The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dumb question: Scoring XC fences removed from a course

I'm probably just blind and can't find it in the rules.

If a fence is pulled from a course partway through the competition for safety reasons, do the riders who had issues at that fence (i.e. a refusal) but completed the course, have the penalties taken off?
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Default NOT a dumb question! :-)

I can speak for an incident at Poplar this past spring. The burial mound at the end of the CIC*** caused several horse/rider falls among the first 5 or 6 riders before it was taken off the course. "Rider Fall" was changed to "Retired" since a) one cannot fall at a fence that no longer exists, and b) "Retired" will not affect the rider's qualification status.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabar View Post
    I can speak for an incident at Poplar this past spring. The burial mound at the end of the CIC*** caused several horse/rider falls among the first 5 or 6 riders before it was taken off the course. "Rider Fall" was changed to "Retired" since a) one cannot fall at a fence that no longer exists, and b) "Retired" will not affect the rider's qualification status.
    So on that note, why were all of the riders that fell at Rolex, not given a RF on the record rather than an E or does that rule only apply to amatures so as not to affect the Pros records?
    Also, is there still a rule about 2 falls and you have to take a break for awhile??

The rule applies to everyone. As for why the E vs. RF, I can't know. Perhaps simplicity for public consumption.

Rolex is run under FEI rules not USEF rules. Under FEI rules (Article 532):
    Fall of athlete and/or horse on Cross Country Course elimination

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabar View Post
    The rule applies to everyone. As for why the E vs. RF, I can't know. Perhaps simplicity for public consumption.
    "RF" is only used at USEF Horse Trials, etc.

FEI does not have a separate notation for "Rider Fall", it is just "E".
    Fall of athlete and/or horse on Cross Country Course - elimination
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by boppin along View Post
    Also, is there still a rule about 2 falls and you have to take a break for awhile??
    You don't have to "take a break", but, depending on the details and the timing, you may have to "re-establish the horse's qualification" by completing at a lower level.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Does that mean that rider falls at FEI events do not count towards the new "loss of qualifications" rule?

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDogs View Post
    Does that mean that rider falls at FEI events do not count towards the new "loss of qualifications" rule?
    My understanding is that the fall itself (horse or rider) counts toward the loss of establishment, regardless of how it is reported in the final results.

Furthermore, Elimination for disobediences ALSO counts toward loss of establishment, so, in many cases, you don't really need to know whether the FEI "E" was for refusals, horse fall, or rider fall.
    Janet

Thanks, Janet!