The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Ideas for a short backed horse

I have a very short backed horse, to have the dressage saddle in the spot where the girth wants to go, the saddle ends up too close to his shoulder. Any suggestions on a saddle?

Thanks!

I have a short-backed horse too, and my Trilogy Verago fits him well.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

My friend just got a custom saddle from Custom Saddlery ()
    She has a very short wide back 16h Lusitano stallion. Like she just cannot put any 18'' saddle on. She's glad to be 5'4 !!!

Good service, good saddle, (not so) good price!!! LOL

- Do you know you can have billets put in different ways on your saddle (depends on models). Maybe the V shaped type would suit better for your horse.

I have a similar thing: short coupled, not large horse, forward girth groove...but a rider who needs a 17.5 - 18 saddle, depending on the maker.

One idea is to set the saddle back far enough to clear the scapula, and use an anatomic girth (example:http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...ategory_Code=G and http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...&Category_Code)

It's tough having a short coupled horse that also has a somewhat laid-back shoulder AND a forward girth groove...

If you figure out a solution, please share!

What about the Lovatt and Ricketts Arabian Berkeley Dressage Saddle?

see my thread (sorry I don't remember the title) but started by arabiansrock, lots of kind people responded to me, I have exactly the same problem. there were several good ideas out there.

My solution was to order a Fairfax (leather version of thorowgood) but it won't even be here for another 4-5 weeks. I am currently very seriously contemplating buying a thorowgood t4 to use in the meantime as my current saddle cannot be put on her again, it hurts her too badly.

good luck and please let us know what ends up working for you.
    arabsrock

A friend has a very short-backed horse. I believe her saddle is a Duett.

Hey - thanks for all the ideas - I think I am going to try the anatomic girth one first.

Albion makes one specifically for short-backed horses. It was designed for the Lips at the Spanish Riding School. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of it.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

My 15.2 hand guy was so short backed, I had a rider come up to me at a show and ask where I put the saddle . I used a Niedersuss Symphonie in a 17.5 with an anatomical girth and didn't have any problems.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

My stallion takes a 68" sheet... and has a scapular that goes on for days.

He has done well in treeless (Fhoenix), Reactor Panel (short panels for him, correct seat for me) and Passier.

What you DON'T want is flat gussetted panels, as generally they'll dig into the loin. Panels that sweep up behind will allow a bigger seat for the rider while not being too long for the horse. I manage to ride him in an 18.5" Passier, which actually is a bit big for me, (18 would be better) but he adores it, so, I don't argue.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I have a little TB mare that I'm having similar problems with. She's 16h, very petite, and much more "square" than rectangle.

After much trail and tribulation, I've sent my Schleese Wave back to the manufacturer to be 'shortened.' They plan to cut back the panels and cut out the bit of padding that extends past the back of the cantle.

I LOVE that saddle - just need it to fit my little mare!!

I have the new Albion for short-backed horses. It's called the Classical. My short-backed, forward girth groove, laid back scapula, and big moving mare loves it. She also tolerated the prestige D2000 and the KN. I noticed all of these saddles have short and small panels that are not flared in the back. The big flared panels that are so fashionable now--because they do look comfortable--were torture to my mare's loin and invariably pushed forward onto her shoulders even with an anatomic girth.