The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default High liver enzymes in donkey

Vet mentioned fatty liver disease but the donkey isn't fat. He doesn't need to gain any more weight, but he's not obese either.

He's repeating the bloodwork and those results will be in tomorrow. But assuming bloodwork no. 2 comes back with the same thing, where do we go from here? Vet mentioned taking him to the University for an ultrasound. sigh....

Thoughts?

my horse has a long history of illness which started with an abscess on the left side of his body. My vet treated it numerous times (trying to keep the story relatively short) and when it kept coming back, I had surgery performed to remove the bad tissue. They said it was "cured"

a year later he stopped eating, was lethargic, blood work showed VERY high liver values. Had a biopsy done and his liver was involved. He was put on Baytril, Pentloxin (sp?) and one other med for several months. I suggested it was from the original infection, but they said he must have eaten something toxic. He recovered, but then this past Jan, got sick again.

Liver values were elevated, but his white blood cell count was very high 19,500. normal is 5,000-9,000 . Put on the same meds and slightly recovered, but then got bad again. Put him on tucoprim and had an ultrasound done. The vet said the infection had gone deep (abdomionally) and after much discussion, they said they didn't know what to do, given the past history and lack of sucess with surgery. They decided last summer's illness was all related to the original abcess. The ultrasound did show that his liver and kidneys were in very good shape.

Since they didn't offer any hope and he was very sick, after much anguish, I decided to put him down in a few days. The next day, a friend of a friend called and said she did cranial sacrial therapy and would work on him for free (my vet bills were up to $8,000 at this point and I am not rich).

I rode him this past weekend - 4 weeks after I thought I was going to lose him. His white blood count is normal, he runs like a maniac all over the pasture, he had plenty of energy when ridden - my wonderful horse is back. He's still on a high dose of Tucoprim but the cranial sacrial therapy has done wonders. It has also improved his back, his hips are level, and his weight is perfect.

liver problems can be costly, but curable. Your donkey might have eaten something toxic or its caused by ther factors, get it checked out as it will only get worse without antibiotics, etc
    Last edited by Heart's Journey; Apr. 23, 2010 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    Vet mentioned fatty liver disease but the donkey isn't fat. He doesn't need to gain any more weight, but he's not obese either.

He's repeating the bloodwork and those results will be in tomorrow. But assuming bloodwork no. 2 comes back with the same thing, where do we go from here? Vet mentioned taking him to the University for an ultrasound. sigh....

Thoughts?
    Have the vet include triglycerides. Donks are very prone to hyperlipidemia. Has he been off his feed lately?