The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default IHSA Alumni showing?

Hey all,

A recent thread reminded me of some questions I had re: IHSA alumni shows. I rode for NYU for a few years, finished in Fall 2007 at Intermediate level (could have placed to advanced, but internship stole my time). A few questions:

1) If I decided to show again, is there a time limit that I need to be under to join again? I would join Fall 2010 at the earliest, and finished Fall 2007. Time flies...

2) Do alumni have a year-end finals like the IHSA teams as well?

3) Alumni show one flat and one jumping, right? What is the height of the jumps?

4) Do alumni also get to take lessons with the old school (for a fee, of course)? Or are lessons on their own?

Any other info you have would be great.

-Don't know the answer to one.

-Yes, alumni qualify and go through the same shows as the undergrads (Regionals, Zones, Nationals).

-Yes, one flat and one jumping. The jumps are usually at novice height, or at least they are in my region.

-That depends on the individual school/team. I've seen both in my region...a rider being coached by her team's coach and a rider there on her own with no coach. Plus it depends on whether the rider is even in the region her school was in - alumni compete in whatever region they live in (I think?)

I do not know much about this but I know the last answer is that you show in the region you live, not the region you USED to ride at college. So if that's the rule, I'd assume that you would school with the coach of the team that's local to you now, and whatever his/her requirements are.

My school allowed alumni to join lessons because we had the room. They had to pay almost double though, because we couldn't subsidize any of their fees with school money. We also couldn't have them in our transportation because insurance didn't cover them. None of them went to our school, but all lived in the area.

I would just get in contact with the school you are interested in riding with and see what their rules are, and whether they might have room for you. Even if you can't take lessons with them, you can still show. You just have to get in contact with your regions alumni coordinator to sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCspaz View Post
    Hey all,

A recent thread reminded me of some questions I had re: IHSA alumni shows. I rode for NYU for a few years, finished in Fall 2007 at Intermediate level (could have placed to advanced, but internship stole my time). A few questions:

1) If I decided to show again, is there a time limit that I need to be under to join again? I would join Fall 2010 at the earliest, and finished Fall 2007. Time flies...

2) Do alumni have a year-end finals like the IHSA teams as well?

3) Alumni show one flat and one jumping, right? What is the height of the jumps?

4) Do alumni also get to take lessons with the old school (for a fee, of course)? Or are lessons on their own?

Any other info you have would be great.
    I've been showing IHSA Alum for 3 years now.

1) There is no time limit between graduation and Showing.

2) Yesm the Alum (those who qualify) go to Regionals, then Zones, then Nationals!

3) Fence height is usually 2'6'', but the rules say it can be anywhere between 2'3'' and 2'9''

4) No lessons. You train with your own coach and then just show up and help out at the shows.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

The lesson thing can vary - depends a lot on the school and location, etc.

I showed in the alumni division one year and was able to take lessons with the college team. The only difference between being on the team and being an alum was that I didn't have to travel with them
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Let me ask this... How do those with Alumi showing on your team feel about the alumni?

Do alumni points count toward the team's overall point total at regionals/nationals?

I have thought it would be fun to show alumni but learned my school's team doesn't like having alumni on the team. If alumni could contribute to the point total, I don't know why that would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Jade View Post
    Let me ask this... How do those with Alumi showing on your team feel about the alumni?

Do alumni points count toward the team's overall point total at regionals/nationals?

I have thought it would be fun to show alumni but learned my school's team doesn't like having alumni on the team. If alumni could contribute to the point total, I don't know why that would be the case.

Alum point do not count towards the team. They are individual points only.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Hi, I've shown Alumni in the past and still volunteer with my college team and travel with them to shows. If you’re in the NY area you could probably get in touch with your undergrad. In fact, we’re in the same region so I can give you contact information for NYU and/or the regional Alumni rep if you’d like to get involved.

Even if you now live in a different part of the country, you are able to participate and represent NYU as Alumni. You would just need to contact your new region.

Taking lessons with the team varies from college to college and are not required to show like you did for undergrad. I know some girls still ride with their team and some who take lessons on their own. Just a matter of preference.

You are eligible for flat and fences in Alumni. In our region, the jumps are normally kept as Novice height.

There is no time limit if you’d like to join again, but remember that in order to show you have to register every year with the IHSA and submit the appropriate fees. For more info, you can go here http://www.ihsainc.com/Membership/alumni.aspx

Good luck!