The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Talking Another CANTER Cutie Confo Critique, UPDATE: I rode today!

I saw this mare on CANTER PA and I am very taken with her. She's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for--only about 500 miles too far away. Maybe posting her here will help her find a home. On the other hand, if anyone wants to haul her to IL for cheap, then let's talk.

Her name is Mecke Me Music, and she's 5. Here is her page with her pics.
    Last edited by lesgarcons; May. 24, 2010 at 11:04 PM. Reason: updating

I really like her.. I would make sure that the "rounding of her ankle" is actually superficial. Her back is a little long, but not horribly. Her neck is a good length for her body and is lacking muscle, but that's expected.

Love her shoulder. She looks like she would be a nice mover.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Nice pedigree to:

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=N

Very little inbreeding, no Mr. Prospector, and very little of the Northern and Native Dancer. She would probably make a nice outcross for most TB stallions.

Christa

Pretty girl- love the big engine on her! Nice shoulder angle, nothing awful about her legs (excluding the rounding- ditto on getting that checked out).

There's a ride sharing thread in off course....
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Out of curiosity (I'm not super educated about TB bloodlines, but would like to be!), why is Mr. Prospector/Northern Dancer/Native Dancer an undesirable in the pedigree? I had always thought they were good names to see - please enlighten me!
    That's a very cute mare!

I think Mr P, because he tended to throw crooked front legs. Plus he was bred to umpteen million mares, so it seems like everyone has that bloodline.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

She caught my attention, too, when she was first posted. We look for cross-purpose mares, i.e., we need to think they match at least one of our stallions on paper for a race horse & also, could make a nice show-horse or show horse mamma. She's a kinda-good-but-not-quite-perfect-match-for-our-race-horse-stallions, but she's nice on paper & in pictures - and definitely meets the sporthorse part, for us.

I haven't yet ruled her out (but if you would be so kind as to buy her, it would make life simpler! ) AND if you are truly serious but need more/different pictures . . . PM me & I'll be happy to go get them for you (so I don't buy her, myself).

By the way, rideforthelaurels, there's nothing wrong with having those names in a pedigree - each has contributed significantly to the breed. But they were so popular & used so much, that the vast majority of TBs today have them multiple times in a pedigree, meaning you need to be careful about adding TOO much of a good thing via inbreeding.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Native Dancer/Northern Dancer and ESPECIALLY Raise a Native (sire of Mr. P) are not bad, once or twice, but when you start crossing back on them, RAN in particular is the suspected culprit in a lot of modern American TBs being big, pretty, fast in a sprint and with ankles that explode like a light bulb dropped on concrete. If I see him three and four times over in a horse I'd consider breeding or who has any hint in their racing record of there being soundness issues, I'd pass. This mare doesn't have any of that. The only inbreeding in the first five is to Princequillo, five generations back, and on separate sides of the pedigree. And she's really nice looking. I would say if that rounded ankle vets clean, go get her!

Quote Originally Posted by KBEquine View Post
    I haven't yet ruled her out (but if you would be so kind as to buy her, it would make life simpler! ) AND if you are truly serious but need more/different pictures . . . PM me & I'll be happy to go get them for you (so I don't buy her, myself).
    PM sent. I figured if one person enabled me on this thread, I'd call about her.

Default Princequillo

There were lots of these babies around the NorCal H/J world 15-20 years ago. They were big bodied and I think they were also known for their good minds. I had a Princequillo granddaughter, and these things were true of her. An older trainer saw her and asked about that stallion in her background.
    I bred that mare to a DWB (who was also known for a nice mind) and got a labrador retriever in a horse suit.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    There were lots of these babies around the NorCal H/J world 15-20 years ago. They were big bodied and I think they were also known for their good minds. I had a Princequillo granddaughter, and these things were true of her. An older trainer saw her and asked about that stallion in her background.
    I bred that mare to a DWB (who was also known for a nice mind) and got a labrador retriever in a horse suit.
    Princequillo and Ribot are the two horses who I keep seeing in the bloodlines of horses who I like. I notice them specifically because my OTTB has both - and he is an angel. He did eventing for 5 years and is now focusing on dressage with me, but I know we'll have to jump because each time I don't let him go over one he lets me know he really wants to. What I've seen/heard for both matches with what mvp said - nice body, shoulder, good legs, great mind.

Default Minor things

I really like the mare you picked out. I think she could be very useful for your purposes.

She does seem broad chested, as you would expect given the rest of her frame. And as she's stood up, she looks wide behind. Some people think horses with front legs set closer to the center line are more athletic. I don't know enough to say, so make of that what you will.

She does have the same big, "still" eye and the "I'm aware of the world, but standing here taking it all in" expression that my Princequillo mare had. I like it very much. My mare was affectionate, too, and was great mom from the very beginning of her maiden voyage into motherhood. She liked having babies.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

KBEquine and her DH have been so kind as to offer to go see Mecke Me Music for me. They will be heading out there tomorrow morning, so I should have additional information and photographs then. I am so excited about this horse...now we will have to see how the ankle looks, and if she vets sound.

If anyone has any experience with the track vet(s) from Penn National, could you please PM me? Thank you.

From the pictures I would want to check that she is not a little behind at the knee.

It could just be the picture or the way she is standing, but the left side picture she looks behind and the right looks like she might have some jewelry on her knee, nothing major, but 12 starts lifetime for a 5 year old (lightly raced) and she has ankles and a picture may be being painted for you.

She may be just fine, but if I were evaluating her, these would be the first questions I would have.

Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hauwse View Post
    From the pictures I would want to check that she is not a little behind at the knee.

It could just be the picture or the way she is standing, but the left side picture she looks behind and the right looks like she might have some jewelry on her knee, nothing major, but 12 starts lifetime for a 5 year old (lightly raced) and she has ankles and a picture may be being painted for you.

She may be just fine, but if I were evaluating her, these would be the first questions I would have.

Good Luck!!
    Interestingly, I did a little research on the family & one branch is known for occasionally throwing back-at-the-knee, and we're very aware that lesgarcons is looking for an animal that is sound & will likely remain sound for jumping . . . so we'll be trying to get a lot of useful pictures of her legs.

We will be heading out soon!
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Quote Originally Posted by KBEquine View Post
    Interestingly, I did a little research on the family & one branch is known for occasionally throwing back-at-the-knee,
    Can I ask which branch this is?

What A Pleasure is very good for nice movers and good jumpers. Used to be a lot of then in the hunter ring. You don't find them often.

Sir Gaylord is also in a lot of jumping horses as well.

That's the extent of my limited knowledge. I do think that looking at her....she will probably be a good mover. Nice looking mare.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Well, KBEquine and her DH took a look at Mecke Me Music today and really liked her. The ankle is much smaller than we expected and is really hardly noticeable. From what they saw of her on the hot walker, she is a nice mover and strides out well. She's been running for another trainer and came back in need of some groceries, and her feet need work, but overall she appears to be healthy and have good conformation.
    I spoke to Denise at CANTER PA and she had nothing but good things to say about MMM's trainer, Frank. They've been working with him for a few years and have found him to be very honest, which was hugely reassuring for me since I may buy his horse sight unseen.
    So, I called the trainer back to let him know I planned to schedule a PPE with a certain vet. He said that the vet works for him occasionally, but that he has nothing to hide and doesn't feel that it would be a conflict of interest at all. He even offered to make the appointment for me. He also assured me that he will hold the horse until I've made a decision whether or not to purchase based on the PPE. What a guy! We should know tomorrow what day the PPE will be. Please jingle for a clean PPE!

So KEBEquine, since you're going to be there, take a look at this one too (if she is at the same location).

http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ctory=279tp://

(he,he, couldn't resist )