The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainer out of New England for Winter Circuit

If I can get my house sold I would like to take two horses to Florida for the entire winter show season. I started riding late and have alot of catching up to do! I think it would help to be able to focus on training and showing FT for a couple of months. However, current trainer hasn't done Florida in a couple of years. So this summer/fall I was going to try and check out a few other barns to see if it might be a good match before I commit to a stall with somone for the season. I am going to ask current trainer for recommendations, but also though I would seek some other opinions. Requirements are outstanding horse care and definitely putting the horse's welfare first, no screamers (I feel bad enough when I screw up without someone yelling at me!), someone who likes to teach amateur adults, and must either ride really, really well, or have someone on staff who does. No trainers who just coach. I have a pre-green who can be exuberant at times and needs a professional ride. Also barn must be within 2 hour drive of North Shore of MA. Feel free to PM me.

A few places to check out that I know of, are Arrowhead Farm in Concord MA, Kristen bumpus is good, also Corey over at Newbury farm in Littleton MA... are you more Hunter, EQ or jumpers?
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

or just an anything because you have a greenie?
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Patty Harnois from Holly Hill is awesome with adults as well as kids! No screaming, explains everything really well. They spend Jan, Feb, & March in Wellington. Holly Hill has a barn at Twisdenwoods in Georgetown and Cathy Grady and Tammy Hicock train a group of adults there, as well as kids. Tammy rides awesome and I lesson with her on the Cape. I know of many trainers and feel that they are the best for me and my adult daughter! I have been with them for 11 years! Please PM if you have any questions.

Also, highly recommend Greg Prince in Sherbourne

I have a pre-green hunter who will be able to do the small juniors or a/os eventually (HUGE step). It is weird to whoa in the line on a 15.3 horse. LOL. I also have a nice solid 4' jumper, not that I will ever jump that big, but I like that he can when I chip, and will be shopping for an eq horse for the adults, so maybe something older that can do the 3' easy when stepped down from 3'6. So need a well-rounded barn. Most important thing is horse welfare and not screaming at me when I KNOW I added.

Barbara Davidson-Miles in Sterling MA, Miles End Farm. A little bit farther, but an easy drive along Rt 2. PM me for details, but I do Eq and Hunters and other folks at the barn do Jumpers. Barbara has Miles End Farm South in Loxahatchee, just 15 minutes to WEF. She is there Jan - end of March/begin of April and has VERY reasonable training board, so riders can fly down for the weekend to show.