The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pond question -

Kinda newbie, mostly lurker, but not many boards have active sections devoted to farm management, so....

Our pond is about 1/3 of an acre - averages about 4' deep. We have fish, frogs, turtles, occasional visiting ducks and geese. The pasture is about four acres, with two horses. My son and his friends love swimming in the pond, so I'm thinking we should test the water for safety. Any ideas on where/how to do that?

We sent our creek water off to a well water testing place after I noticed that a small cut on my DD's foot had gotten infected. I snagged the sterile container from the doctor's office. It was unsafe to drink, I can't remember the e coli levels but they were present- I was not at the time able to find a safe/acceptable level for swimming.
    We made sure to have a quick shower after paddling in the creek after that and never noted any other illnesses or symptoms.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I have been making them shower as soon as they get out - just in case. That's a good idea for a testing site. I know where to get my soil tested, but couldn't find anything for farm ponds, just ornamental ponds.

Call your AG agent. They'll be able to direct you.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

You will have E.coli, and probably other nasties. Small FW ponds are generally not safe for swimming... always the chance of intestinal/skin issues. 1/3 A is pretty small.

ANd don't forget the amoeba that lurks in shallow warm water in the summer. Implicated in brain encephalitis (?)

Seems there is always a news story in the hot weather about a poor sick child.

L

Well, I called our Ag agent, who said to call the health dept, who said they only test well water, so I guess I need to find a private lab. The ag agent didn't seem to think it'd be a problem, but I'd like to have it tested anyway.