The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Short people breeches

I am not a "Little Person". I am only slightly below average height at 5'3". Okay, my legs are a little short for my height, but not extremely.

So why then is it so difficult to find riding tights/breeches with legs that fit? I am tired of pulling up pleats so that the knee patch is not at my ankle. And tired of having to cuff breeches!

When I was heavier I thought it was because I was taking larger sizes. But at a 28 now, it is no better! I see "talls" but I dont find "short" or "petite" sizes in breeches.

Anybody know of inexpensive breeches that actually fit short people?

TS has short lengths, but not a lot of sellers carry them. I recently saw that Bit of Britain can special order petite sizes in a few Irideon tights and breeches.

I just normally end up getting kids' sizes... I gave up!

Tuffrider makes a petite cotton breech for about $40. I special ordered them through adams but any tuffrider dealer should be able to get them. The inseam is something like 26", I'm 5' tall and they fall to about 2" above my ankle.

Oooooh! Tuffrider petites sound good. WHo carries them?

Lightbulb Petite Riders Unite!

Another petite here. We need to start a SERIOUS thread for us petite types. Smart pak came through for the fluffy riders (Womanly Riders Unite!" thread. If we band together and wail, I can ask manufacturers to think of us. They will want to see many people on the thread to create for us. We need to show there is a market.

Are you with me on the barricades???

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    Another petite here. We need to start a SERIOUS thread for us petite types. Smart pak came through for the fluffy riders (Womanly Riders Unite!" thread. If we band together and wail, I can ask manufacturers to think of us. They will want to see many people on the thread to create for us. We need to show there is a market.

Are you with me on the barricades???
    *raises hand* I'm 4'10 I have to go the kids-breeches-route (which sometimes works and um... sometimes it doesn't...)
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

I use normal sized people breeches, and just pretend they're jodphurs.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I'm short too (5 feet tall) but I have long legs and a 30 inch inseam and am short waisted. I have more of a problem with the rise than the length. I never find breeches that fit. I usually use tights and really like Kerritts.

I'll fight on the barricades! (Although I like that I can find pastel sparkly breeches in my size, to horrify my trainer!)

jumping on the barricade with you. I'm 4'11" Can't find the following:

short breeches with a low rise.
    short dresssage coat under $500.
    boots in size 5.5 that are not ariats.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

So those of you that buy girls' sizes - how do the sizes translate? Does it really translate to waist size or are they made narrower (like some other junior/ladies sizing) ?

Irideon girls breeches fit really well on petite adults. They are not cheap, but the cadence are only about $75 and will last a lot longer than cheap breeches so they are worth it!

Irideon. Another bonus, if needed, they come in plus sizes. Not cheap but good quality. I have several different types of this brand (winter, full seat breeches, knee patch, riding tights).

awesome thread!

I tried on the Fits breeches full seats at Dover. Laughed my ass off when I saw that there was about 8" of material gathered around my ankles.

You mean breeches aren't supposed to come over your paddock boots and fasten around the tops?? LOL.

I'm 5'3 with a 28" inseam. I hate breech shopping. And coat shopping. And boots and shirts (I have a 42 DD chest and a 17" calf. FML)
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

I just buy little kid breeches! lol They are usually cheaper as well so its a double plus!!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post

You mean breeches aren't supposed to come over your paddock boots and fasten around the tops?? LOL.
    It was only recently that I realized that they weren't! Oh well... I have Ariat paddock boots with the usual broken Ariat zipper, so the breeches elastic helps hold them together at the ankle. d;

Talking sparkley pastel breeches??? OOO, The possibilities!

Sara and Sam,

ok, Fess up!

Where did you find the sparkley pastel breeches??

I want those! I live in fear of not being found if I fall off my horse out in the trees and bushes. Plus, I am naturally a very shy person, who wants attention...

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    Sara and Sam,

ok, Fess up!

Where did you find the sparkley pastel breeches??

I want those! I live in fear of not being found if I fall off my horse out in the trees and bushes. Plus, I am naturally a very shy person, who wants attention...
    LOL, those are my two motivating factors also. (:

I can't find many for sale online, but these are them, on sale: http://www.sunrisetack.com/p-524-ova...er-tights.aspx

I have the blue ones... got them in a flood sale for $5! Child's 12-14 fits me well. d; They had them in pink, but don't seem to have any left... I'm kind of tempted to get the purple now too, I might have to look for some in my size!

Here's me wearing them, with a glittery Fraggle Rock shirt and citron green schooling helmet and polka-dot saddle pad and fat pony. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...ost=good-times It was give-your-trainer-a-heart-attack day.

Talking

Sarandsam,
    Your photo doesn't do you justice! The wicked grin came thro, though.

Alas, I don't think I am that size. From the description the sparkley is woven into the fabric? Gad! Kids get to have all the fun!

I was envisioning something in sedate c.z. that had a holographic effect...

LOL... thanks whicker! The fabric itself is a stretchy lycra with sparkles... I think they go up to a kids' 14!

I swear I've seen some kids' breeches or tights that were black and had a nice tasteful neon holographic design up the sides... racking my brains to think of where they were...