The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer too short for horse

While driving through downtown Houston yesterday I came up behind a 2 horse trailer, which, in itself was a bit odd in the middle of the city. It was one of these straight loads with mangers at the front. One horse had it's tail hanging over the back. At 1st I thought it was the other one's anus that I could see but as we got closer I realised that the idiots hauling the horse had used the front manger for their saddles so the horse couldn't put it's head up there. As a result, it's tail was pushed so far back against the back of the trailer that it had rubbed it bloody. I pulled up alongside at the lights and rolled down the windows. I nicely said "excuse me, your horse seems to be rubbing against the back of the trailer and it's tail bone is rubbed raw and bloody". The woman looked at me and said "Uh huh, thanks" and then looked straight ahead.

I was so annoyed. My husband just commented "you saw the trailer, you saw the truck, you saw the people - what did you expect?" and sadly, he was right. Poor horse.

wow, that's awful :/ poor horse
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Licence plate number + call to police.

Some horses sit on the tailgate no matter how much room they have. They don't seem to care if they bloody up their tail doing it either.

How do you mistake something (whatever it was) for a horse's anus?!?!?!?!

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post
    How do you mistake something (whatever it was) for a horse's anus?!?!?!?!
    Well, they frequently are disguised as politicians, and that seems to fool a lot of folks.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Well, they frequently are disguised as politicians, and that seems to fool a lot of folks.
    :teehee
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post
    Some horses sit on the tailgate no matter how much room they have. They don't seem to care if they bloody up their tail doing it either.
    Yep. I have one of those - he likes to have his butt against the back of the trailer no matter how long it is. And he HAS rubbed raw before even though the trailer he was riding in was plenty long enough. (After that, I learned never to haul him without a tail wrap on - perhaps this person will do the same. )
    Proud member of the EDRF

on the plus side, it had not (yet) pushed the door open and fallen out on the roadway (as we have seen happen around here too often)
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

However, one wouldn't really be expecting to seeing an anus-look-alike politician in the back of a horse trailer. There's not so many other things that look like anuses (anusi??) that could have got her confused...

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

True.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    Yep. I have one of those - he likes to have his butt against the back of the trailer no matter how long it is. And he HAS rubbed raw before even though the trailer he was riding in was plenty long enough. (After that, I learned never to haul him without a tail wrap on - perhaps this person will do the same. )
    I have one of those, too. He has rubbed his tail bloody more than once - he actually does better with a tail wrap, although he can get them off.

We just bought a slant load trailer as he seems to do better in those (and not make himself miserable).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

THANK You for providing me the afternoon laugh. I just spit my soda on the desk.

My trailer is long..and my horse still will go as far back as he can against the butt bar. The tailgate is to high for his tail to go up. I will close the doors if we are going for a long trip.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

OK, so to describe my initial confusion with the horse's anus............ when my guy does a poop, he lifts his tail and then as he poops the inside wall of his anus is visible and it's all red - is this graphic enough yet? So, when I was still quite a bit back from this trailer, I could see the black tail to the side, so thought he had lifted it to the side, and could see a red circle, thus deducing it was his butt hole.

Obviously as I got a little closer it was pretty obvious I was mistaken.

I guess I haven't had a horse that does this before, it looked so painful. However, he was also reaching across and nipping his trailer buddy as he was pushed so far back that he could actually get his head around the metal guard at the head end.