The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ? about clearish milk UPDATE: It's a filly / and we have milk!!!! UPDATED PIC PAGE 2

My mare is 340 days and looks like she's going to foal very soon (muscles relaxed, vulva loose, huge udder that doesn't go down after turnout, bagged up for about 4 weeks now, started leaking fluid/milk today, constant tail lifting). My question is if she foals and her milk is still clearish should I bottle feed milk replacer (have Foal Response and Foal-Lac on hand just in case) until she gets real milk? Last years mare was text book and I knew exactly when she was going to foal since I calcium and ph tested. This is my first foal with this mare so I don't know her schedule. Just want to be prepared as she looks body wise as though she may foal as soon as tonight. Thanks for opinions.
    Last edited by turningpointequine; May. 2, 2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: update
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Mare (chestnut at that!)
    '12 Genever - KWPN/Thoroughbred Mare

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Some mares do not have their colostrum come in until they actually foal, or soon after.

I would check with your vet, but I would NOT feed milk replacer immediately, regardless. Get an IgG done. A transfusion may be needed if she never actually gets colustrum. The foal response I *think* is for IgG compromise--but a vet and a transfusion are warranted in that situation...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I knew it was normal for some mares, just didn't know what to do in the situation. My vet won't do IgG tests until after 24 hours (had issues with him last year when I wanted one done at 12 hours) so I bought my own test. I warned my vet my mare was going to foal soon so he'd be aware but he's horrible to get ahold of. Only open 8am-noon M-F. Love living in the country. I do plan on calling him first thing in the morning, was just hoping to get some opinions on here too as I think some of the posters here have far more reproductive knowledge than my vet does. Scary, eh?

ETA: I do also have a colostrum supplement on hand as well. I make sure to have one heck of a foaling kit on hand.

The problem is, if you don't know for sure that she *hasn't* actually come in, you don't really want to introduce the other colostrum supplements... Mum's is best.

If you're SURE after 4-6 hrs or so that she doesn't have colostrum, then... maybe.

But if she's normally bagged up, and streaming, I suspect she's just one of those that it's not going to come in until just-just before or after foaling. My Trak mare didn't even bag up fully before her last foal, had always bagged up, waxed and tested by the textbook before. All was well and IgG off the charts good... Just gave me a heart attack coming home to find a little puddle of light on the stall floor...

You don't have any fears of fescue, do you? THAT would change everything and I'd want dopeimone on hand... but if I read it right, her *milk* has come in, just not changed yet...

FWIW, mine usually go at least another 3 days from the first day I am SURE they are GOING to GO... that's why I milk test now with pH. (above Trak mare ruining the bell curve) And you *can* test fluid that doesn't look like milk, and sometimes it surprizes you.

Is your colostrum supplement equine?

You might want to invest in a refractometer to give you a better idea of the quality of your mares colostrum after foaling. You can get one here: http://www.arssales.com/equine/html/...actometer.html.

You also might want to talk to you vet about having seramune plasma on hand, it can be given to the foal orally if the colostrum is lacking. Also your vet could give your mare domperidone to help her milk come in after foaling.

It is hard when there is not a good repro vet available, but many good equine hospitals will do phone consultations, maybe you culd call around and find one that would work with you and your vet to get you the supplies you need.

My mare foaled last year with no milk at all until after foaling. Everything went fine, and she had good colostrum and plenty of it. It happens alot, so you will probably be fine. Safe foaling

No fear of Fescue. You're right, she has bagged up, just hasn't changed yet. Her poor udder is HUGE. Ahhhh, didn't know you could still test the clear fluid! After reading the milk testing thread on here I assumed you could only test once the milk turned whiteish.

Yes, the colostrum is equine. I also do have a refractometer as well. Last years foal was my first breeding ever and I bought everything under the sun.

I'm afraid she's one of those mares that won't get actual milk until she foals. I hope she surprises me though. I loved being able to test last years mare. It was wonderful sheeing the changes and knowing exactly where the mare was at. This years mare is going to put me in the loony bin. I like the "follow the book" mares, not the exceptions. LOL I'm the kind of person that likes to be prepared for everything and this is driving me crazy. If she didn't have all the other signs I wouldn't even be worried.

I swear, half of what I LOVE about foal watch is my mad scientist kit in the kitchen for milk testing. I always have to test a few other things... double and triple test when changes start happening... it's a good thing the strips I use are WAY cheaper and come 50 to the bottle...

Good luck! You'll have to let us know!

I'm living vicariously this year... no bebes for me, just making a bunch.

I soooo agree! I pulled my spa strips, refractometer, digital pH meter and everything out weeks ago. Just haven't used them yet as she hasn't given me "milk" to test. I can say that it has gone from salty to sweeter. Not "sweet", but creamier. Oh, you guys know what I mean. LOL

I'm watching her like a hawk since she's not following the book as I'd like her to. Will definitely keep you updated. Hopefully I will soon have a post saying "It's a girl/boy, and we have milk!"

I had a maiden mare foal this past Monday, and her milk was pretty clear-ish even after foaling. The vet was out that morning - too early to run an IgG, but she did take a sample back to the lab to run specific gravity and left me with some colostrum replacement to use in case it came back poor. However, results came back just fine and when we ran an IgG on the colt the next day he was great ... so I don't know that I'd automatically be worried if her milk is clear-ish.

Why not try to test what you do have? In the past I have never tested mares, just relied upon all the other "signs". This year I am testing, and while it hasn't helped me much, everyone else swears by it so I'm going to stick to it for the rest of this year, at least. I have a mare at 337 days; no waxing or dripping, "milk" is very sticky and very thick, but the kicker is that it is still yellow and you can see through it (though it is hazy). It has been testing at 300+ on the calcium and 6.2 on pH for 2 days now. I don't know WHAT to think! My strips are aquarium strips and only go to 300 on calcium and 6.2 on pH. The colors change fast right now, and everything I read says they go when the pH is that low, but this mare isn't! But testing your mare couldn't *hurt*...
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Definitely test what you have. I have a mare whose milk tests high while still looking unready. I would have missed her first foal if I had not tested what looked grayish and not very thick.

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post

I swear, half of what I LOVE about foal watch is my mad scientist kit in the kitchen for milk testing. I always have to test a few other things... double and triple test when changes start happening... it's a good thing the strips I use are WAY cheaper and come 50 to the bottle...

Good luck! You'll have to let us know!

I'm living vicariously this year... no bebes for me, just making a bunch.
    Me too! I have a "lab" set up in the tack room and I test as soon as I start getting any secretion. Our mares are so used to it and great about it thank goodness. I buy my strips in bottles of 100 now (for like $25)!! LOL

Actually yes, you would be surprised how high a relatively unimpressive looking sample will test! Some of ours only test white at the last minute but will be 6.2pH and 300+ calcium still yellow and kind of thin!

Hillside, we have a mare at 331 today and she is at 300+ cal and just ever so slightly above 6.2 (I wonder if we have the same strips, by Jungle Labs? I trust them implicitly!) and she will usually go 4-5 days at this point. I know when it's 6.2 they should foal within 24-48 hrs but she never does, well, this is foal number 3. So I feel your pain! No wax or dripping here either!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

My plan was to test the clearish fluid tonight in anticipation of foaling however my mare foaled a chestnut filly at 1pm this afternoon. She has some straightening out to do (one hind pastern is loose and the other is pretty upright) but otherwise is healthy. Within an hour of birth she stood on her own, nursed, pooped and the mare passed the placenta. I'm working on pictures.

We now have actual milk! Colostrum tested 25 on the Brix scale so we're good.

Boy, did this mare not read the book or what?

Congrats, and what a very respectable time to have it at! Did you notice any milk changes this morning?

At breakfast I did notice a change in her milk color wise. I had just returned from the feed store and wanted to check on her one more time before napping to prepare for a long night with no sleep. When I walked in the barn she was down and foal feet were just showing. I nabbed some pic's, it just takes me a bit to download (dial-up). My mother says I should wait a few days to post pic's because the filly is still all wonky. Since the filly can stand, nurse and get around just fine I'm not horribly concerned about the dropped pastern yet but my mother is horrified. Last years foal came out just about perfectly straight so my mother doesn't realize it's not like that everytime. Bear with me and pic's will be posted. Prepare for lots of leg! LOL

Congratulations, and I LOVED the posting! Not too worried either about the dropped pastern at this point but really want to see the famous MILK MUSTACHE on your baby so send pics!

"laurelleafhanoverians.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Signature View Post
    Me too! I have a "lab" set up in the tack room and I test as soon as I start getting any secretion. Our mares are so used to it and great about it thank goodness. I buy my strips in bottles of 100 now (for like $25)!! LOL

Actually yes, you would be surprised how high a relatively unimpressive looking sample will test! Some of ours only test white at the last minute but will be 6.2pH and 300+ calcium still yellow and kind of thin!

Hillside, we have a mare at 331 today and she is at 300+ cal and just ever so slightly above 6.2 (I wonder if we have the same strips, by Jungle Labs? I trust them implicitly!) and she will usually go 4-5 days at this point. I know when it's 6.2 they should foal within 24-48 hrs but she never does, well, this is foal number 3. So I feel your pain! No wax or dripping here either!
    Turningpointequine-congrats on the new baby! Don't worry about the legs yet; my first foal this year was lax on 3 legs and quite contracted (from the fetlock down) on a hind leg. By 3 days of age she looked perfect!

Signature: yep, sounds like the same testing strips. At 5pm my mare had a big "glob" of amber colored wax on one teat, fluid still clearish and yellow, but at least a step in the right direction.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Default you never know

my maiden foaled at day 323, a few days ago. she had some clear sticky on day 320. vet was out on 321 said we had at least 2 weeks. i left town (someone was here) 4/23 and came back at 9pm 4/24 to a mare in stage one labor...warm, low temp 97.7, little poops all over, i did the foal watch milk test and it came out blue, put straw down, wrapped tail and within minutes water broke and shortly after baby came...thankfully she waited for me! her milk was white when i milked her for the test...so things can change super fast!!

foal is healthy and IGG excellent thankfully!

That is a lot of legs!

I've got a mare whose milk looks much further along that it is testing. I definitely like it the other way around when it doesn't look like much and then you get a pleasant surprise with high calcium numbers.