The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone shipped a horse from west coast to east coast? Cost?

Im in NJ and am looking into a horse in CA. If you have any recommendations on shippers or a round about idea of cost, I would love to hear it. Thanks!
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

It seems every horse I buy is on the East Coast. sigh.

It's $10,400 a pallet. So if there are only 2 horses on it, $5,200. If you can find a third horse it drops to $3,500. This is for FedEx, I think they are all relatively the same money though.
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Last time I shipped coast-to-coast was eight years ago or so, and it was about $1800 (for the ground route, that is ).
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    Last time I shipped coast-to-coast was eight years ago or so, and it was about $1800 (for the ground route, that is ).
    Hmmm... might be more fun to do a road trip... LOL I haven't even flown out to see the horse. Just wanted to calculate the cost... Thanks for the info guys
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Quote Originally Posted by Showjumper28 View Post
    Hmmm... might be more fun to do a road trip... LOL I haven't even flown out to see the horse. Just wanted to calculate the cost... Thanks for the info guys
    I've done it myself, too, six or seven years ago, and that was about $1200 (not counting grain and hay - since I would have had to feed the horses whether we were on the road or not!) from Idaho to New Hampshire. We took it easy - extra stops and breaks and short days - because one of the horses was a baby, so fewer days would make it cheaper. Of course, we camped every night, and gas prices were lower then...
    Proud member of the EDRF

I shipped a horse from CA to NJ in March 2010. It cost me $2500 for a box stall (other horses were already going the same way, or it might have been more). I used Yosemite Equine Transport. They were very nice. My friend used Bob Hubbard Transport for a horse from NM to NJ. They were also very good. When I called them they quoted me ~$3000 for a box stall. Both companies do this cross-country trip often.

I shipped my gelding last summer from CA to MD and then back again. I had very good luck with Lightstar horse transport. It was $1,800 for a stall and half each way. And I swear my boy who has never been on a trip that long before came off the trailer fatter than when he went on. They regularly do coast to coast runs so scheduling is pretty easy.

I am shipping a horse from Iowna to oregon in a couple months and was quoted $750 from wings transport...Yosemite quoted me 1800 for the same trip... my husband said for $1800 he will go get her himself,lol...

I would only do that trip with a box stall or via air. It's much too long for a horse to be on cross ties with its head held up. If you do ground, depending on time of year, you need to think about whether the trailer is climate controlled (on top of all the other things to consider, including stopovers).

I did TX to MA in '08, single stall, $1200 via Cox, and Montana to MA in '09, box stall, also about $1200, via Montana Horse Express. Both horses were babies (weanling and yearling) both arrived in good order.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I would only do that trip with a box stall or via air.
    I think it's worth the $$ (to me, at least) to have them take a 5 hour trip instead of a 3 day one. I think what I spend in shipping, I save in vet bills.
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Beware the quote way below the others...unless they already have a full load you can tag along with. Check them out carefully-they sometimes use some creative routing and have to pick up and drop off constantly throughout the trip. That $750 Iowa to Oregon is about .50 cents a mile-less then the normal charge. Find out why.

Know one shipping from California to Chicago on a low quote that sort of disappeared for 10 days. All ended well, guess they stopped with it (like an 85k show horse) at a farm (farm, not a stable) in Nebraska for over a week while they waited for another load. It had lost a little weight-they said it did not like the dairy cattle. Unacceptable unless disclosed.

Ditto on the air transport. A day door to door versus potentially 5 to 7, or more, in a van with stopovers and barring breakdowns or bad weather.

They fly race horses back and forth all then time. Sallee offers it, so does Brookledge and I see above, Fed Ex. They only shchedual the flight when they get a full load so that helps with the cost. All you got to do is arrange a ride to the airport and a pick up on the other end.

watch the low quotes on that too, particulaly from small outfits. They charter some pretty shabby equipment and that is a consideration.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Not sure if it helps at all, but I just had my new horse shipped here from New Mexico (he arrived last night - yay!). The original cost was supposed to be $1,600, but since the guy I bought him from is also a shipper, he gave me a great deal and only charged me $1,000.

I got my horse shipped from Georgia to California last year. I found a hauler on uShip.com and he charged me $800, everything included. They were very professional, and kept me updated every day during the trip. If you are interested, their website is: www.griffinsburgequine.com/horsetransport.htm

I guess if you are flexible on the dates, you can expect not to pay more than $1200 with any hauler.

I second the "you get what you pay for"

Brook Ledge does NY To CA in three days.

I would be VERY careful of uship.com. I've had a hauler (that checked out VERY well) not show up and then not return my calls. And a friend had her horse shipped from CA to KY by a hauler found off that site- horse sat in Texas for a week at a layover that was not disclosed prior to the trip and arrived without her blankets (this was Jan), lost at least 150 lbs if not more and seriously scraped up.

You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by IBWmassage View Post
    I would be VERY careful of uship.com. I've had a hauler (that checked out VERY well) not show up and then not return my calls. And a friend had her horse shipped from CA to KY by a hauler found off that site- horse sat in Texas for a week at a layover that was not disclosed prior to the trip and arrived without her blankets (this was Jan), lost at least 150 lbs if not more and seriously scraped up.

You get what you pay for.
    How much did you pay for those trips tha tyou weren't happy with? out of curiosity...