The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Oliver Townend - hoping he will be ok, and soon

Don't know the details, but sounded like a wicked fall with Ashdale Cruise Master falling down the double bank onto Oli. According to this article the horse is ok, Oli is not. A little worried about the outcome for Oli of cushioning the fall for Cruise Master.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...rolex-kentucky

Anyone know a later update on Oli's condition? I realize that news is a second priority to Oli's care at the hospital.

Or about what happened in the fall? All I know is the article.

Less importantly, it is too bad about his run for the grand slam, would have been fun to see him go the distance (especially fun for him!) But most important is that he will be alright, I hope so.

Just read this on Samantha Clark's twitter:

The frangible pin at the hollow where Oli & 2 others fell did not break, neither did the one at the coffin where Dorothy fell.
    Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by ohhthatgirl View Post
    Just read this on Samantha Clark's twitter:

The frangible pin at the hollow where Oli & 2 others fell did not break, neither did the one at the coffin where Dorothy fell.
    Weird.
    No, not weird.

The frangible pin is designed to break only when the rail/log is hit with a threshold force at a certain range of angles.

Specifically, the pin was designed to prevent a horse from crushing the rider in a slow rotational fall, as slow rotational falls were identified as the most dangerous type of accident. The pin breaks as the horse rotates up and over, changing the trajectory of the falling horse, causing it to drop down rather than continue rotating. The rider continues on the original trajectory.

A rail with a frangible pin does not release after every hit -- not if it's installed properly.

That was a terrible fall. Probably a good thing for Cruise Master that it was on the double bank as he pretty much landed on his feet after rolling. He looks just fine. I thought I heard them say OT had the inflatable vest on---lets hope so. It looked very ominous immediately after fall. Will be interesting to hear injuries if that was the inflatable vest he was wearing.

Jingles for OT.

But Oliver's horse did land right on him in a rotational fall, so the pin didn't do it's job.

I am hoping he is OK, too! I was at 17 when he went by, but I don't recall if he had the air vest on or not. There was no official word on his condition when I left the park, but I am very much hoping for the best.

from first hand experience with injuries involving the spine and head...there will be a CAT scan and MRI, and physical exams ad nauseum, plus doctors - radiologist consults before info is released to the public. Blackwly can give you much more professional info than me, but having been through it, this part I do know...

Wishing only the best outcomes for Oliver Townend.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by hb View Post
    But Oliver's horse did land right on him in a rotational fall, so the pin didn't do it's job.
    Not necessarily, read JER's post about the force/angle needed to break the pin... the pin didn't break because the horse cleared the rail. The horse did fall BECAUSE of the rail, but not AT it; it was my understanding he fell down the first bank onto Townend. If it was a true rotation, his weight on top of the rail at the peak of rotating would have caused the pin to break; because he fell across the rail and down the bank, the weight and force was insufficient to drop the pin. My TOTAL speculation, as I was not there. But from the descriptions and video from the live feed, it would make sense that the pin would not break.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Quote Originally Posted by hb View Post
    You could also say that Oliver's horse is at fault for not hitting the rail at the right angle and with the right force to cause the pin to release.

The frangible pin is not a panacea. It can only function as it's designed to function -- and that's when it's installed properly. (I assume it will be checked for both functionality and installation.)

As I understand it, OT fell off over the rail and tumbled down the landing of #20 to the landing of #21A. The horse did not land on him on the landing of #20, which would indicate they were on different trajectories at that point. However, when the horse fell down the bank/step at #21A, it landed on OT.

I did not see the incident so please correct me if I am wrong.

The laws of physics aren't always kind to us.

Makes sense, JER. Thank you for the clarifications.

I can't see it right now, but it was rotational, and the horse landed HARD on OT. I am not sure if the rail breaking would have made a difference, and if the log was heavy, might have made it worse, a the log might have cause an issue if they had fallen. Again, not sure....

The horse was standing, and nickered as if to say "What the hell just
    happened???"

Great, quick reaction on the part of the jump judge.

Jingles to everyone involved. Such a sad thing to end the day with.
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

Knowing UK, they have teams of nurses and doctors as well as medical and nursing students at the hospital and at the horse park so they are all hands on deck to handle whatever may happen at Rolex. I don't think anyone is more prepared to deal with what injuries could be sustained. Knowing some of the employees there, I'd trust them with my life.

Praying for Oliver that the vest did its job- it is a good sign that he is conscious at the hospital. I'm glad that his horse appears to be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    )

As I understand it, OT fell off over the rail and tumbled down the landing of #20 to the landing of #21A. The horse did not land on him on the landing of #20, which would indicate they were on different trajectories at that point. However, when the horse fell down the bank/step at #21A, it landed on OT.

I did not see the incident so please correct me if I am wrong.

The laws of physics aren't always kind to us.
    Actually, I think Cruise did land on him at the landing of 20. Cruise kept on rolling over 21A and he landed on the step down. Oli was still up one I think. I happened so damn fast.

But there are some stills here on the H&H BB. http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...=364056&page=8

I would have hoped the frangible pins would have worked if these stills are any indication.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Not to be a stickler, but Ollie was still connected with his horse when the horse landed on him (from what I saw), so the air vest would not have deployed. You have to be separated from your horse far enough to detach the cord from the saddle to make it inflate. I'm sure it inflated after the horse rolled off of him, but it would have done absolutely nothing until they parted ways.

I hope only the best for Ollie. I know that the announcers stated afterward that he was moving, but that's all I heard.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Quote Originally Posted by LLDM View Post
    Actually, I think Cruise did land on him at the landing of 20. Cruise kept on rolling over 21A and he landed on the step down. Oli was still up one I think. I happened so damn fast.

But there are some stills here on the H&H BB. http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...=364056&page=8
    It does look that way from the photos (thanks for that).

I was going off Eventing Nation's description of the fall, which said the horse landed on him at the landing between #21A and #21B.

Don't see how the air jacket could have inflated by the landing after #20.

Default good vest!

I imagine we will see the fall again in ads for the vest he was wearing; that his chest was not crushed, attests to its' effectiveness it was that type of fall that killed the rider at theL:uehmuehlen WM 18. or so, years ago
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Little update on the news page here:

http://www.foxpitteventing.co.uk/news.html

'A sad foot note was team mate Ollie Townend took a heavy fall at fence 20 on Ashdale Cruise Master. He was knocked unconscious and was airlifted to Kentucky hospital. The good news is he has regained consciousness and is cursing and swearing so hopefully this means he is ok, much to the relief of us all here. Knowing Ollie he could well be back to ride ODT Master Rose in the show jumping tomorrow as he is lying well up there.'

Sounds like he may be okay.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    It does look that way from the photos (thanks for that).

I was going off Eventing Nation's description of the fall, which said the horse landed on him at the landing between #21A and #21B.

Don't see how the air jacket could have inflated by the landing after #20.
    The horse rolled over him (Oliver) and landed on his (the horse's) feet between 21a and b. Oliver landed directly after 20. It is at about the 4 minute mark on the video if you want to see it. It doesn't look like there was enough distance to inflate the air jacket until the horse rolled off the bank.

....and that is what is interesting about the air jackets. Just by vitue of him having it on, people are already assuming that is somehow helped him and are already singing its praises in this incident. Frankly, I hope it did. I hope it turns out to be the greatest thing since popcorn and helps him and other riders escape more serious injuries, but we still don't fully understand how it works.

An incident, like this MAY or MAY NOT have been, is one of the most concerning to me. There is a fall where the air vest does not inflate (because the rider does not have enough separation from the horse to detach the tether), the horse falls on the rider creating injuries and *then* the airbag deflates possibly exacerbating the injuries by compressing the body. I am not saying that is what happened -- and I hope it isn't, but this fall illustrates one of my biggest concerns about the vest and why I don't wear one yet.

Again, I wish the absolute best for Oliver. I hope the vest did help mitigate his fall and I hope it turns out that this is the greatest advance in safety gear that we have had in awhile. I just think it is scary that people continue to make automatic assumptions that because he was wearing one and it may have been inflated at SOME POINT in the incident, that it inflated at the appropriate time to mitigate injuries and was incapable of exacerbating them.

P.S. I always love to hear that a rider is cursing up a storm in the ER -- usually a great sign!

Exclamation from Universal Sports

Townend hospitalized after hard fall from horse

British rider was conscious when transported by helicopter
    By Universal Sports | Posted: Apr 24, 12:19p ET | Updated: Apr 24, 12:19p ET

Oliver Townend, who entered the Rolex Kentucky Equestrian Championships needing a victory to complete the Grand Slam, was taken to the hospital Saturday after a hard fall from his horse in Lexington, Ky.
    As Townend and Ashdale Cruise Master started to jump over a structure during the cross-country test, the horse's front legs nicked the wooden fence. The horse's head pitched down -- throwing Townend out of the saddle -- and it landed on the back of its neck. The rest of its body then landed on Townend before rolling over and standing up.
    Townend was motionless on the ground.
    There was a brief delay and riders already on the course were halted as rescuers attended to Townend. He was taken to a local hospital by helicopter. Kathy Meyer of the United States Equestrian Federation said Townend was conscious upon transport.
    The Rolex Championships will conclude with Sunday's show jumping portion, to be broadcast live on Universal Sports TV and UniversalSports.com at 1 p.m. ET.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans