The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Default why do horses drool water on you...

and then shake their heads laughing?

You know what I mean. they fill their mouths with water and then walk over to you and open their mouths and let the water run all over you.

I hypothesized it was a courtesy to cool you off (whether you need it or not), but my husband says it's horse humor because they laugh afterwards.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Hubby wins.

Our pastured horses have big, communal water troughts.
    I have seen them do that to each other, seemingly to annoy.
    Yes, they look like they are laughing, when the one trying to drink is time and again being watered down and has to keep stopping drinking to shake.

Whoever said the ability to play and laugh were differences between humans and the rest of the animals has not been around many animals.

I think horses discuss evil jokes with dogs, so dogs will jump on well dressed, late to work owners with muddy paws.

Dogs with muddy paws, not the owners.....

Horses have a wicked sense of humor...

Because it's funny. Maresy does it all the time and I am too dumb to get out of her way right after she has a drink!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Probably for the same reason mine insists on spraying me with the hose every time I hose him off. Seriously, he will paw the ground until I put the hose at his mouth and I get sprayed, then he is very happy. It's all in good horsey fun.

I'm convinced it's a joke... my horse does it again and again if he's in his stall. Fill up mouth with water, spin around and fling water at me, fill up mouth again, spin around and drool water on me... he apparently finds it delightful. (:

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    Horses have a wicked sense of humor...
    Yup, equine fun, fun, fun!

There's also the surreptitious stepping on the hose in the washrack. Even my 2 year old came with this behaviour already installed...

Mine will hold water in his mouth until I bend over to pick his feet. Then he spits it out on the waist band of my breeches - not pleasant in the winter! He seems to think it's very amusing.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

So, let's take a poll, is it geldings that do this more than mares? I have never had either one of my mares do this, but the younger geldings loved to do it. One of them did it mostly to the old cranky mare, it was comical to watch him act all innocent, and then as soon as she started to drink, he would dribble the water all over her, and then watch her reaction.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    So, let's take a poll, is it geldings that do this more than mares? I have never had either one of my mares do this, but the younger geldings loved to do it. One of them did it mostly to the old cranky mare, it was comical to watch him act all innocent, and then as soon as she started to drink, he would dribble the water all over her, and then watch her reaction.
    Now that you say so, it has been geldings that do it and the reaction has always been shaking and go back to drink and if it happens a time or two more, move over and away from the joker, but not run at it or run it away from the tank.
    That seems to be an annoying but tolerable joke.

If one mare dribbles on another, it is purely accidental, the one was looking at something in the distance, head raised and just happen to dribble a little bit, not the on purpose shower geldings try to provide.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    not the on purpose shower geldings try to provide.
    Equine version of "pull my finger"?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Sorry, can't put that in context, it is an English expression I have never heard before.

I do think that, when it comes to giving people showers, both sexes are equally happy to obligue.

It's directly related to what color clothing I'm wearing that day...

Sport loves to do this.
    He will also take a big mouthful when I am coming with treats.
    I hold my hand out with treats, he fills it with water and then takes the treats.
    His blankets hang on his stall front and he has now started dumping the water on them.
    I know he doesn't really like wearing a blanket, but he is grey. He doesn't get a say in that discussion. Well actually I guess he is by soaking them.

Both of mine do this. The worst is Wall Kicker who has a nasty habit of dripping the water down the back of my pants when I turn around to turn off the tap at the tank. Mr Fussy, being more refined, aims for the boobs, but he generally starts it, so it must be a plot to see how wet they can get me
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Hmm, my gelding does this, but the mare doesnt. He's the first horse I've had who drools water. My other gelding was a practical joker but he was more from the nudge-the-small-of-your-back-with-his-nose-so-you-fall-down school.

The current gelding, in a communal drinking situation involving several thirsty (and mounted) horses trying to stick their heads in a common trough all at the same time, will immerse his whole head in the trough and then splash everyone. He's such a kidder.

Sorry, can't put that in context, it is an English expression I have never heard before.
    Bluey..."Pull my finger" is a Fart On Purpose thing. If someone says "pull my finger" it means they have gas and will release it when you pull their finger. Usually only kids and *really* intoxicated people fall for that trick.

Both my horses are water droolers. One only drools over the waterer...drinks some and then lifts his head with his tongue sticking through his lips and holds it for a moment...then starts chewing and dribbling water back into the waterer. The other horse then goes to drink (and probably thinks "Eww, didja have to drool that back in here???") and he does the same thing but does it when done drinking and walking away.
    Both have to dip their heads towards the water 2-4 times without actually touching it before drinking too. Between each pretend dip they lift their heads and look to their left sides. Always to the left on both.
    My mare used to hold water and then walk over to drool it on a person. Apparently I looked dry to her often. And when I had Moo he would enjoy drinking water and then walking to the stall door and spit it out down the front of the door. He also liked submerging his head almost up to his eyeballs and blow bubbles in the water with his nostrils. Then he'd tilt his head trying to watch the bubbles in the water while he was still blowing them. he was kinda weird.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte