor Izzy was fired up. They both ran around and Jelly followed behind just not as enthusiastic about it all. I was able to finally get them in thier stalls all. Goofy was barking like an idiot in the back yard trying to find the source of the noise. He, the neighbor, does this about two or three times a year for 2 days straight. The last time he did this was back in Fall and neither of the horses got all that upset though they did trot around a little and look. I have asked him to call me if he planned on doing his bird scaring so I could put my horses up. even the goats were a bit discombobulated. He NEVER calls. I am about to go over and just cut down that blasted tree so he wont have any trouble with birds anymore. Grrrrr

The fire cracker thing obviously does not work for the stupid birds always come back and they are always there. They roost in one of my trees...that is what birds do.

Last fall he was burning something (I think garbage) in his yard and I heard two great big booms come from his back yard . I later found out it was 2 aresole cans he threw in the fire to "burn". He laughed about it while telling me. I jumped right along with all of my animals and my kid. I was in the barn getting ready for a ride when that happened. Stupid neighbor.!

I am about ready to put my foot up his bum.
    Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Don't poke the Bear!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Does your town have noise ordinances? Or fireworks laws?

Both would be issues in some of the towns around here.

Then again, my neighbor shoots guns at all hours... I'd prefer fireworks. At least I wouln't have to take cover.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Call the police. At the very least he is disturbing the peace, and the firecrackers possibly also could be considered a fire hazard. Are firecrackers even legal in your town? Many cities/towns have ordinances prohibiting them.
    Edited to add, pintopiaffe and I are doing the GMTA thing, LOL.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Read my barn clog warning thread on here - dealing with some of the same crap especially regarding illegal fires.

Around here we have crop bangers. Some sort of thing which I haven't personally seen, but it bangs about once every 30 mins during the day to keep birds from stealing whatever crop the farmer is growing. My horses are used to bangs, however, one of my dogs really hates them.

I feel for you because like you, if I'm informed of dangers I can deal with my horses in appropriate fashion. I get really peeved off if I I'm not informed of such things as cattle moving which involves gates being left open and my horses moving with the crowd of cattle. I don't want to make anyone's life difficult but just tell me and I will help with what needs to be done. Nobody seems to get the safety aspect. And trust me, I don't overdo things with my horses as in protecting them from every little thing, but some things I need to know about!

Good luck,
    Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

As long as the neighbor is with in the law (do not know what the laws are in your area) you really can not do much about they do on their own land. Consider it a training opportunity.

Using something similar to fireworks is a very well known way to keep birds off crops. Near me there is a produce farm (big into strawberries and other berry fruits) that has a blasting thing that goes off pretty regularly.

Sigh, I have a neighbor with a semi automatic rifle I believe. The horses and dogs do get used to it.
    I,however, hate it.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

We've got a lot of bird scarers. Basically they are on a timer and sporadically release a charge to set off intermittant bangs just as if it's a shotgun.

The horses do get used to them.

In the meantime you might want to see if you can help him remove the birds say when your horses aren't out and about.

I certainly can empathize with you. When my neighbor's daughter was younger, her primary choice of play area was the side yard of their house, which could be seen from my pasture. I called her the bombproofer. She wasn't setting off fireworks, (her dad did that random weekend nights during the summer) but she was doing just about everything else. She would jump on the trampoline with a parachute sized piece of fabric, find every ball she could within a 20 mile radius, load them all onto the trampoline and jump and scream and kick them all over, including towards my horses, scream into a karaoke machine turned up full blast, all the while surrounded by 6 or more dogs of various sizes which would bark and play and fight during the ruckus. When they first moved in and the little girl started this, my horses would lose their minds, wide-eyed, snorting, blowing, prancing lunatics. Now a bomb could go off over there and my horses could care less. Yep, I hated the commotion, I hated the noise that interrupted my peace and quiet every weekend.
    Aforementioned little girl is now a teen, and things have been pretty quiet.
    I feel your pain.
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh Kari, that's funny LOL!!!!

Default Just posted about this issue a few weeks ago!!!

Welcome to my world. We bought a lovely farmette surrounded by fields, woods, powerlines, and conservation land. Then a neighbor's son moved in a few houses away and uses the field NEXT TO MY PADDOCK as his firing range. And he's no joke. Shot guns, automatic rifles, handguns. And sometimes it goes on all afternoon. As long as he is 300 feet from a house in our State it is fair game.

My horses lost their s&*t the first week or so. But, I found leaving them out to "watch" what was going on was the best strategy. I also went out and got some of those squishy cat playballs to use as earplugs, but the horses settled and got used to it before I had to use them. You could consider those on the days he does this constantly. I would! Also, Calm and Cool in the tube is good stuff .

I agree.... it certainly is a bombproofing experience. I am not to the point where I would cross tie the horses while this is going on, but if he keeps this up all summer there is no doubt I will be able to!
    Gone gaited....

My neighbor likes to target practice ALL DAY, every sunny day. We only have an indoor, so there's no way of seeing the guy come out of his house so as to mentally prepare - just all of a sudden BANG! The horses rarely react but the people all jump a mile out of their skin every time! So annoying.

You know what- I embrace noisy neighbors. They do all the bombproof training for me! I purposely built our sacrifice area right up against the property line . The horses are exposed to all sorts of noises, things flapping and banging, etc. you name it, they are geting exposed to it. It sure doesn't hurt them any to not be afraid of stuff, and to learn to live with things out of the ordinary happening around them. Your neighbors have the right to enjoy their property just like you get to enjoy yours...

Of course all this noise is sure to cause hearing loss in humans and animals, which is not a good thing. I would rather have a spooky horse that hears a varmint sneaking up on us or waiting ahead on the trail, than the opposite.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

But, I found leaving them out to "watch" what was going on was the best strategy.
    When I am practicing for qualifications... mine line up and heckle me.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

My neighbors can be pretty noisy, but the horses really do get used to it. It bugs me sometimes when it's constant, but the horses get used to it.

I would rather deal with a little noise from time to time than the meth-making, kid sneaking into my pastures because mom can't be bothered to watch her (see above comment regarding meth), junk-yard accumulating, throwing screws and such at the horses, threatening to shoot my animals, paranoid morons that lived next to me. Thankfully most of them have been kicked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckydonkey View Post
    You know what- I embrace noisy neighbors. They do all the bombproof training for me!
    I know of a guy whose training program/training academy that could easily masquerade as a "noisy neighbor".

He charges something like $600 a month for a horse and god knows how much to "students" who pay to train horses he gets paid to get trained.

People with "noisy neighbors" are really getting a bargain...

well, if this dimwitted person throws aerosol cans in a fire, chances are you won't have to deal with him much longer. Darwin's law and all.

Kinda like that guy back home, my mom bought our firs house from his SIL...he fixed everything around the farm with the equivalent of wire and duct tape...one fine day, he was all washed up to go out, he got the hankering to bang around or weld something onto the tractor counter weight: a WWII dud, that was supposedly disarmed. Supposedly being the operative word....it blew the heavy barn door across the yard...I forgot how much of him they recovered....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, unless he is doing something illegal not much you can do about it other than get him on your side. Even if it is illegal...do you really want to annoy a complete eccentric?

Our neighbour was annoyed that I had the gall to ride on my land in an area that bordered their property and I was "invading their privacy" . She took to setting up a portable stereo (using multiple extension cords) near the property line and blasting the local classic rock station just slightly off station.

I did nothing. Mostly because I didn't want to give her the pleasure of annoying me. Horses got used it it, not much phased them at horse shows, that's for sure.

I didn't involve the authorities until they placed a junked car, several broken toys including a falling apart swing set on the property line close to my house. That was going too far, especially since I had a toddler and they were creating a safety hazard.

The junk pile was eventually moved and they have given up trying to annoy me. However, I'm pretty sure that it has more to do with the fact that my niece started dating their son...(don't ask...it was very Montague and Capulet...oddly enough he seems like a decent kid...so much for the influence of parents I guess).

In your case, the guy just seems odd and clued out. Perhaps you could win him over with some sort of neighbourly gesture (baking? casserole? bottle of hooch?) and let him know how upsetting it is for the horses and could he please just give you fair warning so you could get them in the barn first?

Neighbour issues are tough and hugely aggravating. Reason #10 why we recently bought 100 acres....

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Welcome to the country?

Sorry, but I have to agree with the posters who say let the horses learn to deal.
    Really, they will.

My Off-The-Wall neighbor came over when I first moved in to say she was worried the mortocycles roaring down the road in front of my pasture were scaring my horses. They weren't.
    I pointed out that if they were scared they could retreat to the far end of the pasture, away from the road.

So what do her & DH do the first 4th of July after her show of concern?
    Put on a 3h long fireworks display - they are completely legal here -in their front yard directly in front of my pasture.
    I was picking up used bottle rockets from the pasture for weeks.

Another neighbor must have gotten a new shotgun for Xmas - which he practiced with one whole, long, afternoon...
    Made me jump with each KABOOM!, but horses were "meh".

Once they figure out the noise can't hurt them most of them are fine.
    I'd feel safer letting them figure this out from outside rather than confined to a stall.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

There is a noise ordanance in town. After 10pm excessive noise is controlled. But I live outside of town and am not sure if that ordinance follows out this way. As long as there isnt a burn ban he can burn trash/brush if he wants to. I think he is just out there. He always waves at me when he walks along the road and is other wise pleasant but he is just so freaking WEIRD. I say he is about 65-68 ? years old and is retired. He will mow his lawn in the dark with a flash light attatched to the lawn mower and a light that goes on a ball cap. He practicaly has a Hazmat uniform on when he mows. I'm talking head to toe goggles and face mask. He only wears it when he mows otherwise he doesnt seem to be allergy prone. He had on wading pants or covers that you use to fish in the other day while washing his car and still had on his dress shirt and little bow tie (he reminds me of a professor with his cute little bow tie on.) Odd indeed. I would be moving if he got a gun. Yikes!

Both horses (Danner and Jelly) usually dont freak out much when he is up to his antics but I dont think Izzy has ever been exposed to such noises. I think Danner was wigged out because Izzy was so upset and freaked out. Jelly was just going along with the ride. When I turned out the horses this morning Danner and Jelly was fine with everything but Izzy's eyes were busy looking for the "scary noise" that came from the neighbor's yard. She began to graze and when I turned over the water trough it made a banging noise and she jumped looking at me with these poor bugged out eyes. Poor thing (big Chicken sh$(*). The other two didnt even pay attention to me....to busy hogging out. While I let the water trough refill I went over to her and petted her and talked to her. She went back to grazing and seemed to calm down. I didnt see or hear from the neighbor today. Perhaps he ran out of fireworks. everything was quiet tonight. Rain tomarrow so it should be quiet tomarrow also. Izzy's owner just kind of laughed when I told her about the episode.

Nothing boring for long around here. lol

Well I am getting sleepy again. going to go back to bed.
    Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Don't poke the Bear!