The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How much do you contribute to your horse's care at a full care barn, hay shavings etc

I just moved my mare to a full care barn from a pasture situation. She was having so much trouble breathing from COPD at the last place and now it is going into remission within a week at the new place. I picked it b/c the pastures are no good (she is allergic to grass) and how close it is to my house and lack of alternatives. But I don't think they feed enough hay or put enough shavings in the stalls. I am going to add hay in the form of bagged and heat treated hay and probably going to add a bale of shavings a week. Am I crazy? The board is 350/month which I think is pretty low for consistent care. Do a lot of you do this?

I've bought some extra shavings when I've wanted Jet bedded deeper, when he was in a stall. Also paid a little extra per month to get extra hay.

Jet is now out 24/7 and I just had a truckload of sand dumped to make a sand pit for he and his pasture mate. It was worth it to me to make him comfy.

I do not have to do those things. But I worked at a place where if any of the owners had to purchase extra things that were supposed to be included in the full care board, that was $700, well they just saw to it to deduct it from what they paid. And tough sh*t if the owner didn't like it. Not saying it is right though. I think you need to talk to the owner.
    Last edited by altershmalter; Apr. 25, 2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: added a piece of info

I added shavings at a barn that was 600.00 for full board. I've been buying my own grain for almost 2 and a half years now...because noone feeds what I'm feeding....the 600.00 place gave no discount for this, last place gave me 15 percent off of 600.00 per stall because I have three horses....new place is 350.00...I don't mind paying for my own grain at 350.00.

Wow! I wish I paid $350 a month. You are so lucky. I am also in a full care barn. My horse gets taken care of well. If I want him to have more shavings, I don't ask for it. I take the wheelbarrow and I get him more shavings. I also give him more hay if needed. My trainer who is also the barn manager never says a word. I believe I pay all this money so I am entitled to it.

I did buy my own buckets and feed tub because the ones he had were starting to get ratty and gross.

Full care should include "enough hay and shavings". But you need to keep in mind enough is subjective.

I always bought extra hay when my horse was on full board. She gave great care but was a little stingy with the hay. Her prices were great so I still came out pretty good.

Her plus column of care far outweighed the stingy hay issue, and since I was there almost every day it didn't matter to me.

So, it depends on her plus column whether or not I would be bugged. These days $350 seems to be pretty good board. Around here it starts at $450 and just goes up.

I bought an extra couple bags of shavings every month at my last barn, because my horse trashes his stall. I would also expect to pay for feed (or at least the difference in cost) if I wanted a type my barn didn't normally have; I've also paid a flat fee extra for supplement feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by AHorseSomeDay View Post
    If I want him to have more shavings, I don't ask for it. I take the wheelbarrow and I get him more shavings. I also give him more hay if needed.
    At my barn, if you take extra hay or shavings you get served a 30-day notice!

If I wanted more of either, I would definitely provide it even though board is not on the low end. I'm lucky though, because they do feed plenty and bed deeply enough.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

The barn I work at is full care for $750 a month. The care is strictly monitored by the trainer and boarders are not allowed to take any extra hay/shavings, and they must use the grains provided (six to choose from). During the winter they were taking extra hay and the horses became over weight, which they were in denial about. Some even got angry when the trainer put the horses on diets. So, no more extras!
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

Frankly if I am paying for full care, I expect full care. Unfortunately it isn't always the case, and price doesn't always equate quality care.

The barn where I board right now mills their own shavings and grows their own hay. As such, they are pretty generous with the boarders and horses never lack for clean, deep bedding or decent hay.

They used to only offer one type of grain but picked up a different brand and now offer options. If you want to feed something else, you have to supply it at your expense. They will feed a supplement or two.

I expect stalls to be cleaned daily, rebedded as needed, buckets to be clean and full, horses to be fed 2x daily on a schedule. Horses to be out in safe paddocks/pastures in appropriate turnout groups. Horses to be looked over and injuries noted. Also blankets removed as needed. I get all this and never have to worry it is not being done.

What I don't expect is for them to arrange vet or farrier care, to hold my horse for either, to worm, groom, switch blankets often, wrap/unwrap legs, or even medicate extensively.

I've been at barns whose rates are double what I'm paying now, and yet stalls don't get done or aren't bedded, no feeding schedule, turnout is limited, etc. The facility I'm at is not fancy but I don't EVER have to worry that my horse is not fed, his stall is not clean, or that he's not getting turned out....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I'm paying $400.00 a month, which is very reasonable around here.

If I want more hay, I pay 50 cents extra per flake, which considering how cheap the board is, I don't mind.

Of course, it depends on what boarding costs typically are in your area. But $350/mo sounds very reasonable, so it probably is fair for you to provide those things. IDEALLY full care board should include plenty of hay and bedding, but if your horse is otherwise getting great care and the facility is otherwise a good fit it is a good deal for you. Of course, I would discuss your plans with the BM. Hopefully they don't cut back on the hay and shavings that they provide when you start bringing the extra.

Our stalls are $370 a month. You 'get' two bags of shavings a week, but can get more if you're willing to pay for them. Horses get as much hay & grain as they need. If you want your horse to have something other than the standard grain, you have to supply it.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

How much are other barns in the area? If your place is considerably cheaper, then I don't mind buying my own additional hay and shavings.

It really just depends on what your priorities are, I guess. I was at a full care barn, one of the more expensive barns in the area, and I found myself providing a lot of my own stuff for a PASTURE HORSE and my own care. I was going through a 50lb bag of alfalfa cubes per week, and in the winter I was going out there 2 to 3 times DAILY to check her water hadn't frozen over. It was just not worth it.

Now I'm at a barn that's way cheaper, with way more compatible care. Go figure!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

As a BO I am the same way. I makes me crazy when boarders feed their horse extra or add a bag of bedding (we use wood pellets and have rubber matted stalls and people still think their horse needs 12 inches of bedding...) For me, its a way to monitor health issues. I feed free choice hay several times a day and pretty much know how much to feed and not have them waste it. If I see a big pile of hay that is getting poo'ed and pee'd on, my first thought is someone might have a tummy ache, or the owner gave them extra. This is usually how I catch people that are feeding xtra hay or grain.

What I do is have a base rate, which is $15 per day. That includes grain, hay, bedding and all care. We clean the buckets and feed tubs as needed and turn in and out weather permitting or per owner needs. If a boarder would like a different feed then the 4 we have to choose from, they are welcome to provide that. I used to provide a discount for people that provided their own grain, but more often then not, the boarders don't stay up on bringing the grain and are running out all the time, and I end up using mine anyway.

I recently had a customer drop off a mare to foal out that was underweight. Slowly but surely she is coming back, but it has taken a lot more to get her there. I raised my day rate based on the amount of feed and hay used because the horse needed significantly more compared to mares in good health.

I think the most important thing is open communication with the BO. If someone thinks their horse isn't getting enough hay or grain, have a conversation about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrookdaleBay View Post
    The barn I work at is full care for $750 a month. The care is strictly monitored by the trainer and boarders are not allowed to take any extra hay/shavings, and they must use the grains provided (six to choose from). During the winter they were taking extra hay and the horses became over weight, which they were in denial about. Some even got angry when the trainer put the horses on diets. So, no more extras!

My four year old is currently at a wonderful full care facility but because he is addicted to Halls Hays orchard grass alfalfa mix I supply his hay. At least they are compressed bales. He is a hay snob, no doubt.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

When I was boarding, yes, I supplied the extra out of my pocket and did not complain.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Horse View Post
    At my barn, if you take extra hay or shavings you get served a 30-day notice!

If I wanted more of either, I would definitely provide it even though board is not on the low end. I'm lucky though, because they do feed plenty and bed deeply enough.
    I totally agree. This isn't something I do all the time. I've only done this twice. Besides my horse is very well taken care of so I usually don't have to do anything. I am very lucky to be able to board at this barn. His window opens up so he can stick his head out and all of the horses get turned out in individual grass paddocks.

The only downside is it's not cheap but there aren't too many inexpensive places in CT that provide full care.

None, because at my current barn, 'full care' actually means 'full care'. Unlike other places I have boarded at in the past, where I've had to come out of pocket quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.