The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rice bran or alfalfa pellets?

So with winter and the resulting lack of grass in the pastures, my 5yo TB is dropping some weight. Normally my first choice would be providing hay in the pasture, but for the time being that's not an option (she is boarded and the owners of the horse she is turned out with don't want a round bale for their horse- he's leaving in a couple weeks, and after that she can hopefully have a round bale!).
    She is getting a double serving (probably close to half a bale) of bermuda hay in her stall in the evenings plus 2 1/2 ish pounds of Southern States 11-6 pelleted feed. I'm looking to help her gain back a little of the weight she's lost without dumping large amounts of grain at her, and am debating between a rice-bran type product like Nutrena Empower or Purina Amplify, both of which I have access to, or a more forage-based approach like alfalfa pellets. I understand cubes would have to be soaked, but would pellets? Has anyone had experience using any of these products for weight gain? I've used the Empower in the past and been happy with it, but I'm curious if one of the others might be better in this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by dbolte View Post
    So with winter and the resulting lack of grass in the pastures, my 5yo TB is dropping some weight. Normally my first choice would be providing hay in the pasture, but for the time being that's not an option (she is boarded and the owners of the horse she is turned out with don't want a round bale for their horse- he's leaving in a couple weeks, and after that she can hopefully have a round bale!).
    She is getting a double serving (probably close to half a bale) of bermuda hay in her stall in the evenings plus 2 1/2 ish pounds of Southern States 11-6 pelleted feed. I'm looking to help her gain back a little of the weight she's lost without dumping large amounts of grain at her, and am debating between a rice-bran type product like Nutrena Empower or Purina Amplify, both of which I have access to, or a more forage-based approach like alfalfa pellets. I understand cubes would have to be soaked, but would pellets? Has anyone had experience using any of these products for weight gain? I've used the Empower in the past and been happy with it, but I'm curious if one of the others might be better in this situation?
    Beet pulp no molasses won't make her hot and will help with the weight.

I'm not sure I can get beet pulp without molasses- my regular feed store can't get it in without molasses at all. And I know it would have to be soaked, and I hate to put the barn help through that.

I've used beet pulp, rice bran (by itself - not in the expensive forms like Amplify), and alfalfa pellets. For me, my mare seems to respond the best to the rice bran. Granted, my mare loves beet pulp and I do see a bit of a difference with it and the alfalfa, but with my mare, if I add too much bulk, she will just stop eating and leave feed behind. I can add the calories with rice bran in a much smaller amount while continuing to feed the grass hay and get better results quicker. But that's just my personal experience with my picky mare who if fed very much, will just not eat it all

Yep, that's why I went with the Empower on my other horse- he was picky and would quit eating. Don't think it's as much of a problem with my mare though- she's very food motivated : )

I love Purina Amplify. I used to drive an hour and a half each way into MI and buy 2 50lb bags every 6 months. If I could get it up here a little easier I would still be feeding it.
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Of those choices, for ease of feeding, palatability and weight-gain potential I'd choose the Amplify.
    Click here before you buy.

I just prefer to keep things as "low carb" as possible. Alfalfa based isn't bad if she isn't the sort to get hot. Beet pulp not soaked is used by some I soak it but some don't. Other than that if I had to choose I would try alfalfa based wether cubes or pelleted.

I personally use Equi-jewel (Rice bran pellets) and alfalfa pellets (no, they do not need to be soaked). However, the alfalfa pellets are more for energy and lysine then for weight gain, though they do help. You could also feed hay stretcher, it doesn't need to be soaked and is just cool calories. Every horse I have gotten that was underweight got these (They LOVED them) and safely put weight on. Unless you are giving a lot of rice bran pellets, you are going to add more shine, then weight.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator