The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Conformation help please! Looking at a horse, and I need help!

Well I am potentially looking at a horse and I really know nothing about conformation so from my little knowledge on this I noticed the horse has long pasterns. And I am not sure about the shoulder angle. Her back is a *bit* on the short side which is fine by me, and her neck is a little shorter than most.

She is really pretty, a steel grey thoroughbred, 2 years old and 16.2. I am hoping her to be a 3' hunter on the B circuit but she looks fancy enough to dabble in the A circuit.

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...b/Picture3.png

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...b/Picture1.png

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...b/Picture2.png

I just want to know if I am going to run into troubles with her in the long run, been there done that too many times so I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks guys!

Um, all I get is her feet. Can't evaluate conformation off that. And they don't look so good for a 2 y/o. Something going on in that left front ankle.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

All I get are feet and legs too.... from what I "do" see, her right pastern looks like something I would have checked out first.. expecially if you want to jump.

The pasters "are" long.. and i would probably shy away from her because of that and jumping, but saying that; some horses can amaze you - - their conformation stinks and they perform and stay sound for many years....

But with a young horse, you will be putting time into training etc... so that is one big reason to walk away from bad conformation.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

Bored with what I am supposed to be doing (annual cleaning the desk and files) so looked again. Especially since DSS went for the right pastern when I saw something on the left.

Seems to be a thickening on both forelegs right above the fetlock, looks soft. Not good. You want clean, dry leg structure, paticularly on a youngster.

Steel grey???

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Bored with what I am supposed to be doing (annual cleaning the desk and files) so looked again. Especially since DSS went for the right pastern when I saw something on the left.

Seems to be a thickening on both forelegs right above the fetlock, looks soft. Not good. You want clean, dry leg structure, paticularly on a youngster.

Steel grey???

Do you think a bow????

I need to be cleaning stalls (hmmm) sounds fun like cleaning your desk..

I couldn't help looking again too... bony column of the leg above the hoof should be "over" the hoof. Look how far forward the hoof is in alignment to the leg. Maybe camera angle but still suspicious to me.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Do you think a bow????

I couldn't help looking again too... bony column of the leg above the hoof should be "over" the hoof. Look how far forward the hoof is in alignment to the leg. Maybe camera angle but still suspicious to me.
    Maybe a bow, maybe not. Certainly a candidate with those heels and pasterns-and that is probably what is causing whatever that thickening is. Doubt it can be blamed on hair, she has been clipped at the fetlock. No, that is some type of swelling.

Sound the gong as a jumping prospect.

You need real conformation shots to get any useful information. If you are looking at a 2 y/o as a hunter prospect, take your trainer and someone knowledgeable about babies with you to see her.

Thanks everyone, I was mostly looking for critiques on the legs since that is what stood out most too me, I am pretty good at judging the upper body confo simply because one of my horses was a train wreck for confo so I know what not to look for up there.

As I was loading the photos I noticed a possible bow? Also, and thought maybe it was the photo angle, who knows.

The horse was offered to me for free so I was hoping there would be some jumping hope. I may still go see her in person and get true conformation shots, see the legs up close, and bring a vet out. She is owned by a friend who rescued her from the meat man a day before christmas, and has been a paddock puff since then.

Thanks again!

You have to go see the horse in person to get a good confo eval. Late-shedding legs can look lumpy and distorted, especially in a photo. A horse that is a little long boned does not bother me, and can make for a super comfy ride. A horse that is short boned and upright can make for a jarring ride. If you are looking to do the 3' and not confo, you don't need a horse with A+ confo. You want one that moves nice, and has a good temperment. Since the horse is only 2, can you see it free jump?

It would be very helpful if the horse was standing on even, flat ground. When you have pics of the horse moving it becomes difficult to evaluate since they will have more weight on certain legs and less weight on others depending on when the pic was taken during the sequence of the stride. Post more pics please!