The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Winthrop, WA anyone?

Hey guys , looking for more info.

Winthrop has popped up on our radar lately and I was wondering if any of you had information about the area. In particular housing seems to be hard to locate online. I'm wondering if everything is run by property management (bleck) or it's just such a small town/area that rentals aren't that common?

Also what's the show scene like? Is there much of a community? What about the stables? Anyone have personal experience?

Thanks in advance for all the input!
    Loved. Thankful. Blessed.

Winthrop is TINY - I'd be amazed if they had any rentals to be honest. Mostly it's a little tourist town, cute as heck.

I don't know a whole lot about it other than having vacationed near that several years ago. Hoping to go back again this summer. :-)

That's out east side of the mountains? Pretty much out in the middle of nowhere, 3 hours from the nearest show grounds (Monroe, Evergreen State Fairgrounds).

Maybe a local round up for deer? LOL! Seriously, it is wayyyyyy out there.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I'm near Wenatchee and while I've never been to Winthrop, I'm going to guess that rental property would be found locally - your best bet would be to visit and ask around.

There is some horse stuff going on there - and people from Winthrop come down to Wenatchee for dressage and open shows (various disciplines).

There is virtually no Hunter/Jumper activity in the area, but there is some interest in eventing.

This is definitely more a Western area than English.

I'm going to guess that it's about 1-1/2 to 2 hours from Wenatchee - we do have a couple of dressage trainers here.

Good Luck - I hear it's a beautiful area - I need to go take a look!
    www.moranequinephoto.com
    "If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom."
    Byron

Winthrop and Twisp are in the Methow Valley. As others have said, it's probably too small to support much showing. But there is a LOT of trail-riding, and the scenery is fabulous.

You can find more information and some rentals here:
    www.methowvalleynews.com

I've done some trail-riding there with friends and had a wonderful time.