The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tuff Rider, Low Rise - opinions?

Though I just bought my Kerrits a few weeks ago, I am looking for another pair of schooling breeches/tights since I am riding more, especially with summer coming up.

If someone could give me sizing/comfort/durability/fit in these, that would be lovely (:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=LA-3523

They are the Tuff Rider Ribbed Low-rise Pull On Riding Breeches (mouthful!)

in the tiny cottage behind three maple trees

Well, they're not as comfy as cotton, but they're not too bad. I'd advise against the full seat ones though ... they fit really oddly.

I tried both the pull on ones and the front zips, and the front zips were smaller in the waist and ended up fitting me better than the pull ons, though both were low-rise and both were the same size.

I think with the cheaper breeches especially it's like buying clothes from Old Navy or Target—you have to try on everything, even if you already have that same size in your closet.

I got mine from Adam's ... they were right about $40, IIRC. And they were the only pair out of the eight pairs I ordered that did fit really well. Free shipping is so nice!
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I have a pair on right now--zip front. I've used these breeches for everyday wear for years and still have a couple from my original purchase in the daily rotation. Most recent addition to my collection are the low rise which aren't terribly low but are durable and comfortable. I find them pretty true to sizing.

I don't have the low-rise, but most of my breeches are TuffRider, in this ribby fabric. I ADORE them. They're really comfy - I'd wear them all the time if I wouldn't get funny looks at work And they wear really well, and come out of the washer looking great!

I do find they run about a size big. And they're the only breeches where the Long length actually comes past mid-calf on me, which makes me happy.

I have Tuff Riders and have been wearing them for over 10 years. And some of the old faithfuls are still in the rotation. I ride almost daily, plus foxhunt 4x a week 7 months out of the year.
    I agree that the full seats do fit weird. Can't stand pull on breeches. I have mostly front zip, and then I have 4 pair of the side zip ones that look like Tailored Sportsmans and actually fit me better than the TS.
    Every pair of Tuff Riders I have ever bought or ordered I got in 34 R and they have all fit me the same.
    I have not tried the Low Rise, but then I am 42 and although I am in very good shape no one wants to see a 42 year old woman in low rise breeches
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I've had the Tuff Rider zip fronts, and I've really liked them for schooling breeches. Mine lasted 5+ years until they finally wore out in the crotch. They're comfortable, and they come in nice dirt-camouflaging colours! I found mine started to pill after a while, with washings, but I also didn't give them any special treatment-- just threw them in the washer/dryer or out on the line.

I ordered Tuff Rider, Low Rise breeches about a year ago, and I absolutely love them. They are super comfy & durable. The real test will be over this summer when I'll be a working student and I'll be riding atleast 3-4 horses a day.
    I really recommend these though, and they come at a great price!

Love them for a cheap, decent schooling breech. I don't have the pull on ones though, so I can't vouch for their fit. I do have a pair of the ribbed zip front LR and their regular cotton LR with the wide waistband. Both are super comfortable, durable, and have lasted over a year with regular wear. Don't expect high end construction and fit, but they're good for what they are.

I do have a pair of the plain cotton ones, and DON'T get those. I sent one pair back due to holes around the seams, and the second pair did the same thing. The fabric is just not durable at all.

I had a pair of the ribbed ones though and they were fine. They SO don't fit anymore though!

I have the ribbed low rise full seats... and I love them! I have them in two colors, and wear them often (multiple days a week). They've held up well, and wash well. I don't know if I'm an odd size (as other posters seem to think these fit weird), but I love how they fit me, and they both fit the same. I wear the same size in these breeches as other brands, so maybe it's just the cut that's different, but the sizing seems honest to me. They are really nice and lightweight for summer without being as thin and showing all like some tights. These and my Ovation euroweave breeches are my favorites. My Pikeurs I never wear (literally, wore them once I think). Go figure.
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    My Training Blog: www.dressagefundamentals.com

I have the ribbed front zip low rise knee patch ones and I love them! They have held up great and lasted through my year and a half long assisting gig where is was riding about 6 a day... and they are still going strong. They are the most comfortable breeches I have found. Love em! I really like the colors too my favorites are a really pretty light blue color.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    I have Tuff Riders and have been wearing them for over 10 years. And some of the old faithfuls are still in the rotation. I ride almost daily, plus foxhunt 4x a week 7 months out of the year.
    I agree that the full seats do fit weird. Can't stand pull on breeches. I have mostly front zip, and then I have 4 pair of the side zip ones that look like Tailored Sportsmans and actually fit me better than the TS.
    Every pair of Tuff Riders I have ever bought or ordered I got in 34 R and they have all fit me the same.
    I have not tried the Low Rise, but then I am 42 and although I am in very good shape no one wants to see a 42 year old woman in low rise breeches
    I am also almost 42 but not in very good shape. I wear the low rise Tuff Riders front zip in the ribbed. I have the regular ones too but they make it well up my ribs and not that far from my bra. The low rise come up to my waist line and cover my belly button.
    You may want to try on the low rise. They are not low enough to show whale tale and belly button rings- at least not on me.
    I find them much more comfortable since I thought their regular waist was really high waisted compared to other brands.
    Last edited by SonnysMom; Apr. 29, 2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: grammar

Add me to the list of those who love the ribbed, zip fly ones. I find that they run a tad large, but I like that (I hate riding tights). I wore mine to a recognized show with 30 people per division, and nobody noticed nor commented. LOVE them. I don't feel that the full seats fit weirdly, but the low riders were waaaay too big in the waist on me.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

i gave up buying anything but tough rider. the aerocools are the bomb this time of year, and the ones dover normally has on sale for $40 with the ribbed/corduroy material are my personal favorites.
    I dont do low rise because I cant see how that makes sense in the saddle, so i can't really comment on the specific ones you picked.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    I do have a pair of the plain cotton ones, and DON'T get those. I sent one pair back due to holes around the seams, and the second pair did the same thing. The fabric is just not durable at all.

I had a pair of the ribbed ones though and they were fine. They SO don't fit anymore though!
    I had the exact same experience. I wore my TuffRider cotton low rise's ONCE and they had holes in the seam up the butt! So not cool. They fit really flatteringly to be honest, but what's the point if they fall apart? I also have a winter full seat pair and they have pilled like crazy - also embarrassing because my friends make fun of me when hair, hay and shavings stick to them. I'm not a fan of the ill-named TuffRiders

Well I am older than 42 AND I wear the lowrise Tuff Rider breeches. IF you are short through the waist the low rise do come to your actual waist. Regular waist Breeches come up to near my bra line...LOL! So unflattering and so uncomfortable.

In a perfect world we would be all tall and thin....

I find these breeches wear like iron and so affordable. I have two pair. I wear 34R in lowrise. I have they ribb fabric and the cotton/cord ones as well.

the ribbed zip-up Tuffriders are awesome; but um, unless you're body has a natural "low rise" (most folks don't) PLEASE don't ride in "low rise" breeches. Especially if you also ride commando. Or have any body fat at all. Or like to wear colorful thong underwear. "low rise" just isn't a good thing for most.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Ditto caper. I am way past 42, but I need low rise, because without them, my waistband could double as my sportsbra. Looks very strange, and is quite uncomfortable.

I have the Tuff Rider low rise front zip, knee patch, with the ribbed fabric. They wear fantastically well, but are not quite as cool as those all cotton breeches. Guess the nylon just doesn't breathe as well. But I'd absolutely buy another pair.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by eventer_mi View Post
    Add me to the list of those who love the ribbed, zip fly ones.
    Add me as well. They're comfortable and seem to last forever. Knee-patch only. I can't comment on full-seats b/c I never wear them. And I loathe side-zips and pull-ons. They just seem to look weird... or rather, I feel weird with the way they bunch in front... not that zip flies don't... but that's different.
    "I did know once, only I've sort of forgotten." - Winnie the Pooh

I have the pull-on low rises in a 30 and could have gone with a 28. They seem to run a little big, not just in the waist but all through the breech: in the 30, the legs are a little loose and I get some folds behind my knee. That said, I adore them! Super tough, wash fantastically, comfy and cool. I have the grey ones and they still look new even though I've had them over a year.
    Some nights I stay up cashing in my bad luck; some nights I call it a draw. -- fun.