The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jackie Kennedy on a Polo Pony.

I found this oil painting of her riding a nice looking polo pony'

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7314565

Looks like she is just excersizing it.

Did she play polo too?
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

I don't remember anything about her playing polo in that picture book a few years ago about her involvement with horses, but I just glanced through the book. Artistic license, maybe?

It always looked like she really enjoyed the horses. They were probably a nice escape for her.

As an art collector, that's not a great painting in my book.

Historically, maybe.

She loved riding & showing. I remember seeing photos of her at (outdoor) horse shows and when Caroline was old enough, she rode and showed a pony named Macaroni. During JFK's funeral procession, Jackie's horse was tacked up and led with tall boots backwards in the stirrups. IIRC
    So very long ago...

Actually, it kinda looks like she was going fox-hunting/cubbing???

The flat tack could easily be mistaken for polo... but based on what she was wearing and the monogrammed saddle pad, my guess is that she was out for a hunt or hunter pace. She did hunt out in Bedminster, so it's definitely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Trees4U View Post
    During JFK's funeral procession, Jackie's horse was tacked up and led with tall boots backwards in the stirrups. IIRC
    So very long ago...
    I don't believe that was the case. The horse led in the funeral procession was from the caison unit, named Black Jack.

As the story goes Jackie requested that the horse would not be ridden again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Jack_%28horse%29
    Last edited by Alagirl; Apr. 27, 2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: add link
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Jackie was also presented with the tack used at the funeral. I wonder what happened to it when her worldly goods were disposed of following her death.

The horse himself was pretty rank to handle during ceremonies, and he ultimately developed a fan club, including a lady who baked a cake for him and the Caisson Platoon members every month.

Robert Knuckle wrote "Black Jack, America's Famous Riderless Horse," and it's fascinating.

Life Magazine ran a picture of Jackie coming off at a post and rail while hunting. She was said to ride quite well, but the paparazzi was always looking for the exciting shots. I believe that later on she gave up hunting so that she wouldn't disrupt the hunt for the other riders.

I always felt jealous of Caroline having her pony Macaroni right there at the house, even though I had the equivalent on my parents' ranch.

I looked at the painting, and it is truly ordinary. I also wondered where the polo idea came from, and thought she was just hacking out.

The incredible hunt country photographer Marshall Hawkins took that famous photo of Jackie coming off at the post and rail while hunting with Orange. He sought her permission before publishing it IIRC. I was always amazed she didn't break her arm or wrist from the way she was going down. There is also another photo of her re-mounted after the fall.

Marshall was a wonderful man - definitely not papparazzi.

I can't believe that you can get "A Field of Horses" for $38. http://www.amazon.com/Field-Horses-W.../dp/0878336257

Jimmy Young and Marshall were planning a follow-up book but Marshall died unexpectedly. I've always wondered what happened to his negatives.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

You're right Alagirl.

Jackie's had star.
    I believe the media originally reported it incorrectly.

Jackie K/O makes me think of The House of Yes. Which was much more interesting I think than Jackie K/O ever was, horses or no.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

There was some (VERY preliminary) talk of using an Arab stallion Jackie owned who'd been a state gift as the caparisoned horse for the funeral (per Manchester's "Death of a President"). I don't think it even went so far as asking the Old Guard and I strongly suspect that request would have been denied if it had been made. It takes fairly special animals to put up with military funerals to begin with and to say JFK's was a three-ring circus is a minor understatement. Their choices were between two horses, Black Jack and a gray gelding whom IIRC was named Shorty. They went with Black Jack because he was prettier. He spent most of the procedings trying to going minorly bats#!% and nearly yanked his leader's arm off. (Related, the Old Guard had some people arguing that the caisson horses should be ridden by the most senior noncoms, but they ultimately chose young, big and very strong on the assumption the horses would be nervous and of all days, that was not the one to have the caisson team flip out.

If she was given/kept the tack, it was auctioned along with the rest of her belongings, one presumes. I think, though, for some reason, they were given back to the Old Guard (whose museum's apparently moving and their website is down. I am having no luck with military websites today...looking at you, too, Air Force.) I did see one reference that the Secretary of the Army offered to give her *Black Jack*, but she politely declined and suggested it was better he remain in military service. (He did, until he was euthanized, and was buried with full honors at Fort Meyer.) He served in over 1000 funerals, and was the last serving horse with the quartermaster brand.

I agree, btw--that painting might have some historic value but as an art piece...

My aunt's father was a veterinarian. He took care of one of Jackie's horses one night for an emergency when the usual vet was unavailable. Jackie herself came down to the barn to make sure the horse was ok. Said she was a lovely person. As a thank you she mailed Dr. S an autographed photo of herself with some horses. My aunt still has that photo.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Tini Sea Soldier View Post
    Actually, it kinda looks like she was going fox-hunting/cubbing???

The flat tack could easily be mistaken for polo... but based on what she was wearing and the monogrammed saddle pad, my guess is that she was out for a hunt or hunter pace. She did hunt out in Bedminster, so it's definitely possible.
    I can't see the painting, I'm at work and that site is blocked. She certainly did hunt. She showed alot of outside course type hunters (which they don't have any more) and hunter paces etc.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Godawful painting.

I don't know what she was supposed to be doing in the picture. The coat looks like a frock by its cut, but I thought colored saddle pads with monograms weren't used in the hunt field? So I'll guess cubbing, as did an earlier poster. Mrs. Kennedy Onassis was a foxhunter, but I never heard she played polo.