The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who would YOU sponsor? A spinoff from Denny's musings on Kim S.

So as to not hijack Denny's thread on Kim S.

I have a different point of view. I'm sure Kim is a lovely person and she is a great rider - but she's had her time at the top with Dan.

If I won the lottery, I would sponsor someone who hasn't had that yet.

Someone like Jon Holling, or Lauren Kieffer. Maybe someone who is a great rider but doesn't have a string of horses.

Thoughts?

Ok, I'll start with Bonnie Mosser.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

If I won the lottery, I'd sponsor my coach. She is a great rider, a great coach, doesn't have 2 nickels to rub together, works her buns off, is always cheerful and helpful and deserves to get to the top. Plus she's only 30 years old.

I already sponsor myself and my child so everyone else will have to wait.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Wink

I IMMENSELY dislike discussing personalities and who likes who, and who is better than who.
    I would not like to be a named person on a thread like this -- would you? and hope that posters would be careful to be courteous and kind. I know it's a spinoff thread, and interesting issue, but please think about how YOU would feel. Let's just list the ones you'd like, and not put out there what you don't like. This is the kind of thing that affects your business, your clients, and students.
    Just my finger-wagging...

And to add, I believe if I had a capable horse I would try and match the horse and rider so they would do best with one another. It wouldn't matter as a lot of these top riders are pretty equal in skill -- they're ALL excellent. Making a match is where the winning starts!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Ok from the very cheap seats...

I respect the hell out of Kim, have for a long time and will continue to. But isn't it a part of the professional eventer cycle to go through all levels of "good" horses?

I mean we've seen ups and downs with every 'big name" Olympic/U.S. Team rider eventer. Shall we go back and question the Tetrarch's, High Patriot, Hugh Knows, and various other equines that had to step in the rather auspicious spot of following superstars such as, Molokai, Hopper and Biko??? "Paddy" has the same problem, he's not Dan. And that's ok and how it should be. He will teach Kim some stuff that Dan didn't, and her next superstar will be all the harder to beat.

All things go in cycles. The quality of horses current and future will do so as well. Kim would probably admit to anyone that she enjoyed a lot of success with Dan, so much so that any less ribbons will look like she is in a slump. But I don't think she is. She has a nice horse who runs clean xc and can nail dressage and who is owned by a Syndicate. Right there I think she doesn't NEED a sponsor. Now there are some others out there on the way up who have made their own mounts with great dedication and talent and keep hitting some random stumbling points. Those people are the ones, for me, who need a hand.

So I'm not going to name names, but were I to get a windfall of cash, I'd look for the hardest worker, probably on a long list, who just seems to catch bad breaks.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I have my stallion with Ryan Wood. It would be great to see them together at a 4*!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Jennie Brannigan, Kim Severson, Allison Springer (who I think took some uncalled for shots from Jim on the broadcast).
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

There are several. Back to communication- who would communicate with me? Keep me in the loop? Ride kindly? They'd get my $$$$. (maybe $$$$$ or more to get a horse to that level...once the horse is owned.)

I'd have to give a nod to Peter A, who really seems to get everyone involved. I also like a lot of the YRers that I have seen.... Ah to win the lottery!
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

haha annikak. I was sold on Peter Atkins when he dropped his reins to give that encouraging pat after the coffin combo. They didn't have the smoothest round, but he looked like he was his horse's biggest fan. Loved it.

If I won the lottery, I would sponsor someone who hasn't had that yet.

Someone like Jon Holling, or Lauren Kieffer. Maybe someone who is a great rider but doesn't have a string of horses.

Thoughts?
    Yep. My trainer fits the bill and is knocking on the four-star door with ONE horse who she's made from scratch, so although I'm not in a league to "sponsor" her, I do what I can.
    Click here before you buy.

Retread, I'm not sure where you got an impression that I was "dissing" any riders. That was NOT my intention.

I would pay for Boyd Martin to come wash my car..

does that count?? :-)

(trying to add humor to this..)
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    Retread, I'm not sure where you got an impression that I was "dissing" any riders. That was NOT my intention.
    I really think she wasn't saying you were dissing. Rather that she was afraid the thread would turn into a conversation of...

"Oh I'd give money to Rider A, but never Rider F since I can't stand how she rides.."

The dissing isn't here. But I think Retread was saying something as a heads up, thought provoker to avoid any dissing. Just trying to keep it all good and positive and stick the the interesting topic you provided without getting down into the potential mudslinging that could pop up.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I was thinking of starting this same thread this morning, but I also worried about where it may go as far as insulting certain riders' personalities. Everyone works well with different kinds of people, and while you may dislike someone who is a bit shy, I may respect them all the more! So be positive and tell people you WOULD suggest sponsoring, and don't linger on those you wouldn't!

I don't know many names out there, but I have a feeling I would lean more toward an up-and-coming rider if I magically had cash to give, and an established rider if I already had a top horse that needed the ride. Once you have that concrete animal already there, it's hard to not want immediate success for it. after all, they ahve a limited career. There may be a great number of good matches for it amongst the ranks of up-and-comers, but those already at the top are more visible, their riding styles more well-known and such, so they are more likely to get the ride. But if I had endless purse strings... I'd LOVE to be able to give a young one (ha, I'm only 26 myself, yet so many great riders are sooo much younger than myself!) the money and let them find the ride that works best to get them to the top... so someday they can be PD! Otherwise, we'll be sending a bunch of 80-year old riders to the 2024 Olympics and the quality of the horse won't matter- the riders will all have heart attacks on XC!
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

If Sara Mittleider can make El Primero, her $200 OTTB, into a solid 4* horse, think what she could do with some cash in hand. (Was so pleased to see them have a great Rolex this year)
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Sally Cousins, hands down. Kind, cares about her horses, safe, a fabulous rider.

Not that the others aren't deserving. Would just love to see her get some serious sponsorship.

Kim Severson
    Bonnie Mosser
    Becky Holder
    Kelly Prather
    Jennie Brannigan
    Sara Mittleider

All the others in fact.

It is sad, but true, that not only do they have to have the qualities of a successful upper level rider, that's a given, but as someone posted, they also have to now be great at Marketing.

If I ever won the powerball, I'd give the money to people like that, so they wouldn't have to be good at marketing. I'd rather they get themselves and their horses around safe, than be a great schmoozer.

I know, I know, these days it must be both.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

I would love to see riders that put their horses' needs first get the sponsorship dollars. How about those following the drug rules be the first to have access to funds? Refreshing...

Melissa Hunsberger. She's an amazing rider, and had her one 4* horse - did Rolex '07 with a double clear, but since the horse got injured she's been stuck riding Prelim and below, and had to sell her Prelim horse. She's worked so, so hard and really deserves to get the ride on a really top quality horse. Her Training horse will get there in time, but I'd love to see her with an UL horse to fill the void until then.

Ditto, rideforthelaurels, big ditto. Not to mention the care she has expended rehabbing her Rolex mount after his fall at Fair Hill. True horsemanship, deserves every opportunity.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I would sponsor Christan Trainer. She is as talented as the day is long, just doesn't have the financial backing. Damn near made the Olympic team at 18 on a horse she took off the track, then of course made Teddy, and just hasn't been able to get one back, either bad luck, or forced to sell because she has to pay for everything.