The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to safely go from stall to pasture?

sorry, it's yet another pasture boarding questions.

My gelding spent all of his life (5yo) in pasture except for the last 6 months, when he was in a stall with a paddock. I've decided to move him back to pasture for my pocketbook and his well being. Unfortunately, I just realized that the fresh grass is coming in and I'm wondering if it will be a problem.
    Would turning him out in pasture for an hour one day and gradually increase his time there the right way to do? Other suggestions?
    thanks

That's basically what I did with my boys. They were on a sacrifice paddock all winter to save the pasture and I let a good amount of spring grass come up before I turned them out.

I turned them out for 2-3 hours the first day and they were fine. The next day I gave them another hour or so and they all had tummy aches!

I slowly increased the time until now when they are out from before I go to work (around 8) to when I'm off and done all my errands (6-7pm).

They get grain in the morning before they go out and in the evening, but not as much as they get in the winter. They also get a flake of hay each at night when they are in their sacrifice paddock.