The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spoon bit

Hi all

Just purchased a dee ring spoon bit for a horse that like to put his tongue over the bit. Has anyone used one, how did you or the horse I should say like it?

thanks

can you post a pic, because I don't really know what a spoon bit is

Sorry can't post a pic, bought it from Bit of Britain, perhaps you can look it up!

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Dee_Ring..._Bit_p/380.htm

This?

I have never seen or used a bit like this before, but also curious to see if anyone has had experience with it.

The yard I rode at in Europe didn't use a spoon very often, but rather used these types of bits in order to help keep the tongue under the bit.

They seemed to do the trick. At least when I rode said horses, they never seemed to have any problems and accepted them just fine.

Tongue bit pic

Something a bit milder

There was also a separate headstall with a very thin ported bit that had small rings to attach to the separate headstall that went on before the bridle. I think Beezie Madden's Authentic used to go in the same headstall and I have been trying to find a picture or the name of the attachment so stay tuned!

Hope you find a solution!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Default Yes, that's the bit!

I just rode my horse with the spoon bit- he played with it for a minute when I first put his bridle on, than was quiet with it. When we cantered, which is when he usually plays and gets his tongue over the bit he tried for a few seconds and then settled and focused on work! So far so good. I'll be happy if this is a solution instead of cranking the bit up higher and tightening the noseband.

Default Yes, that's the bit ONTARGET!

I just rode my horse with the spoon bit- he played with it for a minute when I first put his bridle on, than was quiet with it. When we cantered, which is when he usually plays and gets his tongue over the bit he tried for a few seconds and then settled and focused on work! So far so good. I'll be happy if this is a solution instead of cranking the bit up higher and tightening the noseband.