The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default stifle injections

Any idea how long it takes for injected stifles to show improvement? My horse had OCD's removed and had injections prior and showed good results immidiately. This last time hasn't been so promising. Any similiar stories? Kinda depressed thinking maybe it is something else going on as well

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

My vet says up to three weeks.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Yep, IME stifles take longer to improve after injections than hocks. Typically I have noticed a peak around 2 weeks.

Thanks for your responses... They give me encouragement.. With past injections, we noticed improvemenet almost immidiately.. He is just 6 and I had hoped maybe with conditioning and the correct work, he wouldn't have to be injected again...WRONG.. Do you start riding a few days after the stifles are injected(walk) or do you wait until the horse is totally sound again?

I used to start riding after the injections. I think it was around day 3 with walking, light hack on days 4 and 5, then back to normal work. The movement seemed to help disperse the medicine and get the stifle functioning again.

I haven't needed stifles done in years though, so don't take that timeline too literally-- I would do whatever your vet recommends.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Hand walk five days, 20 minutes a day. Light hack next day. My horse has not been lame before they were done the last two times--only a slightly positive flexion test and slight toe dragging.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Thanks again.. I hand walked today.. One side is definitely better than the other...My horse is turned out but does not rip around...easy going.. He can't be stalled as he would stall walk which of course would not help the stifles.. Better to keep them moving I am told.

Ditto the "peaks at 2 weeks"...

Gus always seemed remarkably better after a couple days, but was back to his old self within a few weeks.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos