The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up What are Your Favorite (and Least Favorite) Stall Mats?

I'll be moving my horse and the barn he's going to does not have mats in their stalls (dirt flooring) so I'm looking at the different options..I wouldn't be so determined to get mats but because he's been in a stall so much (suspensory injury) I don't want him being in a stall for so long without mats..

So what are your favorite mats? Least favorite?

And what are your thoughts on FreLonic interlocking mats and then (if I could afford it) the ComfortStall flooring system.

TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

I was bound and determined to have ComfortStall for my oldster when we built, but alas... it was not in the budget. I ended up with plain ol' ridiculously heavy 4x6 rubber mats but would have loved to have had just about anything but them! Don't get me wrong, they work well and serve their purpose, but they are just do dang heavy and bulky. Order of preference would be comfortstall or one of the other mattress systems, interlocking lightweight, then ginormous heavy ones.

I've got in excess of 60 of these (2 per stall):
    http://www.rubbermats.com/ssm.html

Default Wall to Wall Interlock Mats = DIVINE !

Have used the single mats ~ six per stall approx. were fine ~ but now have wall to wall interlocking mats !! DIVINE !!!! IMHO ~ expensive but worth the $ ~~ for comfort and cleaning !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Hey Y'all, I am building a little barn/shed some-damn-thing and wondered about to mat or not to mat. Y'all are obviously in the mat camp and I must say I did like them when they got them when I boarded. If I don't get mats what should I do about drainage? And if I do is there anything I should do to the ground before slapping a mat on it?

Regards,
    Huntin'Fool

Lightbulb

Thanks for the replies.

Dmalbone- What other mattress systems are there? I've really only heard of the ComfortStalls.

Secretariat- about how heavy are those mats (that take two per stall)? And on that site they also show mats that are 10x12' which sound nice, but just thinking about how heavy and hard to move they must be makes my head spin
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I boarded my guy at a barn that had the comfort stalls. They were great, but I'm sure they were pricey. They did completely eliminate the problem he'd had with hock rubs prior to that (despite excellent care and deep bedding at his previous barn) and he seemed to be less stiff when confined to that stall due to bad weather, etc.

What is the cost per stall? If it's at all do-able and you have a lay up situation, I'd certainly consider it.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Hey, just noticed you're in Indiana also. What part?

I loooove my mats that are actually two gigantic rubber mats fit wall to wall in each of my 15'x16' stalls. What I hated the most when mucking stalls was the horses pawing, lifting the mats, and getting all nasty bedding underneath the mats. So when I built my barn, I was determined not to have that problem. If money were not problem, I would go for the comfort stall type so you will have no seam at all but they are awfully pricy. These are still pricier than 4x6 mats but cheaper than comfortstall.

The web site will let you calc the weight, but in simple they're damned heavy. You want them to be heavy, light doesn't work and doesn't last. I'd est 150-200 pounds per mat (2/stall for a "normal" stall). Any length, various (4/5/6' if I remember correctly) widths. About $400/stall.

I just put in the linear rubber mats, and I LOVE them! They were really damn heavy, took three guys to put them in, but there is only one seam to catch the pitch fork on and the horses can't move them. Plus surprisingly, they were VERY inexpensive. I did my entire 6 stall barn for $1900!

www.therubberman.com
    Knows everything about rubber mats. Reasonable prices. Good people. Worth checking out!

Thanks for all of the additional info

I put an email into ComfortStalls asking if it's possible to uninstall the system (and move it to another stall) and how much they're costing now (I saw some prices online for '07 and materials for a 12x12' stall was $645) but I've yet to hear back..

What do you think I'd be better off with-- interlocking mats or mats that only take two per stall? Interlocking would have more seams but would probably be easier to move around and such..any other pros and cons with those that I'm failing to see?

Well it wasn't hard for me to install my gigantic mats. The hardest part is to move them from wherever to the stalls due to the weight. You will need some heavy muscle (human or machine) to do that. We installed them before the stall fronts were up so we used our tractor to drag them to the stall area.

Once it is in the general location, you can easily drag it around because it comes in as rolled form and that provide some firmness for you to handle. I had no problem (I'm 5'3", 125lb) to drag it myself so the corner of the mat matches the corner of your stall. Once it is lined up, you just unroll the whole thing, and viola. By the way, make sure you line the correct corner. You really don't want to find out you have lined the wrong one, and then try to roll it back up, and start all over

Default This

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Have used the single mats ~ six per stall approx. were fine ~ but now have wall to wall interlocking mats !! DIVINE !!!! IMHO ~ expensive but worth the $ ~~ for comfort and cleaning !
    * to clarify my post = ! not many interlocking mats one large = Interlock mat wall to wall -- one large mat with one interlock seam down the middle or across the middle depending on how you have the installers cut it. No need to ever unlock it ~ IMHO ~ expensive but worth the money IMHO ! approx. $550.00 per stall
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Apr. 28, 2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: addition
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

I splurged and got the Comfort or Soft Stall system for my guy last year. I LOVE it. No more hock sores, elbow sores, horse is less stiff. The stall cleaners love to clean that stall as it is nice on their legs too.

It was pricey but for my older guy who has earned it, it was worth every penny. He is 19 now, but since I gave up hock injections a year or so ago, I think the comfort stall is paying for itself. Now admittedly, the stall before this was matted, but whether on this stall, which had a concrete base or a different stall which had the typical packed dirt base with mats, he developed the sores and was stiffer.

So I'm a huge fan. I worked with the folks in Missouri I think, and they didn't have them in stock but had them shipped from Canada. Again, for me, it was not just the sores and rubs, but the fact that I think my horse is way more comfortable all the time since during the evening he is standing or laying on that cushioning.

I have both the TSC budget, 4x6 100lb mats and Frelonics. I would have gone with Frelonics in both, but budget and time made me go with the TSC ones on the second run-in.

The Frelonics are much softer than the hard rubber, they're 30lbs for 4x6, they interlock and they work fantastically. They are hardy - they withstand my 1700lb draft without a thought - I wouldn't consider them to be at all substandard just because they're light. I asked around and was told not to bother with them, that they wouldn't withstand run-in use, but they look untouched. I imagine stable use would be easier on them.

I think the ultimate in comfort must be the mattress system, but if you don't have the money for that, Frelonics are a great alternative. You do have to jimmy the muck rake every now and then, but I imagine that's the same with any seamed system.

I have inerlocking mats in the stalls - love them! No digging up corners or shifting - they weren' t the lightest thing in the world to put in but if you fold them over a shovel handle, 2 people can carry much easier than dragging them.

Have plain old TSC mats in the aisleway but we planned it so 2 fit nicely in that space with minimal trimming and no bulging or shifting