The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Talk to me about your favorite summer gloves!

What are your favorite gloves for summer schooling? For showing?

I am looking into a pair of Roeckls for summer shows, but I need something very durable for everyday. I am tough on my gloves, so please recommend ones that will (okay...might) last through the summer.

Mesh is great but not necessary. Preferably black so I can use them for local shows if I must. I wear a size 8 in Roeckl for reference, those are my favorites but can't justify the price tag for schooling.

Crochet back gloves. I use and abuse these all year long and they hold up great for what they are. Usually run about $15, can't tell you exactly what brand I have. I have had the horseshoe back, no velcro, and the one with velcro closures and like them both.

I like the SSG all weather gloves, they're fairly cheap and they usually last me a while
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I just got some that are light suede on the rein side, and a very light spandex on the backside. I LOVE them
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    I just got some that are light suede on the rein side, and a very light spandex on the backside. I LOVE them
    Any idea which brand?

I LOVE the SSG all weathers

well i like the chrochet ones a lot, but i can tell you what you MUST avoid: the fun patterned heritage fabricy gloves. theyre durable, but i HATE them because they feel soggy all the time, i dont know why. the fabric is weird. i clean them, i dry them and put them out in the sun to bake any possible moisture out of them, but they steel have a wet feel about them. it's so gross, it feels slimy the second my horse gets slobber on them which is every day
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Im a big fan of the crochet back gloves. They are breatheable and durable.
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

another vote for crochets. I have a black pair for showing and a natural pair for home. LOVE them. I've had several pairs now as I'm hard on gloves.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I really like the SSG Hybrid gloves. They are thin and have leather backs and light suede palms. My trainer borrowed them a few times and liked them too. I don't know how they hold up as I've had them for less than 6 mo. but no signs of wear yet (even when I get the finger tips caught in the girth buckles)

OT: I overheard a salesperson at Dover the other day say that gloves run the same size as rings. Is that true??

I like the SSG all weather gloves as well. They are inexpensive and generally last me about 4-6 months. I am VERY hard on my gloves- I wear them all day, every day while I give lessons, ride and do chores. For whatever reason the last pair of SSG all weather gloves only lasted a month. I just ordered a pair of the new SSG kool flo gloves- they look nice for the summer and hopefully will hold up to my work schedule!

These:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...ctclassid=6426

They are completely weird looking with a skeleton / spider web design on the back. But they are the BEST gloves for schooling I've ever worn. They last and last, but are not thick like other gloves. Everyone at our barn is wearing them now, despite how funny looking they are. I would not show in them, but I love 'em for home.

I typically wear a hole in the ends of the fingers, but these have held up really well....even when I spend a lot of time giving my horse back scratches while wearing them. :-)

My only complaint is that the velcro closing doesn't hold up that well. I just trimmed the excess loose thread (opposite side from the prickly side) and it was like getting new velcro.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Another vote for the crochet backed gloves. I LOVE mine.

For schooling, I generally wear crochet pull ons. The leather ones get crusty from sweat and I haven't had any success washing them, so the end up in the trash after a month in the summer. I tried the new Ariat ones that are washable and although I really like them, I can tell already that they will end up getting holes before they make it in the wash. I guess it depends on how much you ride though.

SSG Kool-Flo gloves. I love them. They have a mesh backing and are a lot cooler and more comfortable than the crochet-backed gloves IMO. The mesh is black, and I wear them for showing as well (rated and unrated). I usually buy a pair in the spring for showing and use last year's show gloves for everyday. However, the last 2 pairs I've had have lasted 2+ years.

SSG All Weather gloves are my favorites.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post

The brand is Tuff Mate
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I use SSG's for schooling (just bought crochet back but the jury's still out on them) and Ariat Tech Grip for showing.

Okay, I will preface this by saying that I live in the NW and it doesn't get *that* hot here in the summer, so performance in humidity is not something that I think about much (I may change my tune when we move to NC!).

My favorite gloves are the $5 gardening gloves you can buy in any feed store. The ones that have the rubbery side against your hand and the nylon (or something) back. I think they're the greatest gloves ever because you can feel things so well through the rubber part and they're not warm or bulky at all.

And the best part is that when I lose a pair (they're also virtually indestructible, so I haven't had issues with blowing through them like regular leather gloves) I don't mind going out to spend a whopping $5 on a new pair

Has anyone tried Roeckel's Solar gloves? They are a very fine, sheer mesh, I think they were originally developed for cyclists.

I love my crochet back gloves for summer, I have a couple of pair of Kyra K ones, the rein side is suede, in a variety of pretty colors, I have one in cornflower blue and another pair in pale mauve. I'm very conservative, so I like that the suede color is not visible when you're riding. I throw them right in the washing machine too.