The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I know it's no use, but coverage gripe...

Okay. I know in most sports, "live" coverage is considered the best, but really? Eventing? Yeah, it's nice to see who wins, but I would have much preferred edited cross-country footage (more than the less than 5 mins they showed) to complete live coverage of the final phase. I'd even rather WAIT a week or two, even knowing who won, to see more extensive coverage of cross-country.

I mean, really: Surely even non-horse sports execs can grasp that the cross-country is the most exciting, interesting phase, and that, because it serves a different purpose, the show jumping is not that impressive to the general public (do they even watch? LOL) compared to the GP show jumping they show at other times.

I think it just proves (as if we didn't already know), that the PTB in television sports still just don't GET it. And while I agree that no one's going to be thrilled by extensive coverage of eventing dressage, more than just a few shots of the eventual winner's test (and not very revealing ones in terms of WHY he had the best score-not critizing him, just - only a few brief moments shown, so the general public would have no idea why it was "good") would have been nice. Sigh.

Oh well, like the WEG, I guess I'll just have to buy the DVD. Interesting that when the coverage was on the principal NBC channel, although it was heavily edited they generally did show parts of several dressage rides, mostly cross-country and the top 7 of 8 show jumping rounds. Now that it's shifted to an auxiliary channel, they seem all caught up in the "live" aspect and barely showed in X-C at all. Whatever. I guess after all these years, I should just give up on the thought that there might ever been good coverage on TV of equestrian events. Even Spruce Meadows now rarely shows anything now that Versus seems dedicated to every boring MMA sport that exists.

I'm confused. What did you see? Rolex? On regular TV?

I though they were doing a 90 minute thing before the Kentucky Derby this coming Saturday.

(I bought the video feed and still haven't finished all ~5 hours of XC, much less the stadium or dressage.)
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I actually enjoyed watching the show jumping phase on Universal Sports, just happened to stumble across it while channel surfing yesterday.

Think of it from the point of view of the PTB - if there is a terrible crash, and hold on XC, how do they fill up the empty space? How about the "anti-eventer" types who think XC is cruel?

From a practical standpoint, show jumping is much easier to telecast than XC, and it's much less expensive, and certainly less controversial. And let's face it, yesterday's show jumping was a nail biter!

Part of the problem with that is that those involved in eventing usually know several riders personally and want to know how their friends are doing, not only the top few riders. I was personally much more impressed by the XC coverage this year than in years past since they did fairly evenly distribute the coverage among stars and new comers. Last year, one of my friends only got ONE JUMP shown on the screen since she was going the same time as Lucinda. How disappointing for her friends back home!

Also, how often is it that the top 7 or 8 finish in the top 7 or 8? Show jumping is a huge mover and shaker in terms of end placements. Often, anyone in the top 20 have a reasonable shot at getting a ribbon.

If you ponied up $20 you could watch all 4 phases live on the computer and the feed was pretty good
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    I'm confused. What did you see? Rolex? On regular TV?

I though they were doing a 90 minute thing before the Kentucky Derby this coming Saturday.

(I bought the video feed and still haven't finished all ~5 hours of XC, much less the stadium or dressage.)
    Yes, regular tv. Was not aware of further coverage next Saturday. Thanks for mentioning it. Okay, so I apologize to Universal Sports for not showing everything, BUT...since they ARE an NBC channel, it would have been nice if they'd noted there would be further, more extensive coverage on regular NBC before the KY Derby. Or did they so announce and I missed it? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SuZQuzie View Post
    Also, how often is it that the top 7 or 8 finish in the top 7 or 8? Show jumping is a huge mover and shaker in terms of end placements. Often, anyone in the top 20 have a reasonable shot at getting a ribbon.
    As noted, I was watching regular tv, not streaming on line, so almost no cross-country. When they've shown the edited showjumping, it's usually been of all the rides that are significant, i.e., they're editing it, so while they show the top 8-10 people, if someone who was 15th makes a big jump into the top standings, they show their stadium round too.

Cross country: Will Faudree needs to do full time xc coverage. THAT was AWESOME! Oh I know we'd miss him awfully on course as he is one of the finest riders to watch. On the coverage his knowledge of both riding and especially of all the detailed history added so much!!!

Thank you Will !!!!

I was happy to be able to pay $19.95 to see ALL the dressage, ALL the X-C and ALL the stadium. Part of it live and part of it at my leisure. Much better to me than a 90-minute highlights video or TV show.

Agreed! I paid my $19.95 and had 4 days of horsey goodness. I hooked the laptop up to the flat screen and had a party..lol. It worked great (Thanks Lex!!).
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Ditto. This was the best coverage year egver, IMHO. I've been trying to watch it online, on TV, via carrier pigeon, since 2007, when I got to GO, and this was the least painful setup and the most usable video stream.

As you may have read on another thread, I hosted a group viewing (Sunday afternoon) at a local sports bar in MD, and they were having trouble finding the Universal Sports station on TV, so we used my login to televise it from a computer to the big screen. We had the occasional stutter from the not perfect broadband connection, but all in all, this was my best viewing experience short of attending.

Would I like it better on TV? Heck yes. Am I holding my breath for that? Uh, no. Numerous though we are, horsey peeps, we are still small potatoes in television world.

Although I still don't understand why my cable subscription has 2 or 3 different channels devoted to selling knives (Knives? Really? Yes.) but we can't see internationally popular equestrian competitions, ever, even 2x a year. ???
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09