The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Why I pull my shopping cart (aka "I blame horses for my unusual behavior")

I go to the grocery store basically every week. I park my car. I walk in the door. I pull a cart from the stack of carts inside the door, and I start pushing it like a normal person.

Yet invariably, I find myself walking around the cart to grab things to put in it. And after I do so, I grab the front left corner of the cart, and I pull it.

Just like I'm leading a horse.

I'll notice that I'm doing it, stop, and go back to pushing. But then the next time I put something in it, I'll go right back to "leading" the cart. Every. Time.

Frankly, pulling does have some benefits over pushing. I don't run over small children or collide with old ladies while walking around corners, I'm much less inclined to clumsily knock over displays wheeling too close to them, I can reach the basket more easily... and in a broader sense, it's just much easier to steer the dang cart.

I also know that I look like a complete weirdo because I'm standing/walking at the wrong end of my shopping cart.

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who does this.

And the second question for the thread:
    Because of deeply ingrained horsey habits, what things do you do that are weird or "wrong"?

(I hear these stories of clucking to children, dogs, and cars... so I know you people are out there! )

Aaaaand I definitely meant to post this on the Off Course forum, not the H/J forum...

Mods?

I cluck at slow people without even thinking about it (mall crowds drive me crazy!).

I try and bend my car off my inside leg on curves and turns. It's not very responsive

You mean like patting my truck after I park it? Or holding anything strap like as if it's a rein?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I sometimes pull my shopping cart.... and I sometimes "whoa" it if there's a slight downslope towards my car for example. LOL
    Timothy, stop lurking

I hold my dog's leash like reins and maintain a light feel when I'm walking him. Not sure if he appreciates this
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I find myself driving with "thumbs up".
    And nothing bad happened!

I am very uncomfortable walking with people on my left. If we are walking side by side you should be on my right side, where the horse belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
    I am very uncomfortable walking with people on my left. If we are walking side by side you should be on my right side, where the horse belongs.
    Come to think of it, I am too! Never put two and two together there.

When walking dogs, they also MUST stay to my right.

I just found myself saying Hoah! to a run away piece of wheeled luggage in the airport parking lot.

I was learning to drive a skidsteer and when I pushed the bucket too hard on the ground, the front end came up higher than I was comfortable with. I immediately leaned waaaaaaay forward to stop it from "rearing"!!!!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

As a nurse, I deal with a lot of combative/anxious/flailing and confused patients and I find myself saying 'easyyy', or 'hoaah' like you would to a horse, when trying to calm then down and hold them until they stop fighting me or doing what ever it is that they shouldn't be. (IE: Holding their arm steady to give an injection or something. Some people with dementia will fight you over things simple as putting on their shirt).

Oops. I catch myself and stop, but honestly, saying 'eassyyy' *does* seem to work!

Pulling the shopping cart isn't normal?? It is way more time and energy efficient. However, I hate it when I give myself flat tires or bruised ankles because it runs into me. =/

I third the walking on right thing. I also try and bend the car... even though I'm not the one driving. And I do a tiny two point over speed bumps/ lines, and I count strides between shadows or lines on the road. Psycho much?
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Anyone else get irritated when people don't obey the "left to left" rule!? Lol, I cannot STAND passing people on the "wrong side." I will move out of my way (like on a sidewalk) so we pass left to left, haha.

I also move my boyfriend over with my hand like I would ask a horse to move over. I don't think he appreciates it so much.... :-P
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I don't pull it but I DO push it w/ my pinky finger on one side of the handle bar. I handle everything like a rein. Doesn't feel right otherwise.

I also "sit back" in my truck to make tight turns, etc. I figure I may as well practice good posture and half halts whether I'm in the saddle or not.
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

When I am walking behind my SUV, I put one hand on the back. You know, to let it know I am there so I don't startle it

I also cluck and woah to humans and cars.

I canter around the house. Monty Python style.
    Katie

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Horse View Post

I canter around the house. Monty Python style.
    Don't forget to swaps leads when turning corners and changing bends!

I only get on the weight machines at the gym from the left side.