The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Instead of pulling mane...

Has anyone found a great comb/blade combo that thins well?
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

I got one from Smartpak I like.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Do you have to braid?

I had a horrible experience with using the cutting combs and braiding...

OTOH, I've used an unorthodox, but lovely method for thinning if you do need to braid...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

thinning shears can be a nice alternative
    Mirror Image 2001-2007

you can use a solocomb instead of a pulling comb, it just cuts the hair off at the roots instead of pulling it out. My horse greatly prefers that method. but when I am in a hurry I use thinning shears.

I've used thinning shears for years. Never have any trouble braiding.

I use a solocomb, but only if I don't need to braid.

Thanks everyone. I won't be braiding often (just inspection this year) but she has a shetland pony type mane that is determined to do the two sided flop it is so thick. She is not a fan of pulling, will tolerate it a little bit but just thought there might be an easier way. I will look into some thinning shears possibly.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

yeah, i need a good suggestion for this too! my horse HATES mane pulling and always has. i didnt know if there were any good products that look natural or work for braiding

If you're only braiding ONCE, the solocomb/grooma comb work fine. It's later in the season you're in trouble with them. The hair grows back in with a blunt end and either makes the mane stick up/flp over, or sticks out of your braids horribly.

This is MY OWN EXPERIENCE ONLY and should be taken as such...

For super thick pony/double/draft manes:

Bikini Line Nair (or your other favorite brand--but I think the Bikini-line part is important... it is gentle/non-irritating, and made for more coarse hair.)

BUT, you have to use it sparingly. I put it in a needle nose bottle made for hair colouring (find 'em at Wally*world or the drug store) You dot it semi-randomly rigth AT the roots of the mane. SPARINGLY. It works. You can always do it twice... better that than to overdo once. You want a semi-random pattern or else you'll have a big bald line if you just put it in a big line. Very gently rub just a bit to make sure it's down at skin level, or else it'll just break/burn the hair higher up and give you short frizzies...

Rinse, shampoo with gentle shampoo, (you'll be getting out small tufts of hair in your hands) condition, rinse some more, rinse some more, with a nice gentle wide tooth comb.... shampoo again, condition again... You do need to condition as the mane will feel a little coarse from the Nair.

What I've ended up with every time I've done it is a lovely thinned mane, that the new growth coming in is finer and softer than if I used a solo-comb, so doesn't ruin late season braids. NO pain for the horse. I figure if it's gentle enough for MY bikini line, it probably won't bother them, and so far it hasn't.

You have to pay attention and not be sloppy, or you'll end up thinning more than you want. You might be scared at first by the big locks coming off But in the end it's the same pile of hair at your feet as if you pulled.

But, I have an Arab with a HUGE THICK mane. This is THE BEST answer for getting him to 'hunter braid' thinness with no pain to either of us. I'll be hitting the Heir Apparant with this beauty treatment the next day it's warm enough to bathe.

I have the two-side-flopping hair on my warmblood baby and it looks horrendous. NEVER even occurred to me to try something like this...thanks for the tip.

I got a nifty idea from the Equine Affaire. One of the AWS geldings had his mane split down the center and one side was shaved and the other braided. If he didn't have his head down you wouldn't notice. The woman said he was a pain when you pulled and since there was so much hair it was a quick fix, looked neat too! I'd imagine you would have to keep it up or you would have a mohawk in no time. I always wanted to try it on my mare but we don't show so she can keep her mane.
    Last edited by Belleaphant; Apr. 26, 2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: eek can't type today!
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by irkenequine View Post
    I have the two-side-flopping hair on my warmblood baby and it looks horrendous. NEVER even occurred to me to try something like this...thanks for the tip.

My mare has this too.....thus I keep the "roman mane" look on her...stands straight up....does make her neck look rounder.

so if i use the solo comb will i still be able to braid? or would i be better off just cutting the underneath layer of his mane?

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    If you're only braiding ONCE, the solocomb/grooma comb work fine. It's later in the season you're in trouble with them. The hair grows back in with a blunt end and either makes the mane stick up/flp over, or sticks out of your braids horribly.

This is MY OWN EXPERIENCE ONLY and should be taken as such...

For super thick pony/double/draft manes:

Bikini Line Nair (or your other favorite brand--but I think the Bikini-line part is important... it is gentle/non-irritating, and made for more coarse hair.)

BUT, you have to use it sparingly. I put it in a needle nose bottle made for hair colouring (find 'em at Wally*world or the drug store) You dot it semi-randomly rigth AT the roots of the mane. SPARINGLY. It works. You can always do it twice... better that than to overdo once. You want a semi-random pattern or else you'll have a big bald line if you just put it in a big line. Very gently rub just a bit to make sure it's down at skin level, or else it'll just break/burn the hair higher up and give you short frizzies...

Rinse, shampoo with gentle shampoo, (you'll be getting out small tufts of hair in your hands) condition, rinse some more, rinse some more, with a nice gentle wide tooth comb.... shampoo again, condition again... You do need to condition as the mane will feel a little coarse from the Nair.

What I've ended up with every time I've done it is a lovely thinned mane, that the new growth coming in is finer and softer than if I used a solo-comb, so doesn't ruin late season braids. NO pain for the horse. I figure if it's gentle enough for MY bikini line, it probably won't bother them, and so far it hasn't.

You have to pay attention and not be sloppy, or you'll end up thinning more than you want. You might be scared at first by the big locks coming off But in the end it's the same pile of hair at your feet as if you pulled.

But, I have an Arab with a HUGE THICK mane. This is THE BEST answer for getting him to 'hunter braid' thinness with no pain to either of us. I'll be hitting the Heir Apparant with this beauty treatment the next day it's warm enough to bathe.
    This is such a neat idea! I have two horses that have low tolerance for their manes being pulled, and this would be a great alternative. Do you put the nair at the roots underneath the side the mane falls on? How do you get it even?

Just for the record, I'm headed to Walmart today on the way to the barn to buy hair dye for myself, borrow the bottle and the bikini Nair (gonna feel a bit awkward at the checkout isle ) and test this theory out. SO excited to see if it works...and if not...well, we'll have pictures to laugh at and chalk it up to the awkward yearling stage.

Quote Originally Posted by irkenequine View Post
    Just for the record, I'm headed to Walmart today on the way to the barn to buy hair dye for myself, borrow the bottle and the bikini Nair (gonna feel a bit awkward at the checkout isle ) and test this theory out. SO excited to see if it works...and if not...well, we'll have pictures to laugh at and chalk it up to the awkward yearling stage.
    I always wonder what the people at the checkout isle must think... I'm planning to go to CVS myself sometime this week to get KY Jelly for sheath cleaning and some Nair to try this out. Then I'll probably head over the grocery store and buy 10 gallons of vegetable oil. Have to love horse people and their special needs!

I'd love to hear how it goes!

You can get the pointy tipped hair dye bottles by themselves. Usually hanging on a vertical display on the aisles...

If you use a hair dye bottle--RINSE it super well... I can't imagine it's going to react too well with the Nair...

And GO SPARINGLY the first time. You can always redo.

You ARE going to have a heart attack when the hair comes out...

GO SPARINGLY. Right Down To The ROOTs. Gently rub into skin--but don't spread it too much or you'll get breakage.

Editing--just saw the question... It's a little hard to explain in writing. I *do* go a little more toward the underside... but say the mane is 3" thick/wide at the crest... I do little dots of the Nair (hence the needle-nosed bottle) in a pattern that would look sort of like this:

_______________ (under side of mane)
    :',.':,':,'.':,'.:
    ---------------- ('top' side of mane)

(some more centered, but I'm limited here... where's stick art when you need it? )

All the way down... IOW, not really regular, but sort of even in it's randomness... Does that make sense? You want small bits of hair to come out in ALL parts of the thick mane except the very top side (near side if mane falls to far... vice~versa)

Default For Inspection

Since that's the only time I'm braiding my mare this year, what I'm doing is shortening the length with a blade (think clipper blade with a handle). That way I don't get the hacked off look of scissors. Then, right before inspection, I'm buying a real thinning scissors from the beauty supply shop and going to town.

I've never even tried to pull her mane. I have a feeling she won't care if I do, but it is a lot of work, imo, for 4-10 minutes in the spotlight.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Then I'll probably head over the grocery store and buy 10 gallons of vegetable oil. Have to love horse people and their special needs!
    My favorite's when I have an abcess--standing at the checkout line with a package of diapers and a roll of duct tape...love the look on the clerk's faces

To clarify-- my hair's so thick I have to buy two boxes of hair dye (that will look even WEIRDER with my nair...) so I'll only need one bottle for myself--the other will be unused.

Although would it not be a photo-worthy sight for my dark yearling to have patches of a bald and bleached mane. Oh dear.

Very excited about trying this actually. I've got my clippers, Orvus, pulling comb, everything all packed up...the dog's getting a summer shave and so is the horse, spring cleaning!

Don't you just LOVE coming home with all those itchy pieces of clipped hair stuck all over your body when its 89 degrees outside.