The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Humane Society University?

A friend gave me an HSUS magazine today and I skimmed through it, noting the articles on animals doing a job (preventing poaching), the attack on carriage driving in NYC, and an ad for Humane Society University.

So I wondered if anyone here has any experience of the school?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Uh Oh. This can't end well.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Uh Oh. This can't end well.
    Sets down pitcher of Margaritas (cause at the Grataan household, we make Margaritas, not mere margaritas) and bowl of popped corn, plunks chair down next to sketcher.

Wayne Pacell. GO.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

I'm sure it's a quality educational institution and not just a cynical money grab from the wallets of young, idealists who actually believe they will be gainfully employed with their college degrees as animal caretakers.

I love the careers page. Wait no, I love the page that lists the faculty and their qualifications. Wait....no...lemme look again...

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    Sets down pitcher of Margaritas (cause at the Grataan household, we make Margaritas, not mere margaritas) and bowl of popped corn, plunks chair down next to sketcher.
    Oh Grataan, I've decided we must become friends. You like Arabs, went to school way too long (different degrees, but same length of school time) and make Margaritas. With a capital M. Surely, that's the basis of a great friendship?

On a more serious note since I'm guessing the OP did not know about the can of worms she was opening.

I haven't looked in a while, but Humane University used to have some on-line classes I was interested in. However there were a few things to keep in mind:
    1) These are not classes that anyone is going to think important if you are looking for a job. MAYBE some animal shelters/rescues would be interested to see you had these classes. But working in animal welfare doesn't even pay peanuts.
    2) If you attend any of the classes, you need to have a basic understanding of the differences of animal welfare and animal rights. And you need to know enough to ignore any animal rights' agenda and just take useful info out of the classes.

A lot people do not like the HSUS (and for good reason). However there are some good people who still may be giving classes for the program. You could learn something from them, but you would need the ability to sort through info, throw out the propaganda, and take what is actually useful.

If you are not currently in the animal welfare field, planning or going into animal welfare, or just wanting to educate yourself further and have money to burn, I would not bother.

If you would like to learn about doing animal control work/animal investigations or getting disaster training, I would highly recommend Code 3 Associates - www.code3associates.org - I've gone through much of their training and found them pretty practical. And the people involved have worked in animal welfare/animal control for years.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

<snort> $900 per class for undergrad and grad and it isn't even accredited. That, to me, makes them look even less trustworthy.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

It seemed to me that this "university" idea is brilliant -- and worth noting, if we are concerned about the aims of the HSUS. If the courses are well structured and appealing, even more so. It's a terrific propaganda machine, and I wondered if anyone knew how successful -- or not -- it has been at attracting students.
    Last edited by MySparrow; Apr. 28, 2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: thought better of it

Animal rights groups of any kind, the HSUS especially, as it is the largest one out there, are a real threat to our right to have and use animals, all of them, including our horses.

Here is more, if you care to see where all those groups have their fingers in and how they want to change us, using the lame excuse "we are only for the welfare of the animals" to eventually make owning and using any animals impossible:

http://www.dailyyonder.com/ag-vs-hsu...010/04/22/2706

Very interesting. Per the article linked,

"Its favorite argument is that HSUS uses only one percent of its funds to shelter homeless animals. HumaneWatch’s David Martosko now travels about giving anti-HSUS speeches as the battle between commodity groups and the Humane Society intensifies."

So what does humanewatch do with its donations??

Quote Originally Posted by tkhawk View Post
    Very interesting. Per the article linked,

"Its favorite argument is that HSUS uses only one percent of its funds to shelter homeless animals. HumaneWatch’s David Martosko now travels about giving anti-HSUS speeches as the battle between commodity groups and the Humane Society intensifies."

So what does humanewatch do with its donations??
    Good question, ask them?

Here is what the HSUS does with their money, what they have to declare and can't funnel to other places where that is not required:

http://activistcash.com/organization...-united-states

That is a new organization, just formed, so there are no IRS figures for it.
    They state clearly their goal, to stand up to the HSUS, little that they can do, a very small, new David to a massive, old, experienced and very rich and resourceful Goliath.
    Probably a mere inconvenience to the mighty HSUS, not worth their attention or time.

I tried looking at Humanewatch's website and can't figure out if it is a trade group or a charity type org? If it is a trade group, then fine-all industries have them . That is how business works-I belong to one too. But othrwise just curious to know if this David guy has turned the legitimate anger against HSUS into a nice business-living the high life. Which if true-good for him-but curious minds would like to know.

I think the last part of the article was very spot on. When the industry says you are with us or with HSUS and they are coming to take all your animals away- that does put off many people. Here it looks like it is putting off some farmers too. It is possible to be somewhere in the middle, where you are not necessarily a fan of HSUS and yet not necessarily for the other side either.

says Tim Gibbons, communications director for the Missouri Rural Crisis Center. "They're causing the industry to say, 'You're either for us, or you're for the Humane Society.' And that's not the truth,” Gibbons told Hinman. And the trouble is that this division is forcing small farmers to choose between big agricultural interests and the Humane Society — when neither has the best interest of the small producer at heart.

"You don't have to be either/or," Gibbons continued. "There is another position out there, and that's having independent family farmers raising livestock ethically on open, competitive markets. It's good for a state, and for farmers, and our national security, and for a whole multitude of reasons it's good for the economy."

"

Quote Originally Posted by MySparrow View Post
    I wondered if anyone knew how successful -- or not -- it has been at attracting students.
    I haven't seen any #s on it. I haven't heard from anyone I know who works in the animal welfare field that's attended any of their classes. I thought about it for a while (I can weed out propaganda and take home the useful stuff), but I had a hard time getting good info on the classes out of them. And didn't want to pay money to take a class that may be useful or may be 99% garbage.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

So, if I went through all levels of the Parelli program AND the Humane Society University, would that be considered. . .like. . .a double major?

Or would it just make me a really dirt-poor sucker?
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post
    So, if I went through all levels of the Parelli program AND the Humane Society University, would that be considered. . .like. . .a double major?

You'd have a BA in BS.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    You'd have a BA in BS.
    ::spew::

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post

Ever met a real, died in the wool parellite, that has swallowed their story line, sinker and hook?
    They practically need deprogramming to become normal thinking people.

Well, the HSUS followers I know are the same.
    They believe all those stories and myths and think everyone else out there not seeing the rightness in what the HSUS keeps shoveling into them, so they become properly rightfully incensed, are ogres abusing their animals right and left.
    No matter that they have most of them never ever been close to any of those animals they are supposedly full of knowledge and stories enough to touch it, other than pets, so they really don't have any frame of reference to know what is true or myths to further agendas, but hey, never let reality and facts impinge on your beliefs.

I think that the HSUS is just that, one more non-profit religion out there, that will look after your soul if you just send them donations, will send you back stories to make you feel so good about yourself for donating, you won't have to worry about your soul, it is insured eternal bliss because you earn so many gold stars with every donation.

They don't even need to spend money on real churches, or help any but a few to say they do so much good, but they claim to help them all just by their existence.

Go to their University for proper brainwashing and only very serious deprogramming will help you after that, I am afraid.

Frightening. I'd rather join the Hare Krishnas and have fun harassing folks at airports.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Frightening. I'd rather join the Hare Krishnas and have fun harassing folks at airports.
    They don't really do that anymore. They got banned by a lot of airports.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!